It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Metal Gear game?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Anyone playing the new Metal Gear game? Watched a couple reviews and its being called the greatest action game ever made. Getting perfect scores all over the place.

I've never played a Metal Gear game, but I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge this year.

Between that and the rave reviews Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 is getting this is shaping up to be a banner year for Konami.

Post subject: Re: New Metal Gear game?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
If it's anything like the last piece of shit they made ground zeros or whatever save your money.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I have it. It is enjoyable. There is a lot to do.

However, it is completely open world and I believe you hate those. So...not for you.

Also, if you've never played the previous Metal Gears...you will be lost.
Darkside wrote:
If it's anything like the last piece of shit they made ground zeros or whatever save your money.

That was pretty much an expensive demo. The game is pretty similar...but also a lot different. It is open world versus one small Guantanamo Bay. Heavy weapon and gear customization. Mission scoring (for the 50 main missions) is the same...all missions have multiple objections (optional and required) and each mission can be completed in many different ways.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:13 pm 

IMU wrote:

However, it is completely open world and I believe you hate those. So...not for you.

I've come around on open world games. Infamous series, GTA5...I liked all those.

As for not playing the other games, does that really matter other than in terms of story? In the reviews they said there wasn't much story in this game compared to other metal gear games. As you know, I don't really care about the story so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was lost in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

I've come around on open world games. Infamous series, GTA5...I liked all those.

As for not playing the other games, does that really matter other than in terms of story? In the reviews they said there wasn't much story in this game compared to other metal gear games. As you know, I don't really care about the story so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was lost in that regard.

Honestly, if you don't care about story it's best just to go into this one blind. Once you start going down that rabbit hole, it's hard to stop...and it gets more fucked up with each subsequent game...which is saying a lot when the second game ends with you fighting an ex-President atop a crashed ship in the middle of downtown Manhattan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:07 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

Story is pretty light in Phantom Pain. And even though I've played all the games...the story is so far out there that things are still confusing.

If you're okay with open world, you'd probably enjoy this. The game has sound gameplay mechanics. The fluidity of missions and gear customization means it isn't a bunch of rinse and repeat gameplay. You can play it full stealth, or you can play it like Call of Duty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:41 am 

I'm already liking this game a lot for one simple reason....it recognizes I suck and it gives me help. I couldn't get past the first mission, kept getting seen and dying 2 minutes into it. Tried it several times. Was considering giving up and then all of the sudden the game offered me a rubber chicken head mask to wear which gave me a nice bonus that allowed me to get a free pass 3x when I was detected by the guards. That was all the help I needed to finally complete the mission.

Died 2 seconds later when the skull people showed up, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:43 am 

You're playing with Reflex mode on, no?

When you're seen, just headshot them with a silenced tranq or weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 pm 

IMU wrote:

Yep, playing with reflex. But, the only suppressed weapon I have is the tranq pistol and unless I'm right on top of someone I'm having a hard time getting a head shot or even hitting the target all the time. And I tend to get discovered by the guards when I'm still several feet away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:49 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

Yep, playing with reflex. But, the only suppressed weapon I have is the tranq pistol and unless I'm right on top of someone I'm having a hard time getting a head shot or even hitting the target all the time. And I tend to get discovered by the guards when I'm still several feet away.

One of the AR you get very early in the game is suppressed. Might be that you get it even before Mother Base development gets heavily underway. Can't remember the name of the gun, but it is similar to an M1A4.

When you get the Bionic Arm upgrade that gives you Sonic waves, it helps you identify guards before you can even tag them with your binoculars. You are scouting out bases before actually entering with the binoculars / sniper, yes?

Additionally, when you upgrade your Intel team at Mother Base...they can help predict enemy patrol patterns.

You'll get the hang of the stealth gameplay soon. Never run, always crouch...and prone whenever any enemy gets close. Try to wear the camo that best suits the environment. I've been undetected within 5m of an enemy looking right at me in broad daylight when I'm wearing desert fatigues, prone and hidden in low shrubbery.

Silencers have low durability in the early portion of the game (hell, even where I'm at on Mission 14) but you can call in for a suppressor supply drop that is relatively inexpensive. I always refresh my silencers whenever they wear out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Banner year for Konami my ass. :lol: They're getting away from making large scale games. Everything is going to be mobile or Gambling Machines.

You guys better enjoy this, because there may not be another one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:57 pm 

"Konami sucks" is what I hear. As far as I know, this is the only Konami series I play. And since Kojima is gone, it is over.

No worries.

And by the end of 2015, the best this game can be is third behind The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm 

IMU wrote:
"Konami sucks" is what I hear. As far as I know, this is the only Konami series I play. And since Kojima is gone, it is over.

No worries.

And by the end of 2015, the best this game can be is third behind The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

Super Mario Maker or GTFO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:02 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
IMU wrote:

No worries.

We're talking about GAME of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 pm 

IMU wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
IMU wrote:

No worries.

We're talking about GAME of the year.

Thats right

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 pm 

Destiny. Play Destiny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:22 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Destiny. Play Destiny.

I stopped grinding for phat loot 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm 

shakes wrote:
I've never played a Metal Gear game

Not even the NES game? Holy shit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:40 pm 

They were all great. until ground zeros. that was a piece of shit. Konami owes me a refund for that garbage. Fucking jesus. might be the worst gaming investment I've ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:33 pm 

I don't know which game impressed me more when it came out; Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid. Both were so revolutionary...did not think video games could do what those two did.

Sniper Wolf...the torture scene...Vulcan Raven....Psycho Mantis...infiltrating Shadow Moses the first time...so many memorable scenes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:46 pm 

IMU wrote:
I don't know which game impressed me more when it came out; Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid. Both were so revolutionary...did not think video games could do what those two did.

Sniper Wolf...the torture scene...Vulcan Raven....Psycho Mantis...infiltrating Shadow Moses the first time...so many memorable scenes.

As great as all that is (especially Psycho Mantis) nothing gets me quite like the finals hours of MGS2...once the Colonel starts losing it, it's up there for most insane experiences I've had in a video game...

Fission Mailed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 pm 

Yeah, that was good too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:27 am 

IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

One of the AR you get very early in the game is suppressed. Might be that you get it even before Mother Base development gets heavily underway. Can't remember the name of the gun, but it is similar to an M1A4.

When you get the Bionic Arm upgrade that gives you Sonic waves, it helps you identify guards before you can even tag them with your binoculars. You are scouting out bases before actually entering with the binoculars / sniper, yes?

Additionally, when you upgrade your Intel team at Mother Base...they can help predict enemy patrol patterns.

You'll get the hang of the stealth gameplay soon. Never run, always crouch...and prone whenever any enemy gets close. Try to wear the camo that best suits the environment. I've been undetected within 5m of an enemy looking right at me in broad daylight when I'm wearing desert fatigues, prone and hidden in low shrubbery.

Silencers have low durability in the early portion of the game (hell, even where I'm at on Mission 14) but you can call in for a suppressor supply drop that is relatively inexpensive. I always refresh my silencers whenever they wear out.

Thanks for the tips! I just arrived at Mother Base for the first time, shut down the game at that point cause it was getting late and didn't want to rush my way through. Looking forward to getting the lay of the land and figuring out how to get new equipment and weapons etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 am 

lol..."rush" through. This game takes FOREVER.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:16 am 

yea I'm still at 2% completion. Slowly making my way through the side missions.

Let me ask you, what do you do with development back at Mother Base? I see there are a lot of weapons and things I can develop, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Do you just develop everything that is unlocked or do you go down a specific path and only develop certain things?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:30 am 

shakes wrote:
yea I'm still at 2% completion. Slowly making my way through the side missions.

Let me ask you, what do you do with development back at Mother Base? I see there are a lot of weapons and things I can develop, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Do you just develop everything that is unlocked or do you go down a specific path and only develop certain things?

No way you'll have the resources to develop everything. Additionally, as early as you are you don't even have the options to expand many areas in Mother Base...or develop various sorts of weapons, items, Buddy gear, etc.

I play a stealth / non-lethal game...so I upgraded tranq pistol and developed a non-lethal sniper rifle as quickly as I could. I also upgrade cardboard boxes and camo. Also the Fulton balloons so I can extract bigger ticket items. I only upgraded one type of assault rifle and one type of ranged explosive for missions that force combat on you.

Pick up D-Dog as early as you can...you can find him between your helicopter landing point and mission objectives on Main Missions 3, 4, and 5. He will help immensely if you choose to go stealthy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:49 am 

Thanks, will do!

Found a good wiki on IGN that gives tips for the early part of the game and they emphasize getting the dog. I'm gonna go look for him next time I play.

I've been trying to play a stealth game too, but that seems to only last so long and before I know it I'm blasting away at a bunch of people. I'm definitely going to upgrade the stun gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 pm 

Just play the original.

Pro Tip: The cigarettes will be handy later on...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:12 pm 

I should probably bust out MG and MG2:SS on an emulator on a boring Saturday. Maybe even MGS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 pm 

IMU wrote:
I should probably bust out MG and MG2:SS on an emulator on a boring Saturday. Maybe even MGS.

The only other Metal Gear I played, save the original NES version, was the first one on playstation.

There was nothing better than that.