It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Queen Elizabeth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hussra wrote:
Obviously Alaska and Hawaii trump anything on the mainland/lower 48 in terms of must see destinations.

Manhattan, New Orleans and previously SF were must see destinations in the continental US. Maybe <pick your coastal city> FLA, for the beach action. Sarasota-Bradenton area probably first choice in that respect.

If you just wanna be a tourist and do tourist-y things, Chicago tough to beat; maybe Orlando and all the Disney crap, but Chicago's a bit more adult in its tourist attractions. And then DC I suppose for the U.S. history and museums and monuments. Then you're done and can die and go to Champaign, Illinois.

Everybody says Alaska is great...that's another one I don't think I'd love. I think people love it because it's so different, it sounds freeing if that makes sense. I want to do NY, there are things I'd like there...it would be a one or two and done though, my husband says I won't like it. I'd do NO but I don't think I'd love it either. We drove thru SF a few years ago and I was there when I was little, I probably would have liked it but that time may have passed.

Chicago is fine, I probably take it for granted but at the same time I'm not connected to it. I wouldn't think of it as a vacation place ever in the same way I'd never go on vacation to somewhere like LA. DC was great for historical stuff but it has a weird feel, I think you should see it but I liked Boston more. I like FL a lot, not the Orlando stuff necessarily, but the beaches and food and it's friendly. I'd probably like the Carolinas. I haven't been a whole lot of places we never had the money. I hate MN.

I'd love to do a 3+ week trip to Italy and a 3+ week trip to France. It's funny, in the thread from a month ago (or so) Darkside likes space stuff and I really don't care about it and he thought that was...something, but I could look at a painting piece of art or talk to somebody about food that knew what they were doing for hours especially in France or Italy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I've always heard good things about Alaska cruises. Not a cruise person but maybe that would be one I'd try.

If you like friendly people and good food/drink/etc, New York is great. Just stay on Manhattan and in a hotel or airbnb or whatever that's in proximity to what you most want to do.

If you want to do tourist New York, stay at least in Mid-town or higher (in terms of street numbers). Otherwise you'll spend all your time traveling from lower Manhattan up to the park and museums and times square etc.

If you want to experience everyday new york or local bars and restaurants, stay in Gramercy Park or lower East Side (if you can find a place, not many hotels in that area). South Street Seaport used to be like the west loop meatpacking and warehouse district used to be (and parts of the west loop sorta still are). But after the flooding and storm it's been gentrified and renovated into an upscale pedestrian mail and hipster dining and bars. ESPN even has their studios there now. It's a good spot to stay--couple of reasonable for New York hotels---if you're going for a concert in lower Manhattan or across in Brooklyn or to the WTC memorial/Statue of Liberty/Staten Island (which is only recommended for pizza and the ferry ride). But otherwise too far from everything else.

Best thing to do in New York during the day: guided walking tours of particular neighborhoods. You can usually get cheap or free tickets for em and then just throw the guide a ten at the end. The West Village one is great if you like music and comedy and a bit of history. But there are tours for every neighborhood on Manhattan. you might even be able to download self-guided audio tours and concomitant maps. If you're fast walker the guided tours can seem a little slow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:24 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
NYC = Seattle = Chicago = SF... It's gonna be a while if ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Hussra wrote:
I think they are more circumspect about putting their pillagings on display nowadays but the British Museum (whatever it's called) is worth a visit.

some nations are turning the screws on getting back what they feel is theirs.

no more outrageous example of centuries of pillaging and plundering: in america, 'antique roadshow'. a humble wisconsin farmhouse produces a 1929 radio flyer, a jimmie fox baseball card and a picnic table with 2 bullet holes from the old bohemia lodge. usd: $6,300.

in the u.k., 'cash in the attic'. a humble devonshire home produces an umbrella stand of pure ivory, circa 1799 chinese jade jewelry box and a walking stick of rosewood and capped with an emerald and gold handle. usd: $433,050.

"my grand-papa ran a tea plantation and my great-grand papa was a royal navy officer who spent time on the sub-continent. i imagine they brought back these souvenirs".

rip Elizabeth R. God save the king.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:32 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Reggie Jackson's tweet about the Queen was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:56 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Hussra wrote:
I've always heard good things about Alaska cruises. Not a cruise person but maybe that would be one I'd try.

How can you say you are not a cruise person if you have never tried it? That said, I too never thought I'd enjoy cruising until, guess what, I tried it. Since then I have been on 5. Every one has been fantastic, including Alaska, in summer of '19. I go for the big ships. The bigger the better. So much to do. As for the paradigm of the obese people gorging themselves on the buffet, with so many other dining options, in Alaska we never even saw it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:00 am 

denisdman wrote:
Cubs Cards next June. Join us.

I joked with my wife, from Arlington Heights it is easier to get to London than it is getting to Wrigley.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:11 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Reggie Jackson's tweet about the Queen was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Telegram Sam beat him to it.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
If you’re feeling down just imagine an older Japanese businessman saying “most honorable Queen Elizabeth loved fried rice”.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
I just read something that said they were concerned about her health. She died that fast?

As my mom was dragging on an unflitered cigarette she liked to say, "I'd look pretty dumb lying in the hospital dying of nothing." I think the Queen literally "died of nothing." She just got too old to live. My mother-in-law is about the same age as the Queen and she's dying of nothing too. There isn't anything drastically wrong with her, she's just old. I think I read somewhere that a typical human body can't physically last longer than 118 years.

Anyway, I loved the Queen. When I was running my construction company, everyday at 4:00 p.m. we would gather in my partner's office for tea. He would pull a photo of Elizabeth out of his drawer and set it on top of the table along with the various teas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:52 am 

Did you guys have 30 corgis milling about during tea?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:57 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:

:lol: No. I do love Corgis though. (Pour out some tea for jimmypasta.) I think the Queen only had one dog left and it was a Dorgi.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
I just read something that said they were concerned about her health. She died that fast?

As my mom was dragging on an unflitered cigarette she liked to say, "I'd look pretty dumb lying in the hospital dying of nothing." I think the Queen literally "died of nothing." She just got too old to live. My mother-in-law is about the same age as the Queen and she's dying of nothing too. There isn't anything drastically wrong with her, she's just old. I think I read somewhere that a typical human body can't physically last longer than 118 years.

Anyway, I loved the Queen. When I was running my construction company, everyday at 4:00 p.m. we would gather in my partner's office for tea. He would pull a photo of Elizabeth out of his drawer and set it on top of the table along with the various teas.

This may be the strangest thing you've ever revealed about yourself on this site. And that takes in a lot of territory.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Something something telomeres. Yeah, we're all born with a maximum life expectancy because of our telomeres. It would be nice to know that number early.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

This may be the strangest thing you've ever revealed about yourself on this site. And that takes in a lot of territory.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:12 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Is it worth the trip?

yes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:14 am 

denisdman wrote:
Cubs Cards next June. Join us.

my boy might be working in the house of lords next summer...might be able to get a private tour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:16 am 

Spaulding wrote:
a genius wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Is it worth the trip?

100% yes. Was there for the Bears game in 2019. All the sightseeing, etc that we did in the couple of days before the game didn't scratch the surface. I'd love to go back again to see more. We were also in Dublin and Brussels on that trip.

Hawg Ass wrote:
Supposedly the food has gotten better over there, is was beyond awful back in 1988.

It wasn't terrible...wasn't the best on that trip, though. Brussels had the best food I had, and Dublin's was really good too.

Ditto and ditto. In addition to London for the Bears we did Prague for the Hawks and then a few days in Dublin. I would not hesitate to return to all three.

Hmmm...Like what? Genuinely curious...I can't think of things I'd really want to see there although when I think about it I'm not really into British history.

you should go to las vegas and see the eifel tower and statue of liberty all in one block

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:18 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
a genius wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Is it worth the trip?

100% yes. Was there for the Bears game in 2019. All the sightseeing, etc that we did in the couple of days before the game didn't scratch the surface. I'd love to go back again to see more. We were also in Dublin and Brussels on that trip.

Hawg Ass wrote:
Supposedly the food has gotten better over there, is was beyond awful back in 1988.

It wasn't terrible...wasn't the best on that trip, though. Brussels had the best food I had, and Dublin's was really good too.

Ditto and ditto. In addition to London for the Bears we did Prague for the Hawks and then a few days in Dublin. I would not hesitate to return to all three.

Hmmm...Like what? Genuinely curious...I can't think of things I'd really want to see there although when I think about it I'm not really into British history.

you should go to las vegas and see the eifel tower and statue of liberty all in one block

Then have your husband pay around $1k so you all can join the mile high club.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

:lol: No. I do love Corgis though. (Pour out some tea for jimmypasta.) I think the Queen only had one dog left and it was a Dorgi.

jimmy is dead?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:36 am 

I don't understand the mindset of not liking to travel. I love traveling everywhere. I've stayed in some real shitholes and occasionally put myself in danger but still found something I liked about it. I'm kind of like Clark Griswold traveling out of my way to see the world's biggest ball of yarn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:46 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

jimmy is dead?

I hope not, but I think he would have posted if he weren't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
I don't understand the mindset of not liking to travel. I love traveling everywhere. I've stayed in some real shitholes and occasionally put myself in danger but still found something I liked about it. I'm kind of like Clark Griswold traveling out of my way to see the world's biggest ball of yarn

I hope this was a young dolphin. I agree with you when it comes to traveling. I just have no desire to visit the same place repeatedly. I'm a culture orphan; I understand it's probably different for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:32 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I hope this was a young dolphin. I agree with you when it comes to traveling. I just have no desire to visit the same place repeatedly. I'm a culture orphan; I understand it's probably different for you.

When I was a kid we went to New York a couple of times. For whatever reason my parents were ok with me wandering around the city alone for hours at a time. Honestly l only felt out of place in an extremely busy lower East side deli.

Oddly enough the places I've found myself in other cities never gave me any pause. Even when I was in the projects in New Orleans, Fifth Ward Houston and the Bronx.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Nas wrote:
I just have no desire to visit the same place repeatedly.

Don't tell that to the Disney junkies :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:58 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Nas wrote:
I just have no desire to visit the same place repeatedly.

Don't tell that to the Disney junkies :lol:

One of the happiest days for me was when my sons were young was when my parents took them back to Disney world. It meant that I'd never have to go back there. Ever.

Twice was enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
:lol:

Hand up, I enjoy taking the kids to Disney. They absolutely love that place.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:13 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
:lol:

Hand up, I enjoy taking the kids to Disney. They absolutely love that place.

Mine did as well, until they went to New York. Which they loved much more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
We never took our kids to Disney when they were young, we never had the time or the money, but in 2019 when my kids were 18 and 15 we decided to go and boy we had a great time. We were glad we waited, we actually felt bad for the younger parents with toddlers and strollers fighting their way around those parks. It really worked out well for all of us, but I don't see too much need to ever go back. It was great while it lasted though, great vacation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next