It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
We were sitting on a financial house of cards before the government ordered everyone to stay home while it printed money and before it decided to finance a pointless war in Ukraine.

There seems to be a conceit on Wall Street and in DC that "finance" can exist completely divorced from muscular work and real world production.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spaulding wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

She was asking me? What the fuck do I know.

Interest rates are really the issue. You are correct. This is just the beginning.

You know a lot more than I do. :lol:

Beginning of what? Is this going to cause a complete financial collapse?

I only predict tsunamis.

There is a variable debt crisis and I, don't predict, but have concern that it is going to hit very, very hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
What I seek to "get rid of" is the concept of being able to invest your money when it is "pre taxed". Why shouldn't that money be invested "post tax"?
There is an argument to be made for that. It is done to encourage retirement savings though.
The Missing Link wrote:
Makes perfect sense to anyone that understands how inflation works.
I understand how it works. Can you explain how it wipes out the money being "taxed"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Spaulding wrote:

Interest rates are really the issue. You are correct. This is just the beginning.

I only predict tsunamis.

There is a variable debt crisis and I, don't predict, but have concern that it is going to hit very, very hard.

The government will always choose inflation over the real possibility of depression. The 19% rate since Biden has been in office might look low by this time next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
While the FDIC is not directly taxpayer funded, it essentially is: banks are required to pay into it, so that cost is simply passed on to the consumer. Just like a corporate tax on McDonald's ultimately gets passed on with a more expensive Big Mac.

I would argue that if we're going to bail out banks every time they fail (SVB now and MANY in 2008), what purpose does the FDIC serve? We can simply take those FDIC fees and put them in a "lock box" and wait for the next bank failure to bail them out.

I don't get why we keep bailing these banks out--no one is going to bail out my company if we fail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
What I seek to "get rid of" is the concept of being able to invest your money when it is "pre taxed". Why shouldn't that money be invested "post tax"?
There is an argument to be made for that. It is done to encourage retirement savings though.
Doesn't matter why it is done. In a capitalist society should "evil Government" be providing tools to stimulate the economy? Shouldn't that sort of "stimulus" be provided by the rather "utopian" and "altruistic" private sector? Just Asking Questions
The Missing Link wrote:
Makes perfect sense to anyone that understands how inflation works.
Brick wrote:
I understand how it works. Can you explain how it wipes out the money being "taxed"?

If you defer $300 in taxes today it will not be worth $300 in 2053. It likely will not be worth anything. Thus it has been effectively "wiped out" Meanwhile you are allowed to invest that very same $300 (and not pay taxes on it) and by the time 2053 comes around the value of it will have increased "exponentially" in all likelihood.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:15 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Heisenberg wrote:
While the FDIC is not directly taxpayer funded, it essentially is: banks are required to pay into it, so that cost is simply passed on to the consumer. Just like a corporate tax on McDonald's ultimately gets passed on with a more expensive Big Mac.

I would argue that if we're going to bail out banks every time they fail (SVB now and MANY in 2008), what purpose does the FDIC serve? We can simply take those FDIC fees and put them in a "lock box" and wait for the next bank failure to bail them out.

I don't get why we keep bailing these banks out--no one is going to bail out my company if we fail.

Sure, but by that definition, all business is taxpayer funded.

Somebody has to fund something. Our company pays for insurance, we pass that on to the customer, who passes that on to the consumer buying that product. But, I don't consider us taxpayer funded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I only predict tsunamis.

The government will always choose inflation over the real possibility of depression. The 19% since Biden has been in office might look low by this time next year.

The U.S. Dollar is pretty much worthless. They world can't really afford to recognize it though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Heisenberg wrote:

Somebody has to fund something. Our company pays for insurance, we pass that on to the customer, who passes that on to the consumer buying that product. But, I don't consider us taxpayer funded.

Because you aren't.

You could completely remove government from that equation and things would still work the same way.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The U.S. Dollar is pretty much worthless. They world can't really afford to recognize it though.

Who pissed in your coffee this morning? LOL.

The Missing Link wrote:
Doesn't matter why it is done. In a capitalist society should "evil Government" be providing tools to stimulate the economy? Shouldn't that sort of "stimulus" be provided by the rather "utopian" and "altruistic" private sector? Just Asking Questions
Tax policy is done with behavioral goals in mind all the time. We can get rid of all of that if you want.

It still doesn't change the fact that the money does get taxed.
The Missing Link wrote:
If you defer $300 in taxes today it will not be worth $300 in 2053. It likely will not be worth anything. Thus it has been effectively "wiped out" Meanwhile you are allowed to invest that very same $300 (and not pay taxes on it) and by the time 2053 comes around the value of it will have increased "exponentially" in all likelihood.

This is why I say you don't know how it actually works because that is definitely not how it works. If I defer $300 in taxes now and it is worth $0 in 2053 then things have gone very, very, very badly for me.

But then you say the value is not $0 and instead has increased exponentially which is the opposite of what you've said too which makes this even more confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's

I only predict tsunamis.

This might be a tsunami, buddy.

What would be the best course of action? Get my 242 like tom? Will it matter if the money is more or less worthless?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I only predict tsunamis.

The government will always choose inflation over the real possibility of depression. The 19% rate since Biden has been in office might look low by this time next year.

You're 63 and I'm 59. There aren't going to be any golden years for us. We're gonna have a rough ride on our way out. It had to happen some time. We were lucky for the best part of our lives. I'm not gonna complain about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I only predict tsunamis.

The government will always choose inflation over the real possibility of depression. The 19% since Biden has been in office might look low by this time next year.

They most certainly won't when the petrodollar is obsolete. China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and now Iran are working together to try and make that happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 am 

Spaulding wrote:

I only predict tsunamis.

This might be a tsunami, buddy.

What would be the best course of action? Get my 242 like tom? Will it matter if the money is more or less worthless?

It is, buddy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 am 

Brick wrote:
But then you say the value is not $0 and instead has increased exponentially which is the opposite of what you've said too which makes this even more confusing.

This is actually what I stated. Which is very easy to "understand". That is for anyone that is actually trying to "understand" and not merely arguing for the sake of arguing.

Meanwhile you are allowed to invest that very same $300 (and not pay taxes on it) and by the time 2053 comes around the value of it will have increased "exponentially" in all likelihood.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:25 am 
Site Admin

It's ironic that they tried to use FTX to kill Bitcoin and instead killed SVB which collapsed the banking system which is causing desperate buying of Bitcoin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Heisenberg wrote:

It is different because the FDIC is a government entity, with two purposes--to prevent bank failures, and to provide consumers confidence that their deposits (up to $250k) are safe.

They have failed multiple times on goal number one, so I would suggest they have a very poor record of preventing failures.

On two, the government continues to go beyond the $250k limit, so what's the point of having a limit or indeed, the FDIC?

Finally, your company is free to choose whatever insurance company you want, and the amount of coverage you want to pay for. The FDIC is mandatory, as there is not another option that will provide the "FDIC Insured" decal on the door to bank.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

This is actually what I stated. Which is very easy to "understand". That is for anyone that is actually trying to "understand" and merely arguing for the sake of arguing.

Meanwhile you are allowed to invest that very same $300 (and not pay taxes on it) and by the time 2053 comes around the value of it will have increased "exponentially" in all likelihood.

The value of the tax payment would be directly correlated with the value of the investment.

The two can’t be separated.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:31 am 

Heisenberg wrote:

Because it is important for "consumer confidence in financial markets and services" to be restored. The only way for that to occur is for the Gov't to intervene in the restoration of it. Very few believe or have confidence in the private sector to do so.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:31 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

This is actually what I stated. Which is very easy to "understand". That is for anyone that is actually trying to "understand" and not merely arguing for the sake of arguing.

This is in direct contradiction to this though: "If you defer $300 in taxes today it will not be worth $300 in 2053. It likely will not be worth anything."

You are closer to being correct, but you also pay taxes on the initial $300 + any gains you got above $300.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Who pissed in your coffee this morning? LOL.

Because he hit a pretty sweet ice cold exacta over the weekend and was only paid in shitty US dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:33 am 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

This is in direct contradiction to this though: "If you defer $300 in taxes today it will not be worth $300 in 2053. It likely will not be worth anything."

You are closer to being correct, but you also pay taxes on the initial $300 + any gains you got above $300.

Do you not see or "understand" where the word "invest" was used as a way of illustrating how investment of the "deferred" $300 would cause it to "increase exponentially"? Just Asking A Question.

Thus it is not so much the value of the "deferred" $300 that is increasing in as much as it is the money that is made on the $300 that was "deferred" and henceforth "invested". Hopefully you can "understand" now it "works" Brick

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:38 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
It is different because the FDIC is a government entity, with two purposes--to prevent bank failures, and to provide consumers confidence that their deposits (up to $250k) are safe.

They have failed multiple times on goal number one, so I would suggest they have a very poor record of preventing failures.

On two, the government continues to go beyond the $250k limit, so what's the point of having a limit or indeed, the FDIC?

Finally, your company is free to choose whatever insurance company you want, and the amount of coverage you want to pay for. The FDIC is mandatory, as there is not another option that will provide the "FDIC Insured" decal on the door to bank.

That's fair. But I don't think outside the government there would be a bank insurance market.

I still think it's a stretch to consider it taxpayer funded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Spaulding wrote:
Can somebody explain what is happening and what is going to happen?

Basically these banks deal with a lot of large tech companies, they deposit lage sums for payroll and other large deposits..over the 250k fdic threshold.. . The banks invested in a safe treasury bonds and these goofy libs have tanked the economy with printing money and Ukraine and covid.. so the bonds are in the shitter with massive inflation.. the government is backing their losses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's ironic that they tried to use FTX to kill Bitcoin and instead killed SVB which collapsed the banking system which is causing desperate buying of Bitcoin.

Jesus, I just checked. You're right. Up almost 20% from last week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:41 am 

But I don't think outside the government there would be a bank insurance market.
We know that there wouldn't be. That is why "Gov't Intervention" is oh so important in this instance. But since it is Gov't "interference" that "WE" like, or more importantly, are willing to "accept", it isn't stigmatized in the same way that other interference on the part of Gov't happens to be.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:46 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
But I don't think outside the government there would be a bank insurance market.
We know that there wouldn't be. That is why "Gov't Intervention" is oh so important in this instance. But since it is Gov't "interference" that "WE" like, or more importantly, are willing to "accept", it isn't stigmatized in the same way that other interference on the part of Gov't happens to be.

Your quoting tendencies makes for very stilted reading.

And I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You are stating that you've always been against the FDIC? And this is a position you've held for quite some time? Because you do not want the banks to pay into this and would prefer no recourse in times of potential failure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:48 am 

The Missing Link wrote:

Your quoting tendencies makes for very stilted reading.

And I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You are stating that you've always been against the FDIC? And this is a position you've held for quite some time? Because you do not want the banks to pay into this and would prefer no recourse in time of potential failure.

I'm not saying that I'm against anything. What I am saying is that MANY that claim to be against Government Intervention are quite accepting of Government Intervention (such as FDIC) when it is beneficial to them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
312player wrote:

Basically these banks deal with a lot of large tech companies, they deposit lage sums for payroll and other large deposits..over the 250k fdic threshold.. . The banks invested in a safe treasury bonds and these goofy libs have tanked the economy with printing money and Ukraine and covid.. so the bonds are in the shitter with massive inflation.. the government is backing their losses

Thank you. Trading halted this morning on the bigger banks too...and the people who have been telling me the last 2 years has been fine said this was all fine, it's just not reassuring.

It is, buddy.

You're pissing in my Cheerios now. What should I do with my money?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next