It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm 

July 29th is the date.

It will be available as a Windows Update to everyone with Win7 or above. Free. Even people who pirate the OS. If you are on illegal copy of Win7 or 8, it will stay illegal as Win10, but it will still work.

Microsoft is making this move to bring all PC's onto a standardized slate, and it should also solidify their stronghold on computing for the next few years at least. With Google fast approaching a desktop OS of their own, this is Microsoft's attempt to thwart a mass exodus from Windows in the home.

Google will need to come out with something the world hasn't seen to really threaten Microsoft now... but don't count them out. Microsoft already copies their android apps, and Google has the most valuable resource on the planet- search usage data.

In any case, I welcome Windows 10. Win7 is starting to feel clunky compared to modern Android phones, and Linux still isn't supported by many apps so it's not quite feasible to switch to that yet. At least Windows 10 fixes the annoyances of Win8 while adding some much needed automation to basic tasks that Android has had for years now. One thing I do worry about is driver support, especially on older machines.. but we will have to wait and see what will happen there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Will Windows 10 be good for lap tops? I have Windows 7 and kept it when they had the last update cuz they said it wasn't good for lap tops.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:03 pm 

Win8 is just too weird for me. I do think it works fine on touchscreen laptops though. It really does boot faster than win7, but overall as a desktop OS it kinda sucks

Thats where Win10 will shine. It has the same memory tricks that made Win8 boot fast, but brings back the old win7 desktop environment that everyone is used to.

I do think if you have an older notebook, say built 5 years or more ago, you should probably stick with Win7 or XP just because driver support will likely be non existent in Win10. Good thing is, if you do have a laptop that old, just chuck it out because you can buy dell latitude e6500's for $100 these days. there really isnt any point in sticking with ancient pc's anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

I know. But I've got this older one, that still works fine, in addition to the new shit. Just want to know if it's fine to update Windows 10 on that one. I guess you're saying it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 pm 

how old is old? if its a core2duo era or above its fine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
running 8.1, which is pretty much the same as 7... not interested in upgrading to 10 at all right now