It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Regular Reader
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:58 pm 

looked like Glen Loury

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
looked like Glen Loury

On that day. He changed nationalities frequently. He probably looked Iranian the next day.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I think it would be appropriate if anyone feels comfortable in posting serivces information, if there are any.

Please, if possible.

If it's available, it will absolutely be posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm really sad to hear this. Bright guy, and even when we disagreed here, we were always friendly in PMs. He was a really good guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

If there's a memorial, I would be shocked if it was the open casket variety. Life began kicking the shit out of him shortly after that picture was taken, and it never let up. He was a shell of his former self at the end. His pride sustained him.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Nas wrote:
If there's a memorial, I would be shocked if it was the open casket variety. Life began kicking the shit out of him shortly after that picture was taken, and it never let up. He was a shell of his former self at the end. His pride sustained him.

I'll remember him as I met him. A vibrant guy.

Sorry to hear it got bad at the end. The whole day has been just sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Nas wrote:

As difficult as it may be, I think these moments are best when they're somewhat of a celebration. He lived a helluva life and left at peace and on his terms. That's a win.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

As difficult as it may be, I think these moments are best when they're somewhat of a celebration. He lived a helluva life and left at peace and on his terms. That's a win.

He was just still telling me how authentic Popeye's was.

Let's take 1 day to be sad and then talk about how horrible the Saints are and eat a bunch of Cajun food.

Sorry, WZ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
This one hurts. He was more to this board than just another poster. He will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:17 pm 

Deleted.

Last edited by Zippy-The-Pinhead on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

20 years ago I went to a funeral of a family friend and it was one of the most joyous events I have ever been to with people celebrating Roscoe's life. But that's who he was, and there certainly is something to be said about that. Mourn the loss, but celebrate the life. I was looking through a few old texts I had with Leon and the pms. For someone I had nothing in common with I sure had a lot in common with him. I sat In disbelief when I saw the post. I regret that he and I never got together for the drinks we always talked about. That's about all I can say about it I guess. I will miss my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Nas wrote:

ya i been bummed the whole day after reading this news. i didnt even know the guy.

maybe it would have been nice to shut the board down today except for this thread. I see stupid shit and arguments getting posted on here today. Should have had just stopped that shit and just remembered RR.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:26 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

20 years ago I went to a funeral of a family friend and it was one of the most joyous events I have ever been to with people celebrating Roscoe's life. But that's who he was, and there certainly is something to be said about that. Mourn the loss, but celebrate the life. I was looking through a few old texts I had with Leon and the pms. For someone I had nothing in common with I sure had a lot in common with him. I sat In disbelief when I saw the post. I regret that he and I never got together for the drinks we always talked about. That's about all I can say about it I guess. I will miss my friend.

That’s an Irish wake. My brother passed away recently and there were 2 beer coolers in the basement of the church….we’re rural folk.

When I go, I want people to get together and just have a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

That’s an Irish wake. My brother passed away recently and there were 2 beer coolers in the basement of the church….we’re rural folk.

I told my wife the same thing. Told her to book that church and have Roscoe's peeps come.

The Irish wake I went to was for a kid so it kinda sucked. The wake and funeral for my father in law a couple weeks back was definitely not Irish even if it was an Irish Priest.

Sorry to hear about your brother Doc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Well this is absolute shit news.

I have met a few of you at a Bears watching party when I still lived in Illinois (deni$, Dr. Ken, a couple of people who no longer post), and I've met Telegram Sam at his business.

Reader was someone I had really hoped to meet while I still worked in the Loop. I believe that he had attended the golf event pre-COVID which JORR had organized a group, and I was not back to playing at that point. I was still going into the Loop once a month for work before the pandemic, but I was never able to organize a dinner at a Loop place such as the Revival court.

While we disagreed on several issues, Reader was always polite with me and I enjoyed trading stories of 1980s aldermanic politics with him as we were of similar age and we knew some of the same people but from very different perspectives.

RIP, and if there is no public notice but there was a charity he preferred, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The services info is nice go have but is there anything his kids need? Anyone who knows them just pm me if you don't want to make it public.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I hope its not wrong to share a PM we had a couple years ago. Looking back I feel it's relevant. There was a thread a while back on gun safety and Reader referenced a friend from back in the day. I said something about how, based on his description of his friend, that he had "graduated". His reply was a bit ambiguous so I sent him this...

"If it wasn't clear, I meant that I assume he passed. I don't like to say died. I look at dying like getting a promotion or graduating to the next level. It's childish I know but it makes me happy to think like that"

He sent back

"No worries. I think the same way. And knew what you meant."

I hope he felt like that still. I still do. I've been staring at death in my own way over the last few months and I still feel like that. Like I told him, maybe it's childish. But still... it's comforting.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:08 pm 

RIP Reader. May your Utopia be better then Obama's!

pizza_Place: giordanos
Isn’t the Danville stuff wrong?

100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Not much information but there is a message section.
https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/in/danville/leon-hamilton-16528345

This is just a coincidence. Please don't send these people any messages it flowers. RR is younger and has a winter birthday.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We had some good times. Very sad news.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

I guess it's the 1/8 Irish in me that wants the same. Torch me, drink whiskey, and talk about Chicago sports.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:51 pm 

When I read this sad news it made me think of days long ago when people on different sides of the globe could be and were friends through letters and correspondence. That’s the same for a lot of us and Reader.

Nothing was better than getting Reader to :lol: at one of your posts or give you a kudos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 pm 

Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

This is just a coincidence. Please don't send these people any messages it flowers. RR is younger and has a winter birthday.

Sorry for the inaccurate post & I’ve deleted it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I’m still a relative newcomer here so don’t have the history most of you have; I won’t pretend to know him. In that time, I had a few pm exchanges with him where he showed the type of sense of humor & perspective that seems to have been a consistent theme in all of the comments here today. Not surprisingly those PMs all came from threads where we were on the opposite side of an issue.

He was one of the few guys who could vehemently disagree in an argument without (seemingly) taking it personally.

It’s no surprise he’ll be sorely missed.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:20 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
He was one of the few guys who could vehemently disagree in an argument without (seemingly) taking it personally.

That is exactly right and it is something that is sadly not very common anymore. I always appreciated that about him. I have looked back over some PM exchanges he and I have had over the years. A true class act.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Sorry for the inaccurate post & I’ve deleted it.

It was a pretty impressive coincidence for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nas wrote:

He faced death with courage.

We talked about it plainly when we got together last month. He thought he had more time, and I’m sad Nas and I won’t see him tomorrow like we planned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Sorry, Nas. If it feels so bad for me, it must feel--well, I don't even need to finish that sentence.

Watching the Sox-Dodgers game, I had to giggle. RR and I shared an affinity for women of a certain ethnicity. I feel bad saying it, but he always piped up whenever I made mention of this, and it never failed to make me laugh.

I think the first time I connected with him was when I shared some Harlem Renaissance poetry on the board. He zeroed in on that, and I got a huge kick out of the fact that he was related to Lorraine Hansberry. That was nine years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

He faced death with courage.

We talked about it plainly when we got together last month. He thought he had more time, and I’m sad Nas and I won’t see him tomorrow like we planned

I didn't even know some of you guys still saw each other. I wish I was here for the golden age of the board. But what you wrote is painful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next