It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:19 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I don't like this one bit. I don't want to see a NASCAR race car racing at 200 MPH with only 1 lug nut on each wheel.

From Jayski's, 12-11-14
NASCAR will let teams regulate lug nuts during pit stops in 2015: One rule that stands out as a game changer will be the fact that NASCAR is letting teams regulate lug nuts during their stops. Basically, NASCAR won't penalize or monitor missed lug nuts or lug nuts that get knocked off during a stop. The new rule...or lack of rule, could be a huge gain for teams that want to gamble. Everyone knows that it doesn't take all 5 nuts tight to keep a tire on. The tricky part is how many nuts does it take? There are stories floating around pit road of teams that have come into victory lane with 1,2 and 3 nuts on a wheel, and everyone is amazed. Every situation is different and every situation could have a different outcome, but hitting only 3 or 4 nuts per side could speed up a stop and if teams are willing to gamble on that then it could pay off. In the past, teams had to make sure all 5 nuts were on the studs and if an official were to see a nut get knocked off they would hold the car until the nut was put back on. Changers were very aware of the rules and hit nuts with a speed they could control. Jack men were also aware of the rule and MOST would wait on the left side for all 5 to get hit. Now, all that changes.
The risk: there is always risk with reward and there is plenty of risks associated with taking this rule out. The first and most obvious risk is a loose wheel. Most changers are very concerned with the repercussions of a loose wheel and won't risk it for a standard stop. This rule comes into play when teams are at a place that eats tires up and a caution with 10 laps to go comes out and the whole field comes down to pit. This is when teams will gamble and may only hit 3-4 nuts and let it ride. With only a few laps left in the race, why not! That's when this rule will become interesting. It should be mentioned that NASCAR will still penalize a team if a tire comes off the car during a run due to a loose wheel. You don't see that very often but it has and does happen.(Pit Talks)(12-11-2014)

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:06 am 

Who gives a shit?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
+1, DB.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Who gives a shit?

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Douchebag wrote:
Who gives a shit?

People reading and posting in a motorsports thread.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:45 am 

i just want to see the press conference after a wheel flys off at 200mph and goes into the stands and kills a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 pm 

I really cant believe that the NASCAR Lawyers & management approved this rule change. It's just ridiculous.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Scorehead wrote:
I really cant believe that the NASCAR Lawyers & management approved this rule change. It's just ridiculous.

It seems contrary to improving driver/fan safety. All we need is a tire rolling down the track, some other car to hit it just right and boost it up over the fence. And you're right that on one of those restarts, I could see a team just going for 2 lugnuts a wheel just to try it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
My driver's Ed teacher was named Ms. A. Lugnut...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm 

newper wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

It seems contrary to improving driver/fan safety. All we need is a tire rolling down the track, some other car to hit it just right and boost it up over the fence. And you're right that on one of those restarts, I could see a team just going for 2 lugnuts a wheel just to try it out.

Taking 2 log nuts will become common during the last pit stop for drivers in contention.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Which means some desperate team will take 1, inevitably

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:04 pm 

why dont they just change the hubs to indy style? 1 lugnut that is designed to be spun on at 40,000 rpm.

its not like anything else about the cars is stock anyway... why stick with 5 bolt pattern?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
IF you were serious about safety, THEN there would be no change of position during caution lap pit stops- come in for 15 seconds, 30 seconds, whatever, get your same spot back. Teams could get all the nuts tight, change 4 tires every time for better racing, and fix more issues safely. Green flag stops are harder to do that so keep them as is. Takes it back to being more about the driver and the racing than about the team/ cutting corners.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:53 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
i just want to see the press conference after a wheel flys off at 200mph and goes into the stands and kills a kid.

I was at the 1998 US 500 CART race at MIS when Adrian Fernandez hit the wall and the front tire/suspension went into the stands and killed 3 people. We were two sections over and I was talking to my girl and saw it all happen. Local ordinance required they leave the bodies until the coroner arrived, so the entire section was cleared out, except for the bodies covered by white sheets as the race continued. Fucking surreal.

I'm sure this will add to the drama, especially on TV, but it seems like a really bad idea.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Hawg Ass wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Who gives a shit?

I second that motion, Hawg.

Apparently DB cares quite a bit, so much so that he just had to post in this thread. Same with redskingreg who is apparently a racist AND someone who pretends not to care about lugnuts.

Maybe DB would prefer another place that doesn't talk about lugnuts?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
IkeSouth wrote:
why dont they just change the hubs to indy style? 1 lugnut that is designed to be spun on at 40,000 rpm.

its not like anything else about the cars is stock anyway... why stick with 5 bolt pattern?

Good thought by you Ike.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Who gives a shit?

I second that motion, Hawg.

Apparently DB cares quite a bit, so much so that he just had to post in this thread. Same with redskingreg who is apparently a racist AND someone who pretends not to care about lugnuts.

Maybe DB would prefer another place that doesn't talk about lugnuts?

I'm sure ur an expert on places that like to talk about nuts.

Last edited by Douchebag on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:37 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I'm sure an expert on places that like to talk about nuts.

jdate.com?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Furious Styles wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
I'm sure an expert on places that like to talk about nuts.

jdate.com?

I'm sure there will be a "lugnut free" board popping up any day now.