It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Been an Apple guy at home for the last 2 computers. Think I'm gonna stay with them just cause Im scared of viruses. Plus they're not that much more expensive than similar high end Windows based laptops.

My question is this, if I'm just using it for at home use such as internet, netflix, storing photos and home movies and possibly some home movie editing (if I ever figure out how to do that) how much memory do I need? Would also like to be able to use it for work with Word. The macbook pro comes with 8gb, but I can upgrade to 16 for $200. Do I need that?

Any other upgrades I should consider or am I fine with the stock model given my limited usage?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 pm 

shakes wrote:
My question is this, if I'm just using it for at home use such as internet, netflix, storing photos and home movies and possibly some home movie editing (if I ever figure out how to do that) how much memory do I need? Would also like to be able to use it for work with Word. The macbook pro comes with 8gb, but I can upgrade to 16 for $200. Do I need that?
8gb should be good for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Buy ESET anti virus protection. Best ever. Had for 8 years never an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Cloud

This is what we do. You can buy more storage in the cloud for less than upgrading your computer.
But, we don't really use our home computer for much more than music and photos.
And typing on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
spanky wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Cloud

This is what we do. You can buy more storage in the cloud for less than upgrading your computer.
But, we don't really use our home computer for much more than music and photos.
And typing on this site.

It really is the biggest no-brainer in the history of earth. Of course, my wife buys my stepdaughter a MacBook Pro for her to write her college papers on. :roll: I do quite a bit of programming, and I can easily live with a $400 Toshiba. For any regular surfer or casual user of the Internet, you really have to go cloud.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 am 

How do you get Cloud? I thought that was part of Apple anyway and I already have it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Just get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Diskless-Ne ... d+my+cloud

Essentially a personal NAS that you can access from anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:55 pm 

I prefer a home built nas... But thats only because i have fun with the setup and config. If u want no hassle just use the cloud.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
IkeSouth wrote:
I prefer a home built nas... But thats only because i have fun with the setup and config. If u want no hassle just use the cloud.

For sure, but the Western Digital MyCloud stuff is decently user friendly and have never had issues with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:07 pm 

that still doesn't answer my question. What's the difference between the cloud devices just posted and the cloud you get when you buy an Apple product? Does that cloud device even work with Apple products?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
shakes wrote:
that still doesn't answer my question. What's the difference between the cloud devices just posted and the cloud you get when you buy an Apple product? Does that cloud device even work with Apple products?

Apple cloud is owned and maintained by Apple. You pay a monthly fee for extra storage.

The WD MyCloud is storage device that you purchase and plug into your wireless router. It's basically an external hard drive connected to your wireless network. You can buy ones of different sizes for various prices, but they can store more than 1 TB of data. You own the equipment and you maintain it. And you can access it from anywhere through with a password. Even on devices you do not own. Apple products do work with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
For jacking around at home I got a Dell "all in one" desktop. Love it but had a laptop already. Screen size a big plus.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:03 pm 

shakes wrote:
There are two types.

Online cloud: A company does it all for you. They store it. They make sure it is backed up. You store any of your files on there. If you've ever used webmail, it is similar to that where your email is stored there. They all connect with Apple devices, but Apple probably makes it more closely integrated.

Home/Physical cloud: You get a physical box, which you basically just plug in and put in your wireless router code, and you can store your files there on multiple computers. No one else owns your stuff, and you are susceptible to data loss if it breaks/gets wet/gets burned. However, you don't pay a monthly fee for it, you get a lot more storage, and it will be faster when you are at home.

If you aren't good with computers, just use the online stuff. I like Google Drive better, but that is pretty much because I've given Google every piece of identifying information possible already so if they want to read my 2014 tax returns then go ahead rather than another company that doesn't know everything about me.

So basically, use the Apple stuff, or try Google Drive. You can actually use both.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
There are two types.

Online cloud: A company does it all for you. They store it. They make sure it is backed up. You store any of your files on there. If you've ever used webmail, it is similar to that where your email is stored there. They all connect with Apple devices, but Apple probably makes it more closely integrated.

Home/Physical cloud: You get a physical box, which you basically just plug in and put in your wireless router code, and you can store your files there on multiple computers. No one else owns your stuff, and you are susceptible to data loss if it breaks/gets wet/gets burned. However, you don't pay a monthly fee for it, you get a lot more storage, and it will be faster when you are at home.

If you aren't good with computers, just use the online stuff. I like Google Drive better, but that is pretty much because I've given Google every piece of identifying information possible already so if they want to read my 2014 tax returns then go ahead rather than another company that doesn't know everything about me.

So basically, use the Apple stuff, or try Google Drive. You can actually use both.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Ended up going with the Apple macbook pro, not gonna get the external storage for now. Didn't get the apple care, gonna go with Square Trade instead, I hear that's the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I prefer an argumentative NAS who would try to make me think the sky is pink on a cloudless day.