It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Routers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Yesterday I upgraded to Comcast's Blast internet. After I rebooted my modem, I noticed I could no longer get the internet. I rebooted my modem, router & computer multiple times & it was no use. Comcast's call center, per usual, was no help. They decided they needed to send someone out.

Today I found if I connect my laptop directly to the modem, I do get internet. So I called Asus (I have an Asus RT-AC68P router), to find out what's wrong w/ their router. The mute on the other end wasn't much help until he asked me what ISP I had. Then he said they've been having issues w/ Comcast. I didn't have an issue when I was on Performance, but suddenly w/ Blast, I can't get connected.

So I've decided that I just wasted $100+ dollars on a POS router & will get a new one, that'll hopefully work. Do any of you guys have a suggestion? Amazingly, the routers Comcast list on their site are no longer made. If you guys have Comcast Blast & wireless, what do you use?

Thanks in advance & Go Bears.

Post subject: Re: Routers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
The Routers that the TV companies sell are all crap. I have ATT DSL & the last time I had a service guy at the house he told me to stay away from the TV companies Routers because they are always one generation/revision behind. I bought the latest & greatest Netgear Router & my performance improved dramatically.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I have Extreme 105 from Comcast, which I believe is a step up from Blast, and my router is: Netgear WGR614v10

I bought it from www.newegg.com

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 am 

Scorehead wrote:
The Routers that the TV companies sell are all crap. I have ATT DSL & the last time I had a service guy at the house he told me to stay away from the TV companies Routers because they are always one generation/revision behind. I bought the latest & greatest Netgear Router & my performance improved dramatically.

Yeah, I won't rent. If I could buy my own cablebox, I'd do that, too.

Chus wrote:
I have Extreme 105 from Comcast, which I believe is a step up from Blast, and my router is: Netgear WGR614v10

I bought it from http://www.newegg.com

Thanks. Netgear will be the one I look at. :thumleft:

I should take time in this thread to warn everyone about Asus products. I had to return one laptop (either had a jacked graphics card or screen), get a screen replaced on the replacement (mysterious black line that appeared week 2), & now have to replace their router. Either I've had a string of bad luck w/ them or their merchandise is shoddy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Colonel Angus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Chus wrote:

I should take time in this thread to warn everyone about Asus products. I had to return one laptop (either had a jacked graphics card or screen), get a screen replaced on the replacement (mysterious black line that appeared week 2), & now have to replace their router. Either I've had a string of bad luck w/ them or their merchandise is shoddy.

Runs counter to my experience, who knows, although their products review well.

Their Dark Knight series of WiFi routers are really good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
We had this Comcast Internet discussion in another thread. I bought the combo of router and modem recommended by IMU and others. It works great. I can't recall which thread it was....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
I love the "thanks and go Bears".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:40 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Chus wrote:

Runs counter to my experience, who knows, although their products review well.

Their Dark Knight series of WiFi routers are really good.

Outside of the screen issue, my laptop has been pretty awesome. I took the first one as a factory defect, & in a sense it was good that it happened the first day. When I had the issue w/ the 2nd one, that's when I became disappointed. Knock on wood nothing else major has happened.

I'm probably not going to get another router from them, as their guy told me they're having issues. He said it's something on Comcast's end & their techs are trying to figure it out w/ Comcast. I really can't wait for that. It was great w/ the lower speed, but it just won't give me the internet since the upgrade.

I was hoping my old Belkin (N600 DB) router would let me connect, but it did the same thing. But that thing was always prone to problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I have comcast internet but I have no clue if it is "blast" or not. I have a motorola modem -- one I purchased myself, not issued by comcast -- and an Asus RTN66U router. Everything works fine, included the old linksys router in the garage that I converted to a wireless extender using DD-WRT. The only thing I don't like is the high cost.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:18 am 

Comcast is scheduled to come out tomorrow. I'm going to have their guy look @ it before I do anything else. I got the call "expedited", so hopefully they'll come today.

The guy @ Best Buy said that Comcast could fix the issue & I don't need to get another router. He's said he's had an issue like that in the past w/ they make a change to the service. IDK why the fuck they don't fix this shit on their end (as they're probably going to have to do anyway). The chick I was talking to yesterday had me call Motorola about the bridge mode in my modem. I don't know a lot, but I know a stand alone modem doesn't have that. I told her I had a stand alone modem.

She also had me call Asus which was a waste. There's another crew that doesn't know what they're talking about.

The rep from Comcast was supposed to call me back after I talked to Moto & Asus & didn't. Shouldn't be shocked.

I just feel that having to wait 5 days for someone to come out & fix something isn't appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:12 am 

The guy came out yesterday & couldn't do anything. He said to replace the router.

Brought it back & replaced it w/ another one, which did nothing. Brought that one back & got a different brand (Netgear) & guess what, I had the same issue. Comcast has no idea why my routers won't let me connect to the internet. But now they know it isn't the routers.

Today I'm going to try to downgrade my service & hopefully that'll work. Apparently, I'm not meant to have "high speed" internet. That's fine, I was OK w/ Performance in the first place. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to drop them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
First...try changing your router's standard firmware with DD-WRT firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I don't want to insult your intelligence but is the connection between the router and modem correct? Cord firmly seated in both ports? Did you try another cord?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:22 am 

a genius wrote:
I don't want to insult your intelligence but is the connection between the router and modem correct? Cord firmly seated in both ports? Did you try another cord?

I'm sure he checked that. He isn't a genius.

yuck yuck yuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:50 am 

Geezus christ.. The router just isnt getting dhcp address from the modem. The router is probably set for a static ip or its just stuck when it asks the modem for the ip address.

Very likely fix would be to go into modems firmware page, find what subnet its using and give the router a static adress that is compatible.

Or, if you dont know about any of that, just hold the reset button on your router for like 5min and let it reboot. It will restore factory defaults. Reboot modem, let it wake all the way up, then turn on your router. Done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
Geezus christ.. The router just isnt getting dhcp address from the modem. The router is probably set for a static ip or its just stuck when it asks the modem for the ip address.

Very likely fix would be to go into modems firmware page, find what subnet its using and give the router a static adress that is compatible.

Or, if you dont know about any of that, just hold the reset button on your router for like 5min and let it reboot. It will restore factory defaults. Reboot modem, let it wake all the way up, then turn on your router. Done.

He used three routers. Routers are set to dynamic by default.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:53 am 

Well if your laptop connects to the modem then run ipconfig and see what ip address its getting. Then set that to static on the router. It has to work on a default settings router. Or youre doing a connection wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:09 pm 

IPv6 problem? Windows will turn on a bunch of potentially quirky settings when it first detects IPv6. And routers are still having all sorts of problems properly dealing with the handshake from the modem.

When they finally EOL the popular Motorola Surfboard IPv4 modems we have been using for the last 20 years, there will be a massive hiring spike from Comcast contractors to deal with the shitstorm. Albeit they will be part time jobs with no benefits or future.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016