It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Metal Gear game?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Got the puppy finally, now waiting for him to grow.

I've been doing all the side missions as soon as they pop up..one thing I noticed is that I keep having to go back to the same town to do the same missions over and over again, for instance rescuing a prisoner. Does that change at some point or are a lot of missions repetitive?

I like how there is no right way to do a mission. Had one the other day where I went in and stealthed my way through half the base before I got discovered and then I ran to the hills where I set up shop and sniped the rest before a few soliders tracked me down for some hand to hand action.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
shakes wrote:
Got the puppy finally, now waiting for him to grow.

I've been doing all the side missions as soon as they pop up..one thing I noticed is that I keep having to go back to the same town to do the same missions over and over again, for instance rescuing a prisoner. Does that change at some point or are a lot of missions repetitive?

I like how there is no right way to do a mission. Had one the other day where I went in and stealthed my way through half the base before I got discovered and then I ran to the hills where I set up shop and sniped the rest before a few soliders tracked me down for some hand to hand action.

The zones are repetitive. There are 30-40 total 'bases' between the two maps, and numerous more outposts. The 30-40 bases have static layouts...but the troops / security cameras / vehicles / etc evolve over the course of the game. Bases get tougher. But having memorized the bases from previous visits helps formulate strategies going forward.

Completing many missions in a row with the same strategy is actually a bad idea...as it results in the enemy taking countermeasures. A lot of headshots = enemies start wearing more ballistic helmets. Staying at range...enemy starts using more snipers. Always going in at night...enemy uses NVG.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:07 pm 

IMU wrote:
The zones are repetitive. There are 30-40 total 'bases' between the two maps, and numerous more outposts. The 30-40 bases have static layouts...but the troops / security cameras / vehicles / etc evolve over the course of the game. Bases get tougher. But having memorized the bases from previous visits helps formulate strategies going forward.

Completing many missions in a row with the same strategy is actually a bad idea...as it results in the enemy taking countermeasures. A lot of headshots = enemies start wearing more ballistic helmets. Staying at range...enemy starts using more snipers. Always going in at night...enemy uses NVG.

yea I've been reading about the countermeasures. I have noticed that some of the guards have helmets on now. And after I started sniping they sent a sniper after me.

I usually go in at 1800 hours, but I'll start mixing it up. I take so long anyway on many missions that I end up in daylight before its done.

Cool game, I'm only 4% into it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am 

Learned a valuable and costly lesson over the weekend. You can't just leave your XBOX1 on for days at a time, it won't turn off by itself like the PS4 does. Well, apparently you can set it to auto shut off, but I didn't realize that. Anyway, fried my Xbox, its broken now, won't play any games. I'm only 15% into this game, but it took me a month to get that far.

Bit the bullet and traded in my Xbox copy of the game for a PS4 copy and started over last night. Good news is I am flying through the early parts of the game now that I know how to play it. But still probably gonna take me at least a couple weeks to get back to where I was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:47 am 

I haven't played since I beat Chapter 1 and got to Chapter 2. Still, if I never play another minute...was easily worth the $60.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:13 pm 

IMU wrote:
I haven't played since I beat Chapter 1 and got to Chapter 2. Still, if I never play another minute...was easily worth the $60.

How come you stopped? Did you find the gameplay repetitive? I've read some complaints along the line that despite all the weapons and gadgets you can basically get through the entire game just using tranquilizer guns and fultons. I'm only 15% in, but I've come to rely solely on those for the most part. Throw in a assault rifle and rocket launcher and that's pretty much my loadout for every mission.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

How come you stopped? Did you find the gameplay repetitive? I've read some complaints along the line that despite all the weapons and gadgets you can basically get through the entire game just using tranquilizer guns and fultons. I'm only 15% in, but I've come to rely solely on those for the most part. Throw in a assault rifle and rocket launcher and that's pretty much my loadout for every mission.

I don't want to ruin anything about Chapter 2, but it changes the game a lot. It is still fun, just 'not as fun for me.' I decided I needed to finish The Witcher 3 before Fallout 4 comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:37 am 

So I finally unlocked Quiet as a buddy. I'm wondering if its worth using her in that capacity? Is she better than the dog? The dog seems pretty amazing as it is. Wondering if I should bother trying to increase the bond with Quiet or if I should just stick with D-dog.

Also got the walker gear, but not sure when I will use that instead of the dog either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:44 am 

I used Quiet most often. She gets a silenced, tranquilizer sniper that is pretty legit for stealthy approaches.

I never used D-Walker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am 

makes sense, a silenced tranq sniper would be the perfect weapon for this game. I'm gonna start using her more often.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:08 pm 

IMU, what do you think of the FOB part of the game? I just got there and so far I'm not liking it. Don't want to spend the resources to deal with it and don't plan on going on any offensive FOB missions. Can you just avoid that aspect of the game altogether? Will my base get invaded if I'm not participating? And if it does, what do you lose?

Trying to decide if I really need to spend the money on building up defenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:12 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU, what do you think of the FOB part of the game? I just got there and so far I'm not liking it. Don't want to spend the resources to deal with it and don't plan on going on any offensive FOB missions. Can you just avoid that aspect of the game altogether? Will my base get invaded if I'm not participating? And if it does, what do you lose?

I don't pay for PS+. I did not mess with it at all. In fact, I played the game in offline mode because it speeds up the menus immensely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:14 pm 

IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:

I don't pay for PS+. I did not mess with it at all. In fact, I played the game in offline mode because it speeds up the menus immensely.

I don't pay for PS+ either, does that mean I won't have to worry about getting invaded?

The problem with offline mode is that the game holds some of your GMP hostage if you don't go online. Nothing worse than logging in and seeing $700,000 drop out of your account and you go into the red.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:17 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:

I don't pay for PS+ either, does that mean I won't have to worry about getting invaded?

The problem with offline mode is that the game holds some of your GMP hostage if you don't go online. Nothing worse than logging in and seeing $700,000 drop out of your account and you go into the red.

You need PS+ for the FOB attacking and defending to work, I think.

I was never attacked in the short time I didn't have offline mode on.

I never noticed GMP get taken away or anything with offline mode. I also had plenty of GMP by selling extra plants, vehicles, gun emplacements, and materials (I always had a huge surplus of Common Metal).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:19 pm 

nice, I'm not gonna waste any time or money on it then. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 am 

So I basically finished this game for all intents and purposes. IMU, you mentioned earlier how you played chapter 1, but chose not to play chapter 2. At the time I thought that was odd since Chapter 1 was so fun, but now I get it. I've never seen a game take such a fall off a cliff halfway through it. Chapter 2 is horrible. Most of the missions are just replays of previous missions. Of the 50 total missions in the game, only 34 of them are original. And only 1 boss battle in the whole game.

I would give chapter 1 an A+. Some of the most fun I've ever had playing a game.

I would give chapter 2 an F-. Such a waste of time.

Really torn overall about this game. Left me with a bad taste, but the fact is I did basically play this game almost every day for nearly 3 months which says alot for the good qualities this game has.

I hope someone takes over the franchise and does an open world sequel. The framework is there for an outstanding game. They just need someone smart to come in and fine tune it in regards to story, mission structure and filling out the open world environment. They already nailed gameplay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:55 pm 

I figure most share our opinion of it. When it first came out, everyone was happy. But months after... the general thought is how it ended up being disappointing.