It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NASCAR 2022
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:13 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
should have made the turns bank at high side. give the outside lane an advantage so they can run two wide. the flat narrow track looks like hotweels racing

Yeah, but I doubt they could have built that up that quickly.

It wasn't exciting racing. The novelty of it was kind of cool but only for a while.

At least when they did it in Soldier Field in the fifties it was a full third mile track and only done once.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Sunday's Clash had its best ratings since 2016 with 4+ million viewers. Granted, some of those years were on FS1 but it was a success overall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:30 am 

Draft King Picks:
Logano, Blaney, Byron, Hamlin, TDillon, Ragan (stars and scrubs)

Bets to go top 3: Blaney, Kesoloski, Byron, Justin Haley

Winner: Hard to go against Hamlin or Logano. Give me Logano.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Let's Go Racin', boys!!!!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 pm 

This is the best start I've seen in years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:24 pm 

please tell me this takes out Kyle Busch?

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:10 am 

How many people did Kesolowski take out? That first wreck was completely uncalled for.

I was pulling for Blaney, Bubba, and Stenhouse there at the end. We all knew Cindric had a lot of potential especially with taking the #2 car but the Daytona 500 in his first try? Damn! That is impressive. He's been the best driver in Xfinity the last couple seasons. But I think William Byron is going to take the next step and become a consistent challenger and win 5 or so races this season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
The company I work for was one of the bigger sponsors for the winner so always kind of cool to see that particular car in victory lane. I watched the last 20 laps or so and it gets a bit ridiculous at that point when everyone is jockeying for position and taking crazy chances. I felt bad for the guy that was leading prior to the 2nd to last restart that got taken out. The fact that they interviewed him in his car before they started back up seemed really crazy to me, but I haven't watched a race in years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:42 am 

T-Bone wrote:
The company I work for was one of the bigger sponsors for the winner so always kind of cool to see that particular car in victory lane. I watched the last 20 laps or so and it gets a bit ridiculous at that point when everyone is jockeying for position and taking crazy chances. I felt bad for the guy that was leading prior to the 2nd to last restart that got taken out. The fact that they interviewed him in his car before they started back up seemed really crazy to me, but I haven't watched a race in years.

Are you talking about Stenhouse? Brad Daugherty is one of his car owners. I would have LOVED to have seen Daugherty in victory lane at the 500. Daugherty has been involved in Nascar for a long time and his passion for the sport is obvious whenever he is in the booth. Daugherty's car winning over Jordan's would have been poetic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
DAC wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Are you talking about Stenhouse? Brad Daugherty is one of his car owners. I would have LOVED to have seen Daugherty in victory lane at the 500. Daugherty has been involved in Nascar for a long time and his passion for the sport is obvious whenever he is in the booth. Daugherty's car winning over Jordan's would have been poetic.

Yes Stenhouse is the guy. I am not much of a race guy but when I do tune in it is definitely for the Daytona and usually any other restrictor plate race is on my radar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:19 pm 

Keselowski should be punched square in the nose from MANY drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:25 pm 

I enjoyed what I was able to watch of the race. I know very little about NASCAR, but since last year I at least find the Daytona 500 entertaining. I have a lot to learn about how all of this works.

I will say the Kesolowski was a little too crazy that early. That crash was a bit much that early in the race. Looks like he pissed off a lot of fans and other drivers.

Reading lots of criticisms on the cars. Nice to see the NFL and MLB aren't the only sports that hate their fans. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:26 pm 

Nascar starts the season with 4 entertaining races in a row. The Next Gen car has far exceeded expectations and the racing has been very good at the typically boring tracks of California and Vegas in back-to-back weeks.

Oh yeah- I bet Chastian to place at 12-1 odds. Picked up the 3rd spot on the last lap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:57 pm 

watching bristol dirt race right now. this is great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:59 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

one cool thing about this sport is most of the drivers hate eachother lmfao. its not an act either, you dont see them grabbing a beer after the game like NBA players

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:10 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

one cool thing about this sport is most of the drivers hate eachother lmfao. its not an act either, you dont see them grabbing a beer after the game like NBA players

Most drivers don't hate each other. You have some feuds but most of them die down after a while. Even when Earnhardt and Gordon were at the height of their rivalry and everyone thought they hated each, they were business partners off the track. But I do think there might be some hate between Ty Gibbs and Sam Mayer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
BigW72 wrote:
I enjoyed what I was able to watch of the race. I know very little about NASCAR, but since last year I at least find the Daytona 500 entertaining. I have a lot to learn about how all of this works.

when i was watching nascar years ago i found the best way to get invested was to find a guy to pull for, so in my case i went for tony stewart in the orange #20 and followed him over to his own race team and he eventually had what i remember as the most epic chase where he was neck and neck with carl edwards til the end, but he prevailed. then he ran over somebody on a dirt track and kind of went into the downward spiral in his career. i wouldn't fuck with a guy nicknamed "smoke" on a dirt track, but what do i know?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:31 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

when i was watching nascar years ago i found the best way to get invested was to find a guy to pull for, so in my case i went for tony stewart in the orange #20 and followed him over to his own race team and he eventually had what i remember as the most epic chase where he was neck and neck with carl edwards til the end, but he prevailed. then he ran over somebody on a dirt track and kind of went into the downward spiral in his career. i wouldn't fuck with a guy nicknamed "smoke" on a dirt track, but what do i know?

Stewart will run your ass over if you let him!

How you described getting into Nascar was how it happened to me 25 years ago. Early February 1997- There was nothing else on besides the Daytona 500 so I started watching it. I don't think I had ever watched a race before. Jeff Gordon was a hotshot, young driver winning a bunch of races and was constantly talked about. Gordon won that 500 which definitely caught my interest. That evening I went to tend bar and these 50ish year-old, blue collar macho guys were badmouthing him and calling him all sorts of names. Naturally, they were Earnhardt fans. I knew I was not going to root for Earnhardt and be part of that fan base. Gordon was a young, handsome guy with a pretty wife who was just kicking the other drivers' asses. He was a few years older than me and I saw a lot of myself in him. He won the following week after the 500 and then a few weeks later Gordon won at Bristol in the famous Bump-n-Run on Rusty Wallace. And as I learned more and more about Gordon and how he was an interloper from California and how he was hated by the southern fanbase, I realized that is EXACTLY who I wanted to root for. And the thing is, Gordon is a helluva nice guy and has been a great ambassador for the sport. My Dad and I became huge Gordan fans and watched a lot of races together over the years.

I worried when Gordon retired if I would still like Nascar. DraftKings contests make the races very entertaining even if the race is not that exciting. And now putting some money on a couple drivers has increased my interest even more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:05 pm 

Great to hear DW in the booth. I really like how Fox has had a guest in the booth with Joy and Boywer this year. Surprisingly, Danica was a disappointment but Gordon, Stewart, Kenseth, and Knaus have all been very good. Overall, drivers make great analysts and most have been very interesting to listen to over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:45 pm 

About to restart. Stadium almost empty. Damn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:13 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
About to restart. Stadium almost empty. Damn

I heard that ticket sales were up from years past. They really need to ditch the dirt at Bristol and take the race out of the spring where it rains just about every year. Give Bristol night races in early June and mid September. Bristol is clearly one of the best tracks on the circuit and should be showcased.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:26 pm 

guy i work with says it was never the same since earnhardt died. bristol was the party of the year, but since his death it turned into a money grabbing corporate venture.

i like the dirt race though. bristol should have that and a paved race each year. they should just run the dirt rain or shine too. who cares. yea the radiators get plugged. thats part of the race. deal with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The sport is and has been completely void of the personalities that made it great years ago. They only have a small group of whiney bitches like Harvick, Logano and Rowdy and after that its just 30 something bland and uninteresting drivers for the most part. The race was pretty good yesterday. The finish sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:44 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
The sport is and has been completely void of the personalities that made it great years ago. They only have a small group of whiney bitches like Harvick, Logano and Rowdy and after that its just 30 something bland and uninteresting drivers for the most part. The race was pretty good yesterday. The finish sucked.

The problem was that Jr just wasn't good enough to win championships. If he had won a couple titles and more races, he would have grown the sport immensely. And while all reports are that Johnson is a great guy, he was a boring personality and didn't capture the interest of the fans. When most fans don't have much of an opinion of a 7-time champion, that is a problem. And the guys you mentioned are not fan favorites either. Those few years when Truex, Logano, Hamlin, and Busch were winning 75% of the races, fans were not inspired. Elliott has a chance but he's not even the best driver on his own team and Byron might turn out to have a better career. Ty Gibbs is creating a buzz and a lot of dislike. He seems talented enough and hated enough to become the heel the sport needs. A Gibbs vs Elliott rivalry in a few years could be spicy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:49 pm 

Saw where Nascar ratings are up 17% from last year and the Bristol race was significantly higher although no one was in the stands.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:38 pm 

The Clint Bowyer story is crazy and sad. He has to live with that, I can't imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:43 am 

a sober driver killed a meth addict. not sure hes going to lose a ton of sleep over it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:46 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
a sober driver killed a meth addict. not sure hes going to lose a ton of sleep over it

I am sure you are wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:31 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Oddly while the sport got a huge bump in the nineties and aughts, there was a substantial portion of older fans turned off by non southern drivers like Jeff Gordon and it's only seemed to having gotten worse since then. Imo.

And they still pine for the days of Yarborough and Pearson.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm 

Feel really bad for Boywer. He's a good guy and no one should be saddled with that kind of guilt. (Assuming he is 100% innocent.)

On a completely different topic, I read today that there is talk of a Nascar Chicago street course race possibly for 2023. Personally, I say just go back to Chicagoland since there are now too many road courses. Naturally, I would go to any race they put on in Chicago. Never missed a race at Chicagoland.