It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indy 500
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
What in the world are you all doing today, when you should have been watching the Indy 500? It's not a tradition in your house? Gomer Pyle singing Back at Home in Indiana? Gentlemen start your engines?

It was epic. Multi-car crash at around lap 175, prompting a red flag. They do a re-start, and there were 5 lead changes in the last 15 laps. And the Frenchman wins the first time since the 1930s!

Best Indy race I ever saw probably.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Mon May 27, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Indy 500
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So epic that you don't even know Jim Nabors has been dead for a year and a half, and hasn't sang at the Indy 500 in over four years.

Tie 100lb weights to your legs and take a swim in Lake Michigan. Tonight, preferably.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
That was indeed a great finish.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
That was indeed a great finish.

It was far more interesting than Monaco was, but I must admit to falling asleep during the red flag. It's been a long day.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Use to be a big deal when I was young.

Now I don't even know if it's on.

Why has this event fallen to forgetfulness?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
So epic that you don't even know Jim Nabors has been dead for a year and a half, and hasn't sang at the Indy 500 in over four years.

Tie 100lb weights to your legs and take a swim in Lake Michigan. Tonight, preferably.

That is pretty good there. :lol: Blackhawk Jim C. sang it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:22 pm 

Even Trump weighed in.

"Congratulations to the Great (and my friend) Roger Penske on winning his 18th (UNBELIEVABLE!) Indianapolis 500. I am in Japan, very early in the morning, but I got to watch Simon drive one of the greatest races in the history of the sport. I will see them both, & TEAM, at the WH!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
It was a good race......aside from having to hear from Danica be part of the coverage.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:02 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I completely forgot about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
It's a catch-22 around here, so much to do to catch up outside if the weather is good, if it is raining here and I can be inside, then it is likely raining there, too. I could not find any radio coverage. I watched a few early laps but came in too late for the finish. I did watch the last 35 laps of F1 in Monaco, those cars amaze me with 40-250mph in the matter of a hundred yards, but the racing is less engaging, almost dependent on a mistake to even pass. Nice to be able to watch the last half of the Coke 600, some serious scrambling the last 6 laps there.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I was just talking about this. My dad never had a driver's license. He certainly wasn't some car guy. And he wasn't a fan of auto racing. But we watched the Indianapolis 500 every year.

Al Unser, A.J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti were sports stars on equal footing with Willie Mays, Roger Staubach, and Wilt Chamberlain. I couldn't name one driver in yesterday's race.

I think they really damaged the brand back when they had that beef between Indy Car Racing and CART or whatever the competing organizations were. I think a couple years CART actually ran a race opposite the 500 with all the top drivers. I don't remember all the details. I'm sure a real fan could explain what happened better. But I don't think the race has ever recovered.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Unser, A.J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti were sports stars on equal footing with Willie Mays, Roger Staubach, and Wilt Chamberlain.

No mention of Zoilo Versalles ?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I was just talking about this. My dad never had a driver's license. He certainly wasn't some car guy. And he wasn't a fan of auto racing. But we watched the Indianapolis 500 every year.

Al Unser, A.J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti were sports stars on equal footing with Willie Mays, Roger Staubach, and Wilt Chamberlain. I couldn't name one driver in yesterday's race.

I think they really damaged the brand back when they had that beef between Indy Car Racing and CART or whatever the competing organizations were. I think a couple years CART actually ran a race opposite the 500 with all the top drivers. I don't remember all the details. I'm sure a real fan could explain what happened better. But I don't think the race has ever recovered.

The family that owned the Speedway got into a power grab and killed the golden goose iirc.

Typical screwup by another second and third generation of sports franchise owners.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I lived in Indy for a few years and followed the CART series pretty heavily from 1993 until whenever it died. JORR is right about the prestige of Indy. It was a huge deal - the only race they ran at the Speedway. My dad was a car guy and I was a kid that played stick-and-ball sports. We never really got along all that well, but we bonded over the 500.

I attended many races - Michigan, Detroit, Toronto, Milwaukee, Chicago (Stickney, hello!), Road America, Mid-Ohio, the race at the Cleveland airport, Indy - I was drawn by the different formats. Pit/paddock access was a great experience too – met Walter Payton, Paul Newman, Roger Penske, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, etc.

My CART bias will probably show, but basically Tony George – idiot grandson of the IMS founder – decided there were too many foreigners/ride buyers and more spots needed to be reserved for deserving drivers at Indy – the Jeff Gordon/Tony Stewart type that grew up racing midgets on dirt. IMS started the oval-only IRL and both series continued to shoot themselves in the foot, all the while NASCAR grew and grew. Goddamn shame.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:09 am 

They're aiming to run it in August according to the Indiana Governor.

https://www.wane.com/big-race-indy-shar ... rnor-says/

Memorial Day weekend won't be the same without it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I think we went every year from around 80-92. We'd leave around midnight and stop at a Murph's 76 outside of Indy for breakfast. We'd get in the entrance line around 4:30AM and wait for the gates to open while everybody in the line started drinking bloody marys. We'd eventually get into the infield where everybody drank more and started eating. When it rained there would be mud wrestling and other things a yoot would never see at home. We'd eventually drag the cooler to the seats and my parents would drink more and I'd eat more. We'd leave at about the 1/2 way mark, in retrospect I have no idea if my dad or unlcle were really sober enough to drive, but we all got home safely every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
KDdidit wrote:
...We'd leave at about the 1/2 way mark, in retrospect I have no idea if my dad or unlcle were really sober enough to drive, but we all got home safely every time.

Al Unser Jr. school or driving graduates for sure. I was lucky enough to attend too.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:26 pm 

I have some family that used to go every year. Was always wanting to go with them but it never seemed to work out. Definitely on the bucket list of things I hope to do.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:14 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

Remarkably stupid. Gate receipts are massive but will still be way down even then. And the "sport" will cede the year to NASCAR. As usual.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:09 pm 

Pretty good race so far. Dixon has been leading for a while and then just lost it to Sato.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:12 pm 

Davidson's wheel catching on fire was bizarre. And almost horrific.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:27 pm 

Looks like its between Sato and Dixon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:27 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Remarkably stupid. Gate receipts are massive but will still be way down even then. And the "sport" will cede the year to NASCAR. As usual.

:lol: Not a sport? That's crazy talk.

I get that it's not your thing, but FI/Indy requires serious fitness and insane concentration, not to mention putting your life on the line every time you compete.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:34 pm 

Red flag out after a driver hit the pit wall.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm 

That was some impact.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
That was some impact.

yeah that was crazy. That dude is lucky to be alive.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
That was some impact.

yeah that was crazy. That dude is lucky to be alive.

Nah, the energy-disipating technology is off the charts these days. I was expecting him to be fine. Maybe not walk away from it like he did. :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
I, too, miss the allure of The Great American Race.

I recall going on family road trips and always listening to the race while in the car on the way back from wherever we went off to.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:35 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I get that it's not your thing, but FI/Indy requires serious fitness and insane concentration, not to mention putting your life on the line every time you compete.

Left turns are tough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Left turns are tough.

Dude, you're nothing more than an ankle biter around here these days. Sad.

FI only races on road courses and IndyCar mixes them in, so you also don't know what you're talking about.

Stick and ball only sports fans moronically interjecting themselves into motorsports discussions are the worst.

-Hank Kingsley