It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Got to Azmodan last night. What I find with the bosses is they are all just generally annoying. They all follow a pretty simple pattern. I got about half his health down and got screwed when moving from his fireballs. Not too impressed, but assume it will get better in nightmare. At level 30 right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
http://www.twitch.tv/elevatorengage

That's my live stream. I'm not very far into the game, I'm just fucking around.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dewskie wrote:
http://www.twitch.tv/elevatorengage

That's my live stream. I'm not very far into the game, I'm just fucking around.

want a live stream? * unzips pants and gives malt liquor back to the earth from whence it came *

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
immessedup17 wrote:
jackref wrote:
You can identify items by right clicking on them. They took out scrolls which is good. Same with town portal, it just shows up at like level 6 or 7. The maps get more complex as it moves along.

Agent Ness, why have you not added me in BNet yet?

Mainly my play time is 20-30 min blocks - and alot of that is holding a 6 week old in one arm while clicking with the other. Not much ability to type. I have a couple friends from my WoW days added and they keep jumping in on my game and pissing me off. I want to beat it first then start playing co-op. I know, an eccentric video game geek - weird. :P

I'll add you but if you type something and I don't respond don't be offended :D

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm 

Fair enough :D

I have been asking all over Schaumburg if anyone knows where you live so I can collect, no one knows of any fast-track ballers with a hatchback car in their area :P I am sure there will be something this summer we can meet up and you can buy me a couple drinks and we'll be square. Its all good.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:18 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
I throw up the V to at least one GTI or R every day it seems.
Oh...My...God.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
I throw up the V to at least one GTI or R every day it seems.
Oh...My...God.

No kidding. How does he get his legs up that high with a seatbelt on?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

Thanks Immessedup17!

Probably going to jump into Barbarian. Is it possible to swap armor between classes?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Imu i sent you friend invite today.

Schaumburg eh? I went conant and work still in schaumburg. My parents are off roselle.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Apologist lives off Roselle in the 'burg. Forunately, Roselle is a big street... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:26 pm 

Just about to beat act II on normal.

I thought I was making progress until I saw my buddy's DPS, which was somewhere upwards of 40k.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 pm 

I purchased the game last night and finally got a chance to play a bit after work today. I picked a monk since it seemed the most like a paladin and got him up to level 5 (just finished saving Cain). I'll be getting some good play time in this weekend since I have a 3 day holiday.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Potbelly Sandwich Shop
you guys are such nerds

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm 

Looking back at it, the Witch Doctor can suck my balls. Too weak of a class. Im level 34 and I still can't beat Diablo by myself. Fucking annoying. That aside, the game was everything the second one was, but at the end of the day I like the second one much more than this.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Potbelly Sandwich Shop
I would play this game if it didn't require a constant online connection and cost $60

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 pm 

More goddamn maintenance. The latest patch shit the bed, so they've taken blizzard down for over an hour, error messages shitting out all over the place. Blizzard, if you're going to require a connection to play the game, get your shit together. This is fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:20 pm 

I got a monk to level 13 and a barbarian to 10 over the long weekend. I can already feel a case of altitis settling in as I want to play around with a wizard now.

Question for you higher level peeps: Is it better to craft items or buy them from the AH?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm 

AH is recommended. I have crafted most of my stuff, but have taken much longer to build my character than Immessedup. I think too that the witch doctor takes longer to build when playing alone.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Zero Punctuation got around to reviewing it

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5777-Diablo-3

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 pm 

Finished normal w/ the Barb. Storyline? Meh. Diablo 2/LoD was so vastly superior of a story. This one is a bit too over the top and didn't really end with a bang. Game is still great fun, however. I'm almost through act 1 with a Wizard.

Was I the only one who geeked out when Marius made his cameo?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:11 pm 

Nightmare has not been too bad. Just made it past the Butcher, which I think was actually easier than in normal. One thing about Nightmare that really sucks is the vampirics. They are impossible to beat. Also carpal tunnel is killing me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 am 

Had a solid 12-hour + run tonight...I am fucking toast. Not literally.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:44 am 

Ok, this is an insanely overlong rant I concocted about Diablo II/III. It's easily TL;DR material, but here it is, for what it's worth:

So without going into the labyrinth that is Diablo lore, I feel like I’ve got a few genuine gripes with the story’s continuation in Diablo III.

Diablo I’s story basically says that in this war for humanity, Diablo and his minions were emerging from beneath this cathedral. Ultimately a warrior hero eradicates Diablo from the mortal realm and sacrifices himself by housing his soulstone within himself.

Diablo II follows up with the warrior and a guy named Marius, who unwittingly helps nearly undo all that the Horadrim had done to keep Sanctuary secure. Thankfully for everybody a hero thwarts their plans and Diablo’s soulstone is destroyed, along with that of some of his brethren. The Lord of Destruction expansion has the last brother Baal nearly making all of humanity warp to the powers of hell, but not before Tyrael destroys the Worldstone.

Now we fast forward twenty years to Diablo III, where Tyrael leaves Heaven over a conflict of interests. The primary crux of the game is regarding the Black Soulstone, which is yet another stone that can apparently contain all the lords of hell, thus rendering them vulnerable to all be defeated simultaneously. The Lord of Sin, Azmodan (who is voiced by Dr. Claw, or so it sounds), wages war on Sanctuary to prevent them getting the stone, but fails. Just when things seem set to go, turns out Leah (the niece of Deckard Cain) was sired by The Wanderer and turns double agent for Diablo. With the black soulstone containing all the powers of hell, the reborn Diablo becomes the most powerful demon to ever manifest, powerful enough to march on heaven itself.

As always, Diablo is defeated and the heavens/Tyrael are restored. This game differs from previous titles, as it finally looks like Diablo won’t ever be coming back.
——
So what do I have a problem with? It took me several read-throughs of various wikis and watching/re-watching the D3 cutscenes to grasp just what the hell was going on. A lot of the in-game story is so lost on me because it happens right in the middle of all the fighting. Plus it’s not as fluid as the way the D2 story was told, but let me explain.

I don’t want you to think that I’m a D2 nut job who hates D3 because it’s not D2, and irrationally dismisses the game simply because it’s not an expansion to a game that came out over a decade ago. Diablo III has been, and still is, great fun for me, but the story itself is a lot more murky than Diablo II’s simply because of how the story was told.

D2 has your hero seemingly hours behind The Wanderer/Diablo and Marius as they push east to set the plot in motion. Your character learns more of the story via the artifacts collected and Cain/Tyrael’s counsel, but are never directly involved with the antagonists until that act’s conclusion. The amazing cutscenes get you caught up in detail as to what you’re chasing, only making you anticipate more what you’re ultimately seeking - a final showdown.

Diablo III, on the other hand, puts you right there in the mix of things. As you’re playing through the story the plot is unfolding. Your hero accompanies Leah/etc through every twist and turn, and pretty enormous lumps of plot data are dumped in your lap right in the midst of an orgy of battle.

This gets very frustrating.

I’m madly clicking and smashing my keyboard’s number pad to fight off these countless mobs, and then in the middle of it I’m supposed to slow down to TL;DR the long-winded and confusing story? Fuck that, I’m in the zone, dammit! You can’t just keep slamming on the brakes in this hack-and-slash melee.

Then there’s these numerous mini-story-scenes that help guide you along the way just in case you forgot what it is you’re supposed to be doing, but it doesn’t feel cohesive so much as clunky and forced.

————
To tie in my problems with the story, here’s my problems with the game itself.

Keep in mind, I’ve only played through normal with a barbarian and a wizard, but this isn’t so much about difficulty as it is expectations. The acts in Diablo III don’t feel nearly as defined as in it’s predecessor. New Tristram’s map is a windy mess that’s a pain in the ass to navigate, then once you get out in the forests and dank dungeons it becomes somewhat tedious without much of a payoff. A lot of the bullet-points for the bosses seem very much to be adhering to the fanboys of various blizzard message boards, and/or patched together to give kudos to the players who worship Diablo II. Hey it’s the Skeleton King and The Butcher. Cool.

Haven’t we fought those guys already?

Okay, shit, the Obligatory Tristram shit in Act I’s overwith, here we go to … the desert? Again?
Don’t get me wrong, I loved Lut Gohlein. That world/act was very much unique and full of flavor, especially after the ominous world surrounding Tristram. The bright hot sands and appropriate demonspawn of the deserts/sewers all felt very appropriate. It wasn’t just re-coloring the enemies from one act to the next, you’re only going to find some of these mobs in Act II.

It’s all-rehashed as Caldeum, virtually the same city in the same place, only the circumstances are different. Once again it’s another map that’s over-large and ponderous at times to get from one merchant to the next, and the outlying badlands all feel like re-imagined spins on the same deserts from D2. The boss fight of Act 2 is satisfyingly difficult and the palace provides kind of a neat theater for fighting mobs, and once it’s done are we off to the swamp?

No, we’re going to the coolest part of Diablo III, Bastion’s Keep. It’s basically the final bastion (see what they did there?) between the forces of Dr. Claw/Azmodan and Sanctuary. This act feels like a wonderfully structured re-hashing of the Bloody Foothills, where the map is fairly straightforward and the mobs are innumerable and swarming. The goals are pleasantly outlined and the blizzard team did a great job of cultivating the environment with numerous mob-vomiting megabeasts and crumbling structures everywhere you look. As I was playing I felt the sense of urgency, it was a refreshing change of pace.

Azmodan himself is a bullshit boss, and the main reason it was nice to kill him was knowing I’d never have to hear his annoying goddamn voice again.

Finally we enter Act IV, the High Heavens.

*insert giant fart sound*

The High Heavens isn’t so much an act as it is a staggered series of mini-bosses just before you fight Mrs. Diablo. You can breeze through it all fairly quickly (in the first two difficulties, anyway), but that’s not so much what bothers me about it.

It bothers me because we’re here in the high heavens buttfucking around fighting all these demons. The venue itself feels implausible, as the entire basis of Diablo’s storyline was to harness Sanctuary’s power of humanity to rise agains the Heavens, yet here Diablo gets power-hungry and decides to go it alone as a super-demon.

What?

Plus we don’t even get to fight any angels/archangels. It’s simply a shiny place that Diablo’s pooped minions all over and we’re the janitor in charge of cleaning it all up. Plus there’s all these weapon racks and vases everywhere, it just all doesn’t feel right. The High Heavens I would expect to have almost nothing at all, the whole point of it is some semblance of clean purity. Why have Armor Stands? Especially Armor Stands that drop low-quality greaves?

The various corrupt growth that’s infected the heavens makes sense, but the rest of it all feels like forced accoutrements. Then when we finally get to She-ablo, we have to defeat her three times (once in the ever-stupid Terror World, which is just as retarded as it sounds. It’s not so much hard as tedious, but what bothers me is that I didn’t feel like I had to work for any of it.

Diablo II was long, or at least it felt long (that’s what she said). The dungeons would go sometimes 3 or 4 floors deep, oftentimes being annoyingly labyrinthine in nature, but the payoff of actually finding where you needed to go/thanking god for finding a waypoint was fantastic. The maps were shaken up constantly, and the bosses you fought felt important. In diablo 3 the bosses are simply there to feed a flimsy story and can all be defeated virtually the same way. Belial is the only one that requires any sort of strategy, otherwise most classes can simply shake up their runes and outlast the bosses without a problem.

One of the primary reasons I hated/loved Diablo II was that when you got to hell, it sucked ass. There were arcane mages galore that would nullify everything you’d done and I’d die constantly by their hand, losing oodles of gold and experience. I’d shout at my computer and rage quit simply because it got exhausting fighting through these cocksuckers, but then I’d finally get to Diablo himself.

His cage attacks are a massive pain in my sack, and the firebeam shit he would shoot out of his mouth was virtually instant death. It was goddamn hard.

In Diablo III I simply have to make sure to hit 1, 2, 3, 4, and left/right click as many times as possible until she’s dead.

That’s not a knock on the game’s combat system at all (I actually really love that), it’s just ….. this is fucking Diablo. This is probably the last time we’re going to see Diablo as a boss, and….this is it?
——
On a side note with the story, another thing that bothers me is that there’s no loose ends with which to forge a followup story. The obvious hole from D2 was Baal, which worked out magnificiently. Here it’s not quite so clear.

Also the voice acting all felt fucking atrocious. I told my buddy it felt like they gathered up all the Lionhead guys who voice-acted Fable and put them to work. The scripts were corny and cliche and the voice-acting was derped and herped.

In their defense, I do enjoy having some sense of humor in there. The Scoundrel in particular is a lot of fun to listen to as you’re playing your way through the game.

——-
Anyways, Diablo III is a great game in it’s own right. Comparing it to one of the best pc games ever made isn’t really fair, but to say it’s a worse game without acknowledging that it’s still a great game would be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:30 am 

That was Sinicylpse-esque. I dont disagree.

Its interesting going back through the game a second time and hearing all the allusions to Leah being who she turned out to be. In reality, I felt that Khule's character should have been introduced earlier on and been with the character from the beginning. You could have had him painting the antagonist as Leah from the beginning. Instead they have him for a few scenes, not totally convincing me at least that there was much to be expected from Leah and Adria. As you mention, the cutscenes dont do the justice they did in D2. I didnt think the scenes in heaven were that bad, but I agree that hell was more memorable in D2. I remember many times being surrounded in D2 hell by small shit and the strategy you needed to employ to get around stuff. The skeleton guardians near Diablo in D2 hell were very powerful and were a lot more of a struggle than the giant pillar things in D3.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 am 

Also, the Lost reference was pretty awesome. I collected a few of the pages and I am assuming by now that the page numbers match up with the infamous number sequence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
That was Sinicylpse-esque.

Except my rant actually made some semblance of sense and followed a common theme, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 pm 

Dewskie wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
That was Sinicylpse-esque.

Except my rant actually made some semblance of sense and followed a common theme, lol.

Yes - i enjoyed it. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 pm 

Got one hell of a barbarian going right now. My nightmare level Witch Doctor got a legendary axe with sockets. Pretty much killed every boss through Diablo in only a few minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm 

Yeah, the patch hampered my play yesterday. It seemed to fix the lag issue I was having. My WD took 20 hours to get through normal and my barbarian took about 12. Not happy with the WD in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:38 pm 

Finally got the barb's skills/runes pimp worthy enough to allow ball-crushing destruction through the remainder of nightmare. My poor wizard is on the back burner, however. Just too squishy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next