pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
KDdidit wrote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject: Re: Bobby Heenan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm 

Mike Tenay: "Just who is the leader of the nWo?"
Bobby Heenan: "I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tony Danza comes out."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm 

https://youtu.be/i0_6bebu4lo

This is some funny shit from Heenan doing Color at the survivor series.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 pm 

Been listening to some stuff on Heenan. JR on his podcast called Heenan the greatest talent in wrestling history. His reasoning was that he was a main event worker in his day. He was arguably the greatest manager of all time. And he was one of the greatest announcers of all time. The last two are no doubt IMO. The first one is the one I am not sure about. Was Heenan really a main event worker in his day? That was well before my time but I dont think I have ever heard that before. Is JR right about this or he is just stretching things in the wake of the guys death?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
RFDC wrote:
Been listening to some stuff on Heenan. JR on his podcast called Heenan the greatest talent in wrestling history. His reasoning was that he was a main event worker in his day. He was arguably the greatest manager of all time. And he was one of the greatest announcers of all time. The last two are no doubt IMO. The first one is the one I am not sure about. Was Heenan really a main event worker in his day? That was well before my time but I dont think I have ever heard that before. Is JR right about this or he is just stretching things in the wake of the guys death?

Many consider him to be one of the best workers in the ring because of his bumping, selling, ability to generate heat, and ring psychology. Listen to Prichard's latest podcast- 3 1/2 hours dedicated to Heenan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:36 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He was a huge deal in the AWA and a couple of the territories and would wrestle fairly often, and when he did, he would take absurd levels of punishment: enough to screw up his neck and eventually ask Brian Pillman what the fuck he was doing on live TV.

"Greatest talent in wrestling history" is tough to reckon with because you look at how Hogan and the Rock transcended the show-business ghetto of professional wrestling, or how Ric Flair was the best pure performer in the business, but he certainly deserves some superlatives.

It's amazing how much eye-popping talent came out of Minnesota and/or the AWA: Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Rick Rude, Curt Hennig, Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff, and of course Hogan, to name a few. I was thinking the other day about ECW and the notion of a "Big Three" in the '90s: how would a third promotion have fared if it had been based in the Midwest instead of Philadelphia? The WWF owned the Northeast and WCW owned the Southeast, but our neck of the woods was kind of divided between the two.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
He was a huge deal in the AWA and a couple of the territories and would wrestle fairly often, and when he did, he would take absurd levels of punishment: enough to screw up his neck and eventually ask Brian Pillman what the fuck he was doing on live TV.

"Greatest talent in wrestling history" is tough to reckon with because you look at how Hogan and the Rock transcended the show-business ghetto of professional wrestling, or how Ric Flair was the best pure performer in the business, but he certainly deserves some superlatives.

It's amazing how much eye-popping talent came out of Minnesota and/or the AWA: Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Rick Rude, Curt Hennig, Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff, and of course Hogan, to name a few. I was thinking the other day about ECW and the notion of a "Big Three" in the '90s: how would a third promotion have fared if it had been based in the Midwest instead of Philadelphia? The WWF owned the Northeast and WCW owned the Southeast, but our neck of the woods was kind of divided between the two.

I think it's meant to show how great he was as an in-ring performer, manager, and announcer. He excelled at all three areas, which is an accomplishment few, if any, achieved.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
He excelled at all three areas, which is an accomplishment few, if any, achieved.

Has anyone else excelled in all three?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:

Hennig was one of the best wrestlers of all time, a manager, and an announcer, but I'd hardly say he excelled at broadcasting. Guess he wasn't perfect after all.

Paul Heyman was an elite announcer and manager but had no in-ring career.

Jerry Lawler is kind of a poor man's southern Bobby Heenan. Probably the closest comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
RFDC wrote:

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=1484&bild=1&details=11

Seems plausible ... here's the page for January 1976: http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bilanzen&wrestler=1484&jahr=1976&monat=1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
He excelled at all three areas, which is an accomplishment few, if any, achieved.

Lawler & Ventura in the wrestling & announcing area, but was never a manager

Freddie Blassie as a wrestler & manager

Flair- great wrestler, only a short time as a manager

Vince did all three, but he was only above-average in the manager (or second) area.

So the answer is probably no

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
RFDC wrote:

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=1484&bild=1&details=11

Seems plausible ... here's the page for January 1976: http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bilanzen&wrestler=1484&jahr=1976&monat=1

Good stuff, thanks.

So it seems JR was correct then.

Frank Coztansa wrote: