It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finance Guys
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:13 am 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-20/robots-are-eating-money-managers-lunch

The group that pushed most heavily the false narrative of "not enough American coders" getting replaced by code generated by American and foreign coders! :lol:

I can't wait to see all of them say "The company has a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to do what is best for the bottom line" so I recommend you replace me.

Post subject: Re: Finance Guys
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
So what happens when there are no more human lunches for computers to eat? Does it just become computers sparring against each other "let the best code win"? How even does that work?

And what does this mean for wealth inequality?

I know you're a fan of this type of stuff, I wonder if you're as optimistic of the future it will create.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 am 

America wrote:
So what happens when there are no more human lunches for computers to eat? Does it just become computers sparring against each other "let the best code win"? How even does that work?
That would be so far in the future it may not even be imaginable at this point.
America wrote:
Societies will have to change but eventually wealth inequality really won't be an issue. You'll be able to live an amazing life for very cheap.

America wrote:
I know you're a fan of this type of stuff, I wonder if you're as optimistic of the future it will create.
At least in our lifetimes, it will create more problems than it will solve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
That would be so far in the future it may not even be imaginable at this point.
America wrote:
Societies will have to change but eventually wealth inequality really won't be an issue. You'll be able to live an amazing life for very cheap.

America wrote:
At least in our lifetimes, it will create more problems than it will solve.

I don't know if it will be outside of our lifetimes. There are going to be accelerating returns on this because the machines are learning and helping. I would expect to see a human level AI in the next 15-20 years. After that all bets are off. I don't know if we can comprehend what that will mean for us.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm 

True human level AI is a long way away. We can't even come close to dog level AI and besides a few exceptions on this board, humans are many levels of magnitude smarter than dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
True human level AI is a long way away. We can't even come close to dog level AI and besides a few exceptions on this board, humans are many levels of magnitude smarter than dogs.

Orders of magnitude.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The guys running active mutual funds are getting what they deserve. They always charged too much, and they can't beat an index fund. Vanguard figured that out in the 70's. We already saw the disappearance of floor based trading, and money has been shifting rapidly to passive investing. I wonder what happens when it's just computers trading with each other?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 pm 

denisdman wrote:
The guys running active mutual funds are getting what they deserve. They always charged too much, and they can't beat an index fund. Vanguard figured that out in the 70's. We already saw the disappearance of floor based trading, and money has been shifting rapidly to passive investing. I wonder what happens when it's just computers trading with each other?

Traders won't have jobs that they work until 2-3pm and then do coke?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 pm 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

RPB probably has some good stories. From what I've heard, those guys were legendary for their gambling, drug habits, and hookers. And yes, much of it before dinner time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I worked on the floor at CBoT in the mid 90's.. Pretty sure I saw people doing coke on the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm 

Then off to Alcox[sp?]

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
I worked on the floor at CBoT in the mid 90's.. Pretty sure I saw people doing coke on the floor.

Feel free to share more than that. I was always most interested in how these guys lived on the edge financially, winning and losing fortunes often in the same day. But I heard there was plenty of money to be spent on women and drugs by the winners of the futures lottery.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-20/robots-are-eating-money-managers-lunch

The group that pushed most heavily the false narrative of "not enough American coders" getting replaced by code generated by American and foreign coders! :lol:

I can't wait to see all of them say "The company has a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to do what is best for the bottom line" so I recommend you replace me.

heck, I'd argue John Bogle and his firm (Vanguard) did more to destroy money management as a profession than computers. If you follow his astute advise you would be putting your money into S&P 500 Index Funds, which by their nature are passively managed. You never beat the market, but you also never under-perform. You can reasonably expect 8% return while only spending 0.05% as your expense ratio for the fund.

Most actively managed funds will under-perform the market and even if your fund over-performs, the expense ratio may be so high that you still fall behind the index fund. At one point I wanted to go into finance, but I read Bogle's book and realized that the days of actively managed funds were numbered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:

John Bogle's book should be required reading when setting up a 401k. He founded Vanguard on those principles and I have been a loyal investor of their index funds since I entered the workforce.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

I don't know if it will be outside of our lifetimes. There are going to be accelerating returns on this because the machines are learning and helping. I would expect to see a human level AI in the next 15-20 years. After that all bets are off. I don't know if we can comprehend what that will mean for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:16 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

John Bogle's book should be required reading when setting up a 401k. He founded Vanguard on those principles and I have been a loyal investor of their index funds since I entered the workforce.

I have been educated as a stock picker with fundamental financial analysis, and I only use Index funds for my retirement portfolio and children's college money. Active managers cannot consistently beat the market especially when factoring in fees. And even "skilled" managers with a great track record tend to fall off over time. Thus it is hard to pick a good manager in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
denisdman wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Feel free to share more than that. I was always most interested in how these guys lived on the edge financially, winning and losing fortunes often in the same day. But I heard there was plenty of money to be spent on women and drugs by the winners of the futures lottery.

Watched a guy lose, I can't remember exactly, something like 30 Million in 30 minutes..Idiot was short corn on a transition day and there is no limit on those days at closing to get it settled. Was warned for weeks but didn't act. The grain floor took him, and some other people, to the cleaners. Sad. I don't have a lot of the social stories and I was just a cog in the machine and was under only there for a short time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Love Vanguard. I'm probably 85% in with them for my 401k.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:15 pm 

Indeed. They are the gold standard in offering low cost funds for long term holdings. You can't go wrong with their index offerings.

For folks that are so inclined, be sure to spread your investments across different market cap slices (small, mid, large) and a decent percentage in first world global funds. I would avoid going all in on the S&P 500 especially with it being increasingly overweighted by the FAANG stocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I'm still going to be working another 30-35 years. I'm all small cap/higher risk right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I'm still going to be working another 30-35 years. I'm all small cap/higher risk right now.

If you were going to play the down and out stuff, then value, small cap, and Europe would be the way to go. When you have a 15 year plus time horizon, then there is no reason to play short term moves. Higher risk is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:01 pm 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Jealous?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Lawyers and doctors too:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6008 ... r-you-now/

http://time.com/money/4387657/donotpay- ... rk-london/

on the coding side, the sea change/paradigm shift from difficult to grok/implement and bug-riddled object-oriented coding to readily grokked and more easily implemented sans bugs functional programming will accelerate the pace of all software development in the coming years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The guys who traded grains (wheat, corn, beans, etc) successfully had a great life. I remember once being asked by a trader if I would hire his son for a summer intern job, and I asked the trader if his son was looking for full-time or part-time. Without hesitation, he said "full-time -- 9:30 to 1:15" (which were the trading hours for corn).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
The guys who traded grains (wheat, corn, beans, etc) successfully had a great life. I remember once being asked by a trader if I would hire his son for a summer intern job, and I asked the trader if his son was looking for full-time or part-time. Without hesitation, he said "full-time -- 9:30 to 1:15" (which were the trading hours for corn).

We had to stick sround til 2 sometimes.