It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
America wrote:
Not the first Uber driver murdered and definitely wont be the last. Very sad that this happened, but its even sadder that people will continue to use and defend a platform that does nothing to protect drivers or passengers. What happened here is definitely preventable but Uber and Lyft ensure problem riders (and drivers) continue to use their app. Cheap rides > human lives, I suppose.

What did you want Uber or Lyft to provide in terms of safety? What could they have done to prevent a person from getting into this guy's car and sticking a machete through the back of the seat that the driver never saw?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 pm 

I think it was mentioned before, but how did no one at Walmart approach a person that was stealing a knife and a machete from the store?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
I think it was mentioned before, but how did no one at Walmart approach a person that was stealing a knife and a machete from the store?

I could understand not approaching them, but I'd think a call to the police would be in quick order.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 am 

newper wrote:

I could understand not approaching them, but I'd think a call to the police would be in quick order.

Right. I thought knifes and machetes were behind a counter and needed to be accessed by an employee. I know you couldn't even get a swiss army knife at Sports Authority back in the day without an employee opening the case. Maybe its not that way at Walmart?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:37 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
newper wrote:

Right. I thought knifes and machetes were behind a counter and needed to be accessed by an employee. I know you couldn't even get a swiss army knife at Sports Authority back in the day without an employee opening the case. Maybe its not that way at Walmart?

Even infant milk formula is locked up behind a customer service desk at many places. That's messed up if the milk was locked at Walmart but not the weapons.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:10 am 

from what i read, the surveillance camera picked up that she removed the weapons from their respective wrapping/containers. so they must be on some kind of display that's easily grabbed.

this story wound up being one of the major headlines on Yahoo! sometime yesterday. i've seen it featured in time, washington post, among other major news sites.

my hope, again, is for the exposure of some of the blind spots these companies have (walmart, uber). she should not have been able to easily steal weapons, and leave undetected. she should not have been able to get 3 uber rides being underage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
from what i read, the surveillance camera picked up that she removed the weapons from their respective wrapping/containers. so they must be on some kind of display that's easily grabbed.

this story wound up being one of the major headlines on Yahoo! sometime yesterday. i've seen it featured in time, washington post, among other major news sites.

my hope, again, is for the exposure of some of the blind spots these companies have (walmart, uber). she should not have been able to easily steal weapons, and leave undetected. she should not have been able to get 3 uber rides being underage.

I don't think anything can be done about her being able to request an Uber ride, but protecting drivers is obviously a good starting point for a discussion.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
What was her motive for doing this? It doesn't sound like it was an attempted robbery and I don't think any of the reports I have heard mentioned why she did this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Tad Queasy wrote:
What was her motive for doing this? It doesn't sound like it was an attempted robbery and I don't think any of the reports I have heard mentioned why she did this.

Clearly mental issues. Only heard something about a history w/treatment facilities.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 am 

it looks like walmart could be culpable for some kind of lawsuit. on the news last night they showed an interview with a witness who was at walmart and said they saw the girl looking for weapons and looking completely broken down. they alerted security, who did nothing to stop her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

I know all Walmart's are crazy, but this one one Touhy is extra crazy. and it is busy all hours of the day and night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Telegram Sam wrote:

I know all Walmart's are crazy, but this one one Touhy is extra crazy. and it is busy all hours of the day and night.

This is true. I went there 10-12 years ago looking for a specific golf ball that was being closed out. 1 out of 3 in the store was on meth, employees included.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
W_Z wrote:
it looks like walmart could be culpable for some kind of lawsuit. on the news last night they showed an interview with a witness who was at walmart and said they saw the girl looking for weapons and looking completely broken down. they alerted security, who did nothing to stop her.

I read this morning that the woman who saw her at Walmart actually called the cops.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Sorry Zach :( life is the toughest game

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
newper wrote:

Call me crazy but I believe you can easily snag a machete in the camping area at our local Walmart.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Apparently the family is suing Walmart because they security guards didn't stop her from stealing the machete and knife.

Quote:
The family of an Uber driver who was hacked to death while on the job has sued Walmart, where authorities said the driver's teenage attacker stole her murder weapons — a machete and knife — moments before the killing.

Grant Nelson's family filed suit in Cook County court Monday against Walmart and two companies that handled security for the retailer's Skokie store. Authorities allege that 16-year-old Eliza Wasni stole the machete and the knife from a Walmart about 3 a.m. May 30, then got into Nelson's car and hacked and stabbed him to death moments into the ride.

The wrongful death lawsuit said Walmart's security contractors were negligent because they failed to stop Wasni, question her or ask her to show a receipt as she allegedly left the store carrying the weapons.

So if she had paid for them, there would be no problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Wal Mart should sue the family for retail theft.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Apparently the family is suing Walmart because they security guards didn't stop her from stealing the machete and knife.

Quote:
The family of an Uber driver who was hacked to death while on the job has sued Walmart, where authorities said the driver's teenage attacker stole her murder weapons — a machete and knife — moments before the killing.

Grant Nelson's family filed suit in Cook County court Monday against Walmart and two companies that handled security for the retailer's Skokie store. Authorities allege that 16-year-old Eliza Wasni stole the machete and the knife from a Walmart about 3 a.m. May 30, then got into Nelson's car and hacked and stabbed him to death moments into the ride.

The wrongful death lawsuit said Walmart's security contractors were negligent because they failed to stop Wasni, question her or ask her to show a receipt as she allegedly left the store carrying the weapons.

Yeah I'm not sure how this is going to go for them. What's the corrective action , everyone gets inspected on the way out?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Scary stuff. I don't want to have to stop stealing in the self-checkout line.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Quote:

Yeah I'm not sure how this is going to go for them. What's the corrective action , everyone gets inspected on the way out?
I guess it depends on if they knew about it or not and let her walk.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Walmart used to really hassle you about receipts as you were on the way out. I think enough people got annoyed and complained/ignored it that they just stopped it. I'm waiting for the day that we stop being nice and start being real at Costco. Eventually on a holiday weekend, people are just going to say fuck it and stop waiting in the receipt checking line. Stop treating every customer like they are stealing. I paid, I don't want to stand in another line to prove to this goof at the door that I just spent $300 on stuff I didn't need to buy in bulk in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Quote:

I guess it depends on if they knew about it or not and let her walk.

If I'm making min wage at Walmart and a weirdo comes in at 3AM and steals a machete, I'm not getting in her way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 pm 

i visited his mother a few weeks ago after visiting his grave, and i asked what they were going to do about walmart, especially after it came out that witnesses told security what was going on and they didn't stop her. she told me they were getting lawyers involved.

the wrongful death suit should be focusing on the failure of security for stopping her, not necessarily for the theft of the knives.

security was notified that she was stalking the place holding knives out, and they didn't stop her. that's the family's problem. and i completely agree with them.

Last edited by W_Z on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Walmart used to really hassle you about receipts as you were on the way out. I think enough people got annoyed and complained/ignored it that they just stopped it. I'm waiting for the day that we stop being nice and start being real at Costco. Eventually on a holiday weekend, people are just going to say fuck it and stop waiting in the receipt checking line. Stop treating every customer like they are stealing. I paid, I don't want to stand in another line to prove to this goof at the door that I just spent $300 on stuff I didn't need to buy in bulk in the first place.
They are checking to make sure you don't get double charged. It's for your benefit. You should be thanking Costco for how they treat you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
If I'm making min wage at Walmart and a weirdo comes in at 3AM and steals a machete, I'm not getting in her way.
I'm not either but I'm calling the police who probably have a car stationed at every Wal-Mart all night anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
They are checking to make sure you don't get double charged. It's for your benefit. You should be thanking Costco for how they treat you.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Other than a cursory look they're really not doing much at Costco . If you want to see my receipt to prevent me from walking with iPads or $2k plasmas ok but strawberries and my caramel macadamias ?? Cmon.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I'm not either but I'm calling the police who probably have a car stationed at every Wal-Mart all night anyways.

For sure. I'm not clear on the timeline though. If she walked in and walked out, you probably aren't getting a cop there in time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

If Walmart security or whoever knew about it and didn't even bother to call the police that's the laziest fucking security in the world. Im not suggesting Walmart security is the best in the business but I'd have a hard time believing that.

To rock my soul

Last edited by FavreFan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Other than a cursory look they're really not doing much at Costco . If you want to see my receipt to prevent me from walking with iPads or $2k plasmas ok but strawberries and my caramel macadamias ?? Cmon.

This

Hell, we were at the one in Vernon Hills on Saturday, and had all the stuff under the cart (kids were riding in it)...they didn't even bother looking. The guy just marked the receipt and sent us on our way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next