Roger Penske ain’t gonna fuck you dude.

What? :lol:

Big motorsports fan are you there, KD?

-Hank Kingsley

Post subject: Re: Indy 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
If you want to see something crazy check out the pace car crash in 1971. The driver was a local car dealer and they told him to maintain speed until the line at start of pit road. He thought they meant the start/finish line so he was going down pit road 125 mph thinking he had to stay ahead of the field until the start/finish line. He gets on the brakes at the line and spins the car and takes out a grandstand. Astronaut John Glenn was riding shotgun waving to the crowd. Probably the closest he came to dying...

I saw the pace car at the museum and its been completely restored.

https://youtu.be/0qf8P-Io2kM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:46 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
They're aiming to run it in August according to the Indiana Governor.

https://www.wane.com/big-race-indy-shar ... rnor-says/

Memorial Day weekend won't be the same without it.

Remarkably stupid. Gate receipts are massive but will still be way down even then. And the "sport" will cede the year to NASCAR. As usual.

:lol: Not a sport? That's crazy talk.

I get that it's not your thing, but FI/Indy requires serious fitness and insane concentration, not to mention putting your life on the line every time you compete.

Left turns are tough.

Dude, you're nothing more than an ankle biter around here these days. Sad.

FI only races on road courses and IndyCar mixes them in, so you also don't know what you're talking about.

Stick and ball only sports fans moronically interjecting themselves into motorsports discussions are the worst.

I know Indy Car also does road courses. Left AND right turns are tough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
Left AND right turns are tough.

women drivers wrote:
You aint kiddin'!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
MongoMuller wrote:

That was crazy.

Mark Donahue!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:
Mark Donahue!

Yeah and Jackie Stewart commentary trying to make sense of what just happened.

I've seen that pace car in the museum. Its been restored and not a scratch on it. I think a local guy in Indy owns it.

I wish they would let the teams run as much boost as they want in the race to mix things up. Honda and Chevrolet don't want their engines blowing up in front of millions of people but too bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Everyone ready for the Indy 500 this weekend?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

It would be nice if they could attract a couple more engine manufacturers. Porsche was close to signing on then backed out at the last minute. I'm not even sure Chevrolet is aware they have an Indycar program as much as they let Honda walk all over them.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

Oddly enough I watched quite a bit of qualifying last weekend since the Sox were crapping up their beds.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Dignified Rube wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I totally forgot that be race still existed.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
After watching my first race earlier this year (Daytona 500)....I'd be inclined to watch it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be outside and busy this weekend. This is not the season for TV watching :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:07 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
After watching my first race earlier this year (Daytona 500)....I'd be inclined to watch it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be outside and busy this weekend. This is not the season for TV watching :lol:

It just dawned on me that I have no idea who the drivers even are anymore. Except for the Rahal and Andretti kids.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
MongoMuller wrote:
It would be nice if they could attract a couple more engine manufacturers. Porsche was close to signing on then backed out at the last minute. I'm not even sure Chevrolet is aware they have an Indycar program as much as they let Honda walk all over them.

There was a time, back in the late 80's/early 90's, long before Honda was involved that Chevrolet/Illmor Indy V8's dominated.

However, Chevrolet pulled their involvement and focused on their dominance in NASCAR as it's closer (I know, I know) to the race on Sunday, sell on Monday mindset. While a Monte Carlo or Lumina we sold in the stealership doesn't have any underpinnings of the Monte/Carlo's/Lumina's of that same time frame out on the track, people could still buy something that looked somewhat similar on the track and not to mention the engine that powered them, was pretty much the same "architecture" you would find in Vette's/Camaro's and GM trucks of the day. So the relationship was strong.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

CDOM wrote:
There was a time, back in the late 80's/early 90's, long before Honda was involved that Chevrolet/Illmor Indy V8's dominated.

Sadly the 500 will never be the spectacle it was in the 90s. We used to watch the races from the Miller suite which was over the pits about halfway up compared to the main stands. If you didn't pick the car up just as it was exiting turn 4 you couldn't turn your head fast enough to follow it as it went by. It was unreal. They were doing 255mph on the straights then compared to about 236 or so today (in qual trim). When the engines gave up the ghost it was like a car bomb going off. The only time I go now is when I have friends from Europe come over. They think its great but I tell them you should of seen it in the 90s.

The main issue now is the reliability of the engines is too good (its ridiculous they won't push them harder) and the clumps due to the spec chassis. Its so hard to pass now the packs don't break up until well into the fuel run when the tires finally start to give up. Its a shame Penske isn't 10 years younger because I think he knows what's wrong and will take steps to make it more of the spectacle we saw in the 90s. I just don't know if he has enough time left.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am sad it isn’t what it once was. Might as well be F1 to me now.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:20 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I am sad it isn’t what it once was. Might as well be F1 to me now.

Agreed. It's all about the tires for both now. And stupid gimmicks

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:38 am 

MongoMuller wrote:
CDOM wrote:

Sadly the 500 will never be the spectacle it was in the 90s. We used to watch the races from the Miller suite which was over the pits about halfway up compared to the main stands. If you didn't pick the car up just as it was exiting turn 4 you couldn't turn your head fast enough to follow it as it went by. It was unreal. They were doing 255mph on the straights then compared to about 236 or so today (in qual trim). When the engines gave up the ghost it was like a car bomb going off. The only time I go now is when I have friends from Europe come over. They think its great but I tell them you should of seen it in the 90s.

The main issue now is the reliability of the engines is too good (its ridiculous they won't push them harder) and the clumps due to the spec chassis. Its so hard to pass now the packs don't break up until well into the fuel run when the tires finally start to give up. Its a shame Penske isn't 10 years younger because I think he knows what's wrong and will take steps to make it more of the spectacle we saw in the 90s. I just don't know if he has enough time left.

Agree on the 90's thing for Indy, then pretty much my same feeling on NASCAR in the 00's.

Isn't part of slowing them down (maybe not intentionally) is to promote closer/tighter action. I know that can be dangerous being side by side on open wheels, but then again, does that put butts in the seats?

I actually got heavily in to NHRA in the past few years, even with 1,000 ft racing. But I hate when the engines blow, because that now means a 2 hour delay for them to clean up, which then can push the qualifying rounds in to the evening (if you go on a Friday or Saturday).

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Idk about changes now but one big problem was the IRL and making all the engines and cars the same. The whole Lola/Cosworth different motors and teams was the entire draw. I loved Mears and Andretti’s and routes against others.

I go further back to Rutherford and Foyt. Last I saw the only thing that mattered was pit stops/crews not racing. Single file boredom.

Actually I think in recent years the same thing is causing some NASCAR decline. You get some places where they can still race but it’s mostly pit strategy, single file and draft luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:57 am 

Yup, exactly why I lost interest in it in the 00's.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:48 am 
1000 CLUB

CDOM wrote:
Agree on the 90's thing for Indy, then pretty much my same feeling on NASCAR in the 00's.

Isn't part of slowing them down (maybe not intentionally) is to promote closer/tighter action. I know that can be dangerous being side by side on open wheels, but then again, does that put butts in the seats?

Actually the overall lap times aren't that far off. The cars today are a lot slower on the straights but they can carry a lot more speed thru the corners due to the increased downforce. Its kind of impressive since the cars today are making around 400 less horsepower but the visual isn't as impressive. The pack racing is more a product of going to a single chassis and cheaper engines to reduce costs. Now everyone is basically the same and the car has so much downforce you can pretty much mat the thing all the way around the track. Packs make it very difficult to overtake. When you come up on a single car you just close as much as you can on exit then get in the slipstream on the straight and pull out and pass. When you come up on 2 or more cars the car in front of you is getting the slipstream of the car ahead of him so you don't have the advantage of more speed on the straight to pass. I like the see the field spread out more so the better drivers can use their ability to work thru the traffic. If the cars had more power then the drivers would have to lift and be more careful on exit to preserve the tires so you'd see the field break up earlier.

The attendance in the 90s was 400,000+ and today is probably around 250,000. They used to get 100,000+ just in the infield.

Yeah Nascar was great in the 90s to about 2005.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Idk about changes now but one big problem was the IRL and making all the engines and cars the same. The whole Lola/Cosworth different motors and teams was the entire draw. I loved Mears and Andretti’s and routes against others.

I go further back to Rutherford and Foyt. Last I saw the only thing that mattered was pit stops/crews not racing. Single file boredom.

Actually I think in recent years the same thing is causing some NASCAR decline. You get some places where they can still race but it’s mostly pit strategy, single file and draft luck.

Yep when it split and then went to a spec series that really hurt. You had different engines and different chassis so you had a lot of variation which made the race way more interesting. I can remember very well in 1994 when Penske turned up with the Mercedes.

I think Nascar's big mistake was not consolidating their existing fan base after things started showing signs of getting soft around 2006. They tried to stay in expansion mode and came up with The Chase and Stage Racing which really pissed off a lot of their hardcore fans. I got out when they started throwing the hot dog wrapper yellows with about 10 laps to go every race. What a joke.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:57 pm 

This is a horrible broadcast

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
This is sort of boring—single file racing as noted above. It seems like it’s all about luck in terms of pitting on yellow versus green.

Not sure why these guys can’t pull into the pits.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Let’s go Helio!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I'm watching just because its on but I have no idea who almost every driver is and its incredibly boring. I thought Jimmie Johnson was racing. Either he is terrible and completely off the leaderboard or he isnt there.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I'm watching just because its on but I have no idea who almost every driver is and its incredibly boring. I thought Jimmie Johnson was racing. Either he is terrible and completely off the leaderboard or he isnt there.

This is a great race.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I need to know who the hell the drivers are for it to be exciting for me....or it has to be a short track where I can see everything unfold each lap. I've been to indy before for time trials and its really weird only seeing a fraction of the track.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:38 pm 

DAC wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

This is a great race.

It was a good race despite the broadcast. I don't think any of the broadcasters brought any feel for open wheel racing. And that includes Danica.