It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Between the half empty grandstands & falling TV ratings, NASCAR has some problems to address.

Per Jayskis:

Las Vegas overnight TV ratings: The 2014 Sprint Cup season has not gotten off to a great start on FOX. Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Kobalt Tools 400 from Las Vegas drew a 4.1 overnight rating on FOX, down 11% from last year (4.6), down 23% from 2012 (5.3), and tied with 2010 as the lowest overnight ever for the race since it moved to FOX in 2001. Overnights have declined for the first three Sprint Cup telecasts this season. The numbers have not just declined, but in fact have hit historic lows. Final ratings for the Daytona 500 were the lowest ever, and the final rating for Phoenix was the lowest for the second race of the season since FOX acquired rights. Keep in mind that Sunday's final rating could still end up surpassing the FOX low of 4.4 set in 2010. Despite the lower numbers, the race earned the highest overnight of the weekend for a sporting event on broadcast.(Sports Media Watch via Sports Business Daily)(3-11-2014)

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:31 am 

The popularity of Dale, Jr......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 am 

spanky wrote:

Dale isn't enough. Apparently Danny isn't either. NASCAR needs to do something different.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
spanky wrote:

Dale isn't enough. Apparently Danny isn't either. NASCAR needs to do something different.

No polish victory lap for the networks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mainstream NASCAR popularity will go down as a strange time in our lives, just like wearing American flag pins.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
spanky wrote:

How about all right turns?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
NASCAR was a fun quirky hillbilly activity. Now its all sanitized for corporate consumption. They got what they wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Rednecks are easily distracted with perty new shiny things. After hunting, football, and drinking they only have room for one other thing. UFC has cornered that market now. NASCAR is toast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I blame Michael Waltrip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 pm 

Nascar's Plan to Turbocharge the Stock Car Racing Series
Bloomberg, March 10, 2014

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... gn_id=yhoo

The year 2014 shapes up as a big period of transition for Nascar. On the track, the stock car racing series is using a new championship-points system as a way of drumming up the brand’s entertainment value for fans. This is also the final year of a long-term television contract that will see ESPN (DIS) and TNT (TWX) disappear in favor of NBC (CMCSA), starting in 2015. Nascar could use a boost: Races are nowhere close to the sellouts they used to be, TV ratings are lower, costs have risen for corporate sponsors, and drivers are signing new contracts for less money than before.

All of this weighs heavily on Lesa France Kennedy, who serves dual roles as vice-chair of Nascar and chief executive of the publicly traded International Speedway (ISCA). ISC owns tracks in Daytona, Talladega, Michigan, Chicagoland, Watkins Glen, and Phoenix, which are used in such major series as Nascar, IndyCar, and others. Right now, the biggest ISC undertaking is a $400 million investment in improving its flagship Daytona International Speedway. The goal is to bring the stadium into modern times: wider and more comfortable seats, better amenities, and better access for fans and corporate sponsors.

The number of seats will be reduced to 101,500, down from 147,000 currently. (As a point of reference, the 2008 Daytona 500 drew 190,000 attendees.) The idea is to get back to reality: With too much seating capacity, management realized that races were not going to attract sellout crowds any more. Too much capacity made tickets too easy to buy because fans could wait until the last minute to make a decision without fear of losing out. By reducing seat availability and introducing scarcity, administrators hope to make Nascar races a premium purchase, prompting fans to commit by buying early.
Story: Is Cars.com Really a Great Place to Find a Vehicle?

Kennedy spoke with Bloomberg Businessweek about the big transitions happening in her business. As far as this year goes, she is excited about Dale Earnhardt Jr. having won the Daytona 500. “His fan base is going wild,” she says, considering this a good sign for TV ratings this season. She thinks the new points system—featuring win-or-go-home eliminations similar to those in other sports—is going to bring “a lot of excitement” because fans will see “a lot of changes this year.” “Teams will have different strategies and approaches,” she says.

Despite her dual roles with ISC and the privately owned Nascar organization, Kennedy says her “primary focus is ISC, and that in itself is all-consuming.” ISC is the company that owns the tracks used in most races, while Nascar is the sanctioning body. They made a big play a few years ago to enter the New York market with a track in Staten Island, but it didn’t work out in the face of local and state political infighting throughout the approval process. Kennedy says it “wasn’t in the cards” for them at the time; “maybe down the line in the future” they might try again to return to New York, she says, “but not right now.”

Meantime, a lot of work must be done on the tracks they currently have. Some teams contend that when track surfaces get repaved, the smoother asphalt changes the racing characteristics: Newer surfaces are less abrasive, making it more difficult for tire rubber to stick to the track surface and thereby reducing grip and discouraging side-by-side racing. Kennedy admits that “everybody has a different point of view” but says that “sometimes, outside forces help you determine repaving—Daytona was very necessary.” She says there isn’t a magic formula for when a track gets repaved. “The tracks in the North have different weather, for example. So many factors go into making this decision.”
Story: It's Never Been Easier to Sell Six-Figure 'Supercars'

For next year, Kennedy says she’s “very excited” about what NBC will bring next year. She says they are “already in heavy planning stages for the first races” of 2015. NBC is bringing “different ideas about presenting the sport.” The new 10-year TV contract is worth $8.2 billion, of which everybody gets a piece. Some team executives have complained that the money is not split fairly, with teams not getting enough of the pie. Kennedy didn’t specifically address that question but said: “The way it’s divided up has been that way for a number of years, with good reason,” before going on to say that the new contract will benefit everybody.

As far as fans returning to the track, Kennedy says Daytona sellouts will “for sure” return in 2016, once the renovations—and seat reductions—are completed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
Mainstream NASCAR popularity will go down as a strange time in our lives, just like wearing American flag pins.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I know this is a Nascar thread, but how come open wheel racing never really takes off, I won't lie, I basically watch the Indianapolis 500, but did catch this past weekend's race at Indy and that was exciting. The polesitter for the race is lucky to be alive today.

The cars go faster, and for a couple years when they raced at Michigan, they had some of the most exciting races with all the drafting, have about 100 passes for the lead.

I know they do a lot of road courses and the same guy wins those races and not the best television deal with usually on NBC sports network, but I was just wondering any thoughts why it never takes off.

Is it the way it's ran?

The drives aren't the most well known?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
not enough crashes and too many furreners.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
They need to televise their draft.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am 

Nascar = Street Hockey

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hipster adoption of NASCAR fandom just around the corner.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hussra wrote:
Hipster adoption of NASCAR fandom just around the corner.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... -the-best/

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
The down ratings this season are easy. Almost every race so far has had at least a 1 hour weather delay with a bunch of races run on Monday. NASCAR is a working mans sport,hard to watch when race is run on a workday afternoon. This should be the push to move to more Sat and Friday night races.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Not. Enough. Tits.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I wish network tv would give touring, GT, or rally a chance over here. Tape delay some of the biggest european races on like a friday or saturday night...see how it does.

It is some good stuff.

Introduce the world to some of the most beautiful tracks in the world.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
NASCAR is hurting because they no longer have a villain like the Rainbow Warrior to place upon their homophobia.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
immessedup17 wrote:
I wish network tv would give touring, GT, or rally a chance over here. Tape delay some of the biggest european races on like a friday or saturday night...see how it does.

It is some good stuff.

I guess they could reintroduce Indy after they committed suicide with the IRL era.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
spanky wrote:

I would watch this :P

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
chaspoppcap wrote:
The down ratings this season are easy. Almost every race so far has had at least a 1 hour weather delay with a bunch of races run on Monday. NASCAR is a working mans sport,hard to watch when race is run on a workday afternoon. This should be the push to move to more Sat and Friday night races.

That's what happened. They abandoned their roots and sold their soul. I used to make fun of it but I went to a race in Joliet a couple of years ago and it was ridiculously entertaining. Going to the Formula One race in Austin this fall.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Maybe if they let the drivers use banana peels & turtle shells it would help.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
chaspoppcap wrote:

You're only a little off with your angle. Racing is a RICH man's sport. Tickets are not cheap, starting and maintaining a race team is VERY expensive.

I don't know if any more Alan Kulwicki's are walking through that door. Jimmie Johnson is a Six-Time Champion, but I know very little about him. I think race fans are losing the connection with the drivers and the fact the race cars look nothing like the ones in the showroom. I can pinpoint when Chevy got rid of the Monte Carlo to seeing ratings and interest drop in Nascar. Plus the abomination of the "Car Of Tomorrow" with that ridiculous wing on the back. Where is the puke emoticon????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:57 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:

It is some good stuff.

http://jalopnik.com/six-reasons-why-you ... 1588529905

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am 

http://buildraceparty.kinja.com/live-st ... 50/+travis

Quote:
Bored at work? At 2:35 EST, the Continental Challenge Race from the Brickyard Grand Prix is live on the web! Click on this link to watch. It won't start broadcasting till race time so here is a link to the main page. Matt bell with Stevenson Motorsports(pictured above) is on pole for Continental race which should be awesome.

But John Edwards in the Fall-Line M3 was only .017 seconds behind them during qualifying! I'm not sure that I can blink my eye that fast...so the start should be pretty cool. Any bets on which cars pulls the other at the start?

Then at 5:30 PM the Tudor United Sports Car race is on NBC Fox Sports 1 but is live at this link in certain countries(everywhere but the US). It looks like Ryan Dalziel is on pole in something called a ARX-03B. Instead, here is a picture of the Turner Z4 because it looks awesome.

You won't see the Continental live feed till the cameras go live so here the links to the two series pages. They should also provide live timing and scoring which is pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 pm 

I'm at these races. Sitting on infield grass area.
Look for my huge head and stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:46 pm 

These are some bad ass race cars.
Even McDreamy.