It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: windows 10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:15 pm 

just took the system update to windows 10. i must say it was absolutely painless.... installed just like any old update and only took maybe 20min.

all my files, apps, and configurations stayed the same too, very impressed how seamless it upgraded from win7

only did it because i suspected some of my apps (firefox) were lagging on website and crashing because development/updates for win7 have been fairly nonexistant for some time now (just security updates that slow things down). my guess seemed right, firefox is MUCH faster and hasnt crashed yet in win10

overall though, i see a whole hell of a lot of linux in this os... the login screen is nearly identical to many linux distros, and the overall flow of the menus work just like popular linux distros too. smart move by microsoft really, because linux has a lot of right ideas.

for the price (free.99) i kinda like it. had to disable about 8 services that phone home to microsoft on your every move though, but i guess thats the norm these days.

Post subject: Re: windows 10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
If you had Windows 8, anything is an upgrade from that POS.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I have 7, went to Windows 10 on release day, but some of my games and Adobe CC stuff didn't work well. Rolled back. Will try Windows 10 again within a month or two, after I make sure everything will work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
IMU wrote:
I have 7, went to Windows 10 on release day, but some of my games and Adobe CC stuff didn't work well. Rolled back. Will try Windows 10 again within a month or two, after I make sure everything will work.

We have 7 on all of our laptops and I too am not jumping at the chance to go to 10. I'll wait as long as I can.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Scorehead wrote:
IMU wrote:

We have 7 on all of our laptops and I too am not jumping at the chance to go to 10. I'll wait as long as I can.

Don't get me wrong, I want to go to Windows 10. I just need to wait until all of my programs work without a hitch.

Windows 10 fits into the every other Windows OS being good. Going back 20 years.

Windows 10 - good
Windows 8 - bad
Windows 7 - good
Windows Vista - bad
Windows XP - good
Windows me - bad
Windows 98 - good
etc...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
8.1 isn't as bad a Vista was.

I don't do anything w/ it other than go on the internet & play my games.

I'm still not ready to upgrade to 10 yet. I will sometime before the free upgrade ends.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
IMU wrote:
Windows 98 - good
etc...

Windows 95 bad?

I'm on Win 10 and it has been pretty good -- really feels like 7 to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:23 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
8.1 was alright. It's basically 10's GUI with more metro bullshit. I do like 10 quite a bit, though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I got a new PC last week with 10 loaded. It seems fine but i have one peculiarity. Once in a while when signing in or signing our it becomes unresponsive. It doesn't really freeze but sits there with the spinning circle of dots.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 am 

turn off all of the monitoring. go into the privacy settings and turn off everything that might upload data to microsoft. this isnt to be paranoid, its more of just turning off unnecessary resources being chewed up and causing slowdowns.

also go to search bar and type in services.msc

disable the diagnostic tracking service. fuck that shit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:14 am 

i also noticed the ONLY thing i could find that didnt update properly was the video card drivers.

i had some slowdowns on flash sites, and the system was running warm even when it was at idle.

noticed ati catalyst control center wasnt installed. went to ati website, downloaded that, and BOOM everything is silky smooth and cool runnings. right near the beach bitches holla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
pittmike wrote:
I got a new PC last week with 10 loaded. It seems fine but i have one peculiarity. Once in a while when signing in or signing our it becomes unresponsive. It doesn't really freeze but sits there with the spinning circle of dots.

1. Go into Start/Settings/Privacy and disable, well, basically everything. This goes for all Windows 10 users anywhere.
2. Start/Settings/Update & Security and check for updates. Install and restart.