It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WYCC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It goes off the air next month as the City Colleges gave up channel 20 in the FCC auction and don't plan to continue it as a subchannel of 11 or a cable-only channel. Hard to say it affects any of our lives but it's strange that we're watching over-the-air television channels just disappear as technology marches on.

Post subject: Re: WYCC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Curious Hair wrote:
It goes off the air next month as the City Colleges gave up channel 20 in the FCC auction and don't plan to continue it as a subchannel of 11 or a cable-only channel. Hard to say it affects any of our lives but it's strange that we're watching over-the-air television channels just disappear as technology marches on.

And Toys R Us is going away too. I guess our classic merchandise distribution streams just disappear as technology marches on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:

That's really too bad. They sometimes had decent programs on, particularly older programs WTTW stopped running. You can find most of that stuff on Youtube, but not all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am 

tommy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's really too bad. They sometimes had decent programs on, particularly older programs WTTW stopped running. You can find most of that stuff on Youtube, but not all of it.

I can't begin to count the number of times I was sitting around bored and suddenly was stuck watching Austin City Limits and whatever followed it next. And suddenly Ch. 20 was in that night's rotation.

I had no idea that Jerry Springer & Steve Wilkos' shows were still on until I heard a commercial last night, but another PBS station bites the dust. Sad!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I watch "This Old House" on that station :( :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
This is distressing. Their pledge drive programming was top notch--so much better than the endless crackpot doctors & Suze Orman on Ch. 11.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm 

Beaming to you live from Ford City U.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:35 pm 

DannyB wrote:
This is distressing. Their pledge drive programming was top notch--so much better than the endless crackpot doctors & Suze Orman on Ch. 11.

The one time they had John Cleese on Channel 11 was pretty great, though.

"Hello, you're watching WWTW Chicago. Would you like to come back to my place?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:43 pm 

Now that's a get. They must have had to shoehorn him into Ron Onesti's 18 hour shift to get him on.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Now that's a get. They must have had to shoehorn him into Ron Onesti's 18 hour shift to get him on.

They did have the band Asia (or perhaps it was Air Supply) on once. That little Chinese lady helming the pledge drive was "excited" to have these "legends" in the studio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:
DannyB wrote:

They did have the band Asia (or perhaps it was Air Supply) on once. That little Chinese lady helming the pledge drive was "excited" to have these "legends" in the studio.

That line up brings me back to riding around in my folks Oldsmobile wagon. Or maybe they chevy before it was wrecked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Quote:
On the brink of signing off after 34 years as Chicago’s “other” public TV station, WYCC-Ch.20 may have found a way to stay on the air.

The PBS affiliate, which is owned by City Colleges of Chicago, said Friday that it is exploring a deal to share a channel with WTTW-Ch. 11, allowing it to continue broadcasting after agreeing to vacate its own frequency in a Federal Communications Commission spectrum auction.

“CCC was recently approached by WTTW, a Chicago PBS affiliate, about the possibility of entering a channel-sharing agreement,” Katheryn Hayes, a City Colleges spokeswoman said. “CCC is exploring this opportunity, which will need to be approved by its board of trustees.”

Julia Maish, a WTTW spokeswoman, confirmed Friday that the stations are in discussions, but said “there are no firm agreements yet.”

WYCC received $15.9 million in the auction, which shifted a chunk of the broadcast airwaves for wireless mobile use. It was one of six Chicago-area TV stations, including Fox-owned WPWR-Ch. 50, NBC's Telemundo outlet WSNS-Ch. 44 and Univision’s WXFT-Ch.60, to sell their broadcast frequencies.

The “winning” stations had the option to channel share with another TV station or go off the air, with Jan. 23 the deadline for those pulling the plug.

WYCC sent a letter to members Sept. 13 informing them the station would be going off the air for good next month.

“The letter said we were going to cease broadcasting services as of Oct. 25,” Hayes said. “We will be following up with a new letter.”

Launched in 1983 with a dormant UHF license acquired by City Colleges, WYCC offered television courses to students and a public broadcasting alternative to the much larger WTTW. In addition to airing PBS content, WYCC produces local programming, such as “In The Loop,” a weekly public affairs show that launched in 2013.

WYCC had a staff of 26 and an annual budget of nearly $8.2 million last year, according to public filings, with City Colleges providing more than $5.7 million of the funding. Grants from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the state of Illinois and private donors were also part of the station’s nonoperating revenue, but it still lost nearly $732,000 last year.

Nationwide, 175 broadcasters sold their licensed frequencies, freeing up 70 megahertz of spectrum and netting just over $10 billion. That includes 30 stations that agreed upfront to switch from UHF to VHF frequencies, according to FCC spokesman Charlie Meisch.

Of the remaining 145 stations, 30 have filed an application with the FCC to implement a channel-sharing agreement, while 20 channels have committed to going dark, Meisch said Wednesday. The rest will have to pick a lane in the coming months.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm 

DannyB wrote:

Actually WTTW is right now playing a show by a Pink Floyd cover band called Brit Floyd and they are astoundingly good. The highly skilled cover band is a very odd phenomenon.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
DannyB wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Actually WTTW is right now playing a show by a Pink Floyd cover band called Brit Floyd and they are astoundingly good. The highly skilled cover band is a very odd phenomenon.

There have been quite a few very good to great ones around here lately. I have seen some and had all of the fun for little cost. Like between free and $20.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
DannyB wrote:

That line up brings me back to riding around in my folks Oldsmobile wagon. Or maybe they chevy before it was wrecked.

Oh Jesus.

My dad had a Mercury Colony Park wagon, replete with the fake wood sides. He never understood why I always chose my mom's Mercury Lynx when I needed a car to roll out.

There's only one reason for those old boats, but the faux wood was shameful

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
That Oldsmobile had some sweet wood paneling and maroon pleather seats Reader. My mom wrecked it when she was hit by a window truck on The Kennedy in 88. The Chevy was yellow. That had to be a sight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm 

DannyB wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Speaking of cover bands, not sure if this can be topped, ever. This guy's a generational talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5Xo1Tkh4U

"Smiles with Nostrils"