It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I flat out don't watch tv. We roll with a ten year old Dish Network box and a non-HD TV. Internet is via AT&T and not exactly burning up the wires.

I need SPORTS so my kid doesn't grow up to be a pansy. What do we need to do? We need MLB, NBA, EURO SOCCER, RACE CARS, maybe even some BIG 10 HOOPS, I'd even watch some HOCKEY if need be. No NFL though. Don't need that.

I'm starting from scratch here. Need a whole new set up. Where do I start? THE LITTLE GUYS??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hatchetman wrote:
I flat out don't watch tv. We roll with a ten year old Dish Network box and a non-HD TV. Internet is via AT&T and not exactly burning up the wires.

I need SPORTS so my kid doesn't grow up to be a pansy. What do we need to do? We need MLB, NBA, EURO SOCCER, RACE CARS, maybe even some BIG 10 HOOPS, I'd even watch some HOCKEY if need be. No NFL though. Don't need that.

I'm starting from scratch here. Need a whole new set up. Where do I start? THE LITTLE GUYS??

WCUB...Direct TV for The Ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Take him to some games. High school hoops- 5 bucks for you, 2 bucks for him. Sectionals this week. And the White Sox probably have family of four packages where you actually get money back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Take him to some games. High school hoops- 5 bucks for you, 2 bucks for him. Sectionals this week. And the White Sox probably have family of four packages where you actually get money back.

No time for that. He spends too much time at ballet studio and piano practice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 am 

So I'm going to need Comcast Internet plus Blast maybe. Is 75mbps fast enough for all of Walt's gifs?
Going to need new TV. Some are $400 and some are $2400...WTF?
Apple TV?
TiVo?

I'm like a babe lost out in the woods here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I do not know what these other dopes have but I have Comcast Xfinity. 100Mbps or whatever that tier is. It is fine for everything. I have a new $600 PC and a 9 year old 60 inch HDTV. You need nothing more than choose what channels you can live with or without and how it fits in a package. If you insist on a land line they will also give you that.

As for tv's I have my eyes out lately. My friend bout the newer ultra HD and it sure is perty but as with anything the newest costs more. I saw a 50 inch HDTV at Sam's yesterday for $498. That would fit most I expect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:12 am 

In my neighborhood with crumbling infrastructure, Xfinity is only 75MBps. You can get 100, but that is $99 for the internet ALONE. They don't have a package listed for 100mps PLUS your normal cable programming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Hatchetman wrote:
In my neighborhood with crumbling infrastructure, Xfinity is only 75MBps. You can get 100, but that is $99 for the internet ALONE. They don't have a package listed for 100mps PLUS your normal cable programming.

Sports are the only reason to even have cable tv anymore... if you've gotten by without it I would just ditch DISH pickup sling TV or something cheap ($20 a month w/ESPN). If it weren't for sports I would have gotten rid of DIRECTV a long time ago.

Anything over 50 mbps is overkill for MOST people. Just make sure you have at least an N router preferably with a 5ghz band and 50 mbps will be plenty fast for 95% of people. It's my understanding AT&T uverse cant deliver that type of speed though

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:19 am 

billypootons wrote:
[
Sports are the only reason to even have cable tv anymore... .

Exactly. But AFAIK need Comcast, Dish or Direct tv subscription to get Cubs, Sox, Bulls, Big10, Hawk, etc.

I would not pay 1 cent for anything other than sports, but they have you over a barrel.