PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
From Yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nas ... ascar.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 am 

I think they should add a foot race for one of the cup races. They're athletes. Would definitely be entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I like it but you can not have Homestead as the winner take all race. You can't have Daytona either because of it being a plate race crap shoot. I think they should build a short track in or near Daytona and have it still end at Daytona but at the new short track.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:59 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I like it but you can not have Homestead as the winner take all race. You can't have Daytona either because of it being a plate race crap shoot. I think they should build a short track in or near Daytona and have it still end at Daytona but at the new short track.

I don't think it's fair to have any single track take it all. I don't like the sound of this plan at all. First off the "eliminations" are silly because teams are effectively eliminated from a mathematic standpoint anyway as it progresses so it really serves no purpose.

And a 1-race "winner take all" final cheapens the rest of the season. I'll watch it. It would be more exciting but it isn't really fair. It may be effective but I don't really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I thought they clear the points at every elimination. That would hopefully reward winning and not totally screw you if you have a DNF. I'm open to something different because I would rather just have the old points system all year than the chase.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Never was a fan of the broad concept of a "chase" or tournament, or whatever. I watch races because they are inherently exciting. I don't give a rat's ass who wins the season championship, however that is defined.

Look, the idea is to win races. Everything else should not matter. I don't care if you finished 3rd or 40th, led a lap, got the pole, who cares? Artificial bullshit. You win the most races, you win the championship. A tie, and you have a 10-lap tie-breaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:48 pm 

so when they say "whittle down" cars they mean only the ones in the chase actually race? none of this shit where theres 40 cars in the way, its just a 16 car playoffs? that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Once the field is set, The Observer said NASCAR is considering eliminations during the 10-race Chase.

The field would be cut after the third, sixth and ninth races. The proposed eliminations would drop the lowest four drivers from title contention after the third, sixth and ninth races, leaving four drivers eligible for a ''winner-take-all'' race in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The four remaining drivers would go into Homestead with their points reset and tied in the standings...

I think this would be interesting, but how long do they race for the finale? Plus what happens if one guy wrecks two others? Dude just drives in a circle at 100mph for a couple of hours? I don't think you reduce the field to the point where the race could be like a slow qualifying lap. You keep the field, but eliminate the bottom four from championship contention, the next bottom four, etc...as outlined above...all 16 still race though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Once the field is set, The Observer said NASCAR is considering eliminations during the 10-race Chase.

The field would be cut after the third, sixth and ninth races. The proposed eliminations would drop the lowest four drivers from title contention after the third, sixth and ninth races, leaving four drivers eligible for a ''winner-take-all'' race in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The four remaining drivers would go into Homestead with their points reset and tied in the standings...

I think this would be interesting, but how long do they race for the finale? Plus what happens if one guy wrecks two others? Dude just drives in a circle at 100mph for a couple of hours? I don't think you reduce the field to the point where the race could be like a slow qualifying lap. You keep the field, but eliminate the bottom four from championship contention, the next bottom four, etc...as outlined above...all 16 still race though.

read it again. it never says there won't be 40 cars on the track. it just says 4 will drop out of contention. by the end, only 4 cars will matter but theres still 40 other cars to out there to fuck everything up.

its really a problem with the sport itself. thats why i keep stressing the need for teams, where 5 drivers work together to get a team championship. by the end, even if you have just 3 teams competing in the last race that still could be 15 cars.

then also, that way, when a driver changes sponsors you can still root for the team. fans would band to their teams a lot more then they do to individual drivers now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:57 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

Good Point Doug, about 3 of the 4 wrecking, then you know the winner of about 10 laps into it, I know they want the Super Bowl or Game 7 feel, but is this the way do it when there so many variables. Also what if we get another thing like the last year with the last race before the Chase, and team orders come into play.

My thought if they want the focus on winning, make a win worth 60 points and every other spot as it is now, at least a win is worth an extra 15 points.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 pm 

From reading the comments on ESPN about the new Chase, couple things brought up that was interesting, a driver could win the first 35 races, finish last of 4 in the finale and not be the Champion.

Also, the guy that wins the Daytona 500 can use the rest of the races as a practice session, because they said you win one race, pretty much in the chase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 pm 

reents wrote:
From reading the comments on ESPN about the new Chase, couple things brought up that was interesting, a driver could win the first 35 races, finish last of 4 in the finale and not be the Champion.

Also, the guy that wins the Daytona 500 can use the rest of the races as a practice session, because they said you win one race, pretty much in the chase.

A team could go undefeated in the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL, and lose in the playoffs, and not be the champion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Douchebag wrote:
reents wrote:

A team could go undefeated in the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL, and lose in the playoffs, and not be the champion.

Exactly. NASCAR is going for a "Super Bowl" type idea. Any given Sunday. Could turn into a crazy hype machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 pm 

so how much extra dough do you get for winning the championship?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:37 pm 

I'm beginning (!) to wonder about the average intelligence of NASCAR fans. Can't you just watch the fucking race? Fiery crashes and bumper cars at 200 MPH is not exciting enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Hatchetman wrote:
I'm beginning (!) to wonder about the average intelligence of NASCAR fans. Can't you just watch the fucking race? Fiery crashes and bumper cars at 200 MPH is not exciting enough?

Apparently not since attendance and viewership is way down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

I don't think it's fair to have any single track take it all. I don't like the sound of this plan at all. First off the "eliminations" are silly because teams are effectively eliminated from a mathematic standpoint anyway as it progresses so it really serves no purpose.

And a 1-race "winner take all" final cheapens the rest of the season. I'll watch it. It would be more exciting but it isn't really fair. It may be effective but I don't really like it.

My thoughts exactly. I don't like this at all. I think NASCAR is trying to prevent another driver dominating & winning 6 championships in a row. Homestead as the championship race sucks too. NASCAR should make a track like Richmond the last race.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm 

I dunno, how 'bout they start by not making every car identical? :?: