All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Witcher 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 pm 

IMU wrote:
Juiced wrote:
shakes wrote:
Juiced wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I’ve come a looong way. This is an outstanding game.

I figured out my issues early on. I’m playing on the 2nd hardest level now.

I just killed Whoreson Jr. and am at level 16. What a sick fuck. As far as video games go, that’s probably the closest I’ve come to actual emotion.

Getting pretty good at Gwent too but I still occasionally run across someone I stand no chance against.

IMU - loving the Dandelion avatar.

I tried this a couple months ago and thought it was just ok. Made it past the first town and then stopped playing it. Does it get better as the story unfolds? Maybe I was expected too much from all the hype.

It's a 200 hour game so yes, things pick up past the few hours you've put into it so far.

I will give it another shot. Trying Dragon's Age inquisition ATM.

DA:Inquisition is absolute garbage compared to the Witcher. I tried so hard to get into that game but man is it the worst combination of kill x / fetch y quests that would test my patience in an MMO, let alone an open world single player RPG.

Stick with the Witcher. It is a far more immersive world, filled with things to do and discover, and each quest has a storyline or color to it. The dialogue and voice acting is better. Graphics. Etc.

I'll give it another shot. I played FFXIV when it first came out before the update. It was ok, lagged a lot. LOTRO I never tried, even though it has been out for awhile now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
LOTRO has a great open world, solid story, good looking vistas, and solid quest progression if you play solo or in a small group. It also has the IP. It has good dungeon design and mechanics, but that is hampered by the difficulty in putting groups together. The instance finder works poorly, and shouting in world chat even 10 years ago was a poor solution. Classes are designed well an almost all of them have the fluidity to take on different roles based on spec. Developer has updated architecture so graphics are way better than a 10 year old game would imply.

FFXIV has a tighter combat system and excellent instance design. It also has the best group finder I've ever heard of and getting into groups and dungeons is a breeze. Gear and skill progression makes a lot of sense, and the graphics are nice. A huge con is that it is definitely an asian MMO...there is no grinding, but there is a ton of anime / chibi influences and I'm not into that type of stuff at all. Some of the dialogue and cutscenes are extremely cringe worthy. Classes have very defined roles and parties are only 4 or 8 members large, and are very structured (an 8 man dungeon is 4x DPS, 2x Tank, 2x Healer). Support classes don't exist, and crowd control isn't a mechanic in the game. Very streamlined.

FFXIV is probably the better MMO overall in 2017, but LOTRO has a certain something that has gotten me to play it in 2007 and 2017 with YEARS of gaps in between. The latest expansion was released a few months ago. It isn't dead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 pm 

IMU wrote:
LOTRO has a great open world, solid story, good looking vistas, and solid quest progression if you play solo or in a small group. It also has the IP. It has good dungeon design and mechanics, but that is hampered by the difficulty in putting groups together. The instance finder works poorly, and shouting in world chat even 10 years ago was a poor solution. Classes are designed well an almost all of them have the fluidity to take on different roles based on spec. Developer has updated architecture so graphics are way better than a 10 year old game would imply.

FFXIV has a tighter combat system and excellent instance design. It also has the best group finder I've ever heard of and getting into groups and dungeons is a breeze. Gear and skill progression makes a lot of sense, and the graphics are nice. A huge con is that it is definitely an asian MMO...there is no grinding, but there is a ton of anime / chibi influences and I'm not into that type of stuff at all. Some of the dialogue and cutscenes are extremely cringe worthy. Classes have very defined roles and parties are only 4 or 8 members large, and are very structured (an 8 man dungeon is 4x DPS, 2x Tank, 2x Healer). Support classes don't exist, and crowd control isn't a mechanic in the game. Very streamlined.

FFXIV is probably the better MMO overall in 2017, but LOTRO has a certain something that has gotten me to play it in 2007 and 2017 with YEARS of gaps in between. The latest expansion was released a few months ago. It isn't dead.

Thanks for the detailed response. From what you described, LOTRO is more my speed. I might try it while waiting for the newer MMO's to come out this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 pm 

I'm on Brandywine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Replaying GOTY edition on new game + in 4k. Feels good man.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:45 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Just got W3 on Switch for my son. I'm starting to play it a bit myself after he goes to sleep. Not usually a fan of role playing games, but I liked the show, so we'll see how it goes.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
FukNuggitt wrote:
Just got W3 on Switch for my son. I'm starting to play it a bit myself after he goes to sleep. Not usually a fan of role playing games, but I liked the show, so we'll see how it goes.

nice. After you play the game you'll realize that the tv show still has a very long way to go before they catch up to the timeline from the video game.

I would think watching the show will help with the game as you'll already have a connection to some of the characters like Geralt, Cirri, Yenifer, Dandelion (Jasiker) and Triss.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:46 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:

Hope you enjoy it. You should.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:52 pm 

shakes wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

nice. After you play the game you'll realize that the tv show still has a very long way to go before they catch up to the timeline from the video game.

I would think watching the show will help with the game as you'll already have a connection to some of the characters like Geralt, Cirri, Yenifer, Dandelion (Jasiker) and Triss.

I'm glad they didn't disappoint with Yennifer. She is sexy in both the game and the show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:07 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
shakes wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

I'm glad they didn't disappoint with Yennifer. She is sexy in both the game and the show.

You been having fun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:14 pm 

IMU wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
shakes wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

You been having fun?

I have not had a chance to get back to it since about a day or two after that post. I will try to check it out further when I get some free time.