It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Android Issue
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop. Suddenly, the phone randomly makes a horrible noise. At first I would have described it as a cash register sound, but after hearing it several times it's more like two beeps and a bicycle bell. I'm not sure if it's the Samsung Android "bicycle bell" ringtone or not. There is no evidence that it is an actual notification of any kind.

I assume this is a Lollipop problem. My wife's S3 received the Lollipop upgrade and is now making the same noise. I've checked every Android forum I can find without success. I can't even really find anyone describing the exact noise. The closest I've come is a suggestion that it is a notification from the Yahoo mail app, but my wife isn't running it and I've got notifications set to silent already. I also read that it might be NFC, but I have that turned off.

Any help?

Post subject: Re: Android Issue
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:41 am 

weird... havent hears of it. can you record the sound and post it?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop. Suddenly, the phone randomly makes a horrible noise. At first I would have described it as a cash register sound, but after hearing it several times it's more like two beeps and a bicycle bell. I'm not sure if it's the Samsung Android "bicycle bell" ringtone or not. There is no evidence that it is an actual notification of any kind.

I assume this is a Lollipop problem. My wife's S3 received the Lollipop upgrade and is now making the same noise. I've checked every Android forum I can find without success. I can't even really find anyone describing the exact noise. The closest I've come is a suggestion that it is a notification from the Yahoo mail app, but my wife isn't running it and I've got notifications set to silent already. I also read that it might be NFC, but I have that turned off.

Any help?

I Apologize if you've done these already...

-Go and check what's running in the background and close those programs.

Check "notifications" and the sounds associated with them. Lollipop changed how notifications are delivered and such., sound wise at least. I'm guessing it's an app or notification for an app that's doing this.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 am 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
weird... havent hears of it. can you record the sound and post it?

That's tough because I never know when it's going to happen.

SomeGuy wrote:
I Apologize if you've done these already...

-Go and check what's running in the background and close those programs.

Check "notifications" and the sounds associated with them. Lollipop changed how notifications are delivered and such., sound wise at least. I'm guessing it's an app or notification for an app that's doing this.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but every notification I can find I already have set to silent. The last one I set to silent was GMail. It was difficult to find the setting, kind of buried. It hasn't made the noise since, so I have my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Cooper's Hawk virus.

Good luck.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Now the phone played an Amazon ad out of nowhere and then made the bicycle bell noise four times.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:39 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It's a program, For Whom the Troll Tolls.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
It's a program, For Whom the Troll Tolls.

Where did you find that out, deni$? CoC chat?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I installed Lollipop 2 days ago. Haven't had an issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Admin

I'm starting to think it might be an Amazon app. I deleted Amazon music. We'll see if that fixes it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:54 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
once when i was in harlem my phone suddenly began spitting out mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm then it'd start throwing in random "ma"s in the mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm's and eventually it started saying im mom im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmm im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ma ma ma im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm --- all in all it went on for a couple'a minutes before i was able to wrangle enough control to shut it off, leave it off for a good 5-10mins, hit my flask of scotch and just be like

ron simmons wrote:
DAMN

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:31 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
once when i was in harlem my phone suddenly began spitting out mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm then it'd start throwing in random "ma"s in the mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm's and eventually it started saying im mom im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmm im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ma ma ma im mom im mom im mom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm --- all in all it went on for a couple'a minutes before i was able to wrangle enough control to shut it off, leave it off for a good 5-10mins, hit my flask of scotch and just be like

ron simmons wrote:
DAMN

Yeah, didn't happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:09 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

ron simmons wrote:
DAMN

Yeah, didn't happen.

your moms consent didnt happen

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Now it's doing it more frequently and in the middle of the night. It's also playing short audio ads in between the cash register/bicycle bell sound effects. I'll try to make a recording. I undid updates on a bunch of apps I thought might be causing it. I'm desperately trying to avoid a factory reset because it's a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:40 am 

what a pain... really the only sure thing is to root, install recovery, do a nandroid backup, install titanium and use it to uninstall all preloaded apps

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Now it's doing it more frequently and in the middle of the night. It's also playing short audio ads in between the cash register/bicycle bell sound effects. I'll try to make a recording. I undid updates on a bunch of apps I thought might be causing it. I'm desperately trying to avoid a factory reset because it's a pain in the ass.

If you are getting audio adds and all that crap you probably downloaded an app that put some shit on your phone, which you've already deduced.

Factory reset can be close to painless if you backup all your stuff on Keis or a third party app. I reset my phone before I updates to 5.0. Runs smooth and I was able to clean out that adware shit that snuck in.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:03 am 

Yeah, maybe buy an SD card and transfer all your stuff if you need to factory reset

There are apps that can tell where those ads are coming from though. Air push detectors I think they're called. They tell you which apps are pushing thru ads

This is from 2014 but sounds similar

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/391462-ads-randomly-pop-up-my-phone.html

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Sounds like a virus of some sort. Factory reset should be your go-to here.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
If it is a "Samsung noise" I wonder if trying a different launcher would help?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
If it is a "Samsung noise" I wonder if trying a different launcher would help?

I don't think it's a Samsung noise. I've come to believe it's some type of malware. What's puzzling though is that my wife's phone (an S3) is doing it too and I'm not sure we even have any common apps other than the factory ones. Maybe it attacked through our wi-fi somehow.

Bucky Chris wrote:
Sounds like a virus of some sort. Factory reset should be your go-to here.

Yeah, I bit the bullet and did it. It was pretty painless with so much of my stuff backed up to the cloud. My main concern is that with such a comprehensive backup, I don't want to be reloading the problem. We'll see if this solves it. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Try downloading Advanced Task manager. Run it and see what is running before you turn everything off.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:00 pm 

Maybe this will help.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:08 am 
Site Admin

After the factory reset the cash register sound began randomly playing again. I shut down the processes I thought might be causing it. The most logical culprits are Google Music Play or Pandora. It hasn't happened since.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:09 am 

It may be time to bring in an exorcist.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:27 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:

Yeah, it's like it's possessed. The other night it must have made that crazy sound ten times in rapid succession.

I previously had the S3 and I believe it was running a Kit Kat upgrade. The phone was perfect and I never had any problems. The phone I have now seems to upgrade most software automatically. My S3 offered reminders of various available upgrades which I rarely accepted. If something works well for me, I have no need to "upgrade" it.

This fucking S5 has been wonky ever since I got it. I'm not sure if that has more to do with the hardware or the Lollipop OS. But I will say that I have a general belief that a software hits its peak around the 3.0 or 4.0 version and after that it simply becomes more and more bloated and user unfriendly.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:

Yeah, it's like it's possessed. The other night it must have made that crazy sound ten times in rapid succession.

I previously had the S3 and I believe it was running a Kit Kat upgrade. The phone was perfect and I never had any problems. The phone I have now seems to upgrade most software automatically. My S3 offered reminders of various available upgrades which I rarely accepted. If something works well for me, I have no need to "upgrade" it.

This fucking S5 has been wonky ever since I got it. I'm not sure if that has more to do with the hardware or the Lollipop OS. But I will say that I have a general belief that a software hits its peak around the 3.0 or 4.0 version and after that it simply becomes more and more bloated and user unfriendly.

We have several folks at my office that have the S5. I don't know how many upgraded to Lollipop, but no one has reported any issues to me. As I said, I just brought my S4 to Lollipop and also haven't had any trouble, though my phone is heavily customized with many of the 'bloatware' Samsung / Amazon apps uninstalled.

Honestly though, it sounds like a wonky phone / wonky app on your phone.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I run Lollipop on my Nexus 5. I have none of these issues. I still can't help but to think there would be no harm in trying a different, non-Samsung, launcher.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:50 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
I run Lollipop on my Nexus 5. I have none of these issues. I still can't help but to think there would be no harm in trying a different, non-Samsung, launcher.

I think it has to be an app, most likely an Amazon app. I have those turned off now and it hasn't happened since. The problem seems to have started on both my S5 and my wife's S3 with the last OS update. I know I said Lollipop as I thought that was what the latest upgrade was, but I believe both phones are actually running the last version of Kit Kat (4.4.4).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:41 pm 

Upgrade. Lollipop is pretty great. (Except you can no longer toggle betwixt Sound, Vibrate, and None by holding the power button.)