It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retail Stores
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 am 

I didn't buy a single Christmas gift in a store this year. Why do they even try to survive?

Post subject: Re: Retail Stores
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
I own a small retail store that sells havc parts to the public, even in a niche market like mine where I have very little brick and motor competition, it doesn't make sense to sell retail. The prices that people can get things for online is about the same price that I pay. So I usually get complaints about prices being too high, as an online shopper myself, I get it. Luckily I also own a small hvac service company, so I am transitioning out of retail completely. When I tell my retail customers this, every single one of them understands why, except for the older folks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I didn't buy a single Christmas gift in a store this year. Why do they even try to survive?

And one day you will be paying with Bitcoin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
They still have a place because MANY are more willing to buy if they can touch it.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Bookstores are awesome. Record stores used to be cool when they existed.

Thank you, fat lazy humans, for killing them off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 am 
100000 CLUB

There are still MANY things that most folks won't buy without being able to touch it or see it in person.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
They still have a place because MANY are more willing to buy if they can touch it.

I am sorta in this boat, as well as reviews. I feel like this bubble will burst a little at some point. I think people are going to want things instantaneously, I get Amazon is working on that but you still have returns and a new product if it is not correct. I really think in 5-10 years people are going to miss customer service and actually touching and seeing the product in person.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Between this and suburban living , Rick has carved out his own little slice of paradise

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Nas wrote:

There are certain items that I am this way about but with having to travel as far as I do for most retail it is getting to the point I look more and more on line for things. If I was better about returning things that weren't what I expected I would probably be more likely to do all my shopping on line for purchases under a certain amount.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
There are still MANY things that most folks won't buy without being able to touch it or see it in person.

That may be true for you and me. But you're the guy who always like to say it isn't 1956. I'm sure your kids might say, "Dad, it's not 1998" regarding this subject. There will eventually be an entire generation who buys nearly everything online. Maybe there will be a showroom for those who want to see the product.

My wife uses Stitchfix. She sends back the shit she doesn't like. That seems like a hassle to me, but she thinks nothing of it. In fact, she finds it convenient. I suspect that paradigm will prevail.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Prime has erased any reservations I have about having to return anything. It could not be more convenient. The immediacy issue still is there but more often than not that probably stops my impulse buying. Or at least tames it.

A woman I know just bout an Audi online for chrissakes. Carvana. I guess she really knew what she wanted, researched it or maybe did the test drive somewhere but said fuck a real dealer.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That may be true for you and me. But you're the guy who always like to say it isn't 1956. I'm sure your kids might say, "Dad, it's not 1998" regarding this subject. There will eventually be an entire generation who buys nearly everything online. Maybe there will be a showroom for those who want to see the product.

My wife uses Stitchfix. She sends back the shit she doesn't like. That seems like a hassle to me, but she thinks nothing of it. In fact, she finds it convenient. I suspect that paradigm will prevail.

I'm not necessarily RESISTANT to the shift but I imagine even my kids want to touch some things before making a purchase. Also the idea of a handful of businesses controlling the retail market is scarier than a handful of businesses controlling media. Where is the Millennial Theodore Roosevelt?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 am 

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm not necessarily RESISTANT to the shift but I imagine even my kids want to touch some things before making a purchase. Also the idea of a handful of businesses controlling the retail market is scarier than a handful of businesses controlling media. Where is the Millennial Theodore Roosevelt?

You should be resistant. It's the final transformation from person into consumer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I agree with that 100%. The new "countries" may be Amazon and Alibaba.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
Prime has erased any reservations I have about having to return anything. It could not be more convenient. The immediacy issue still is there but more often than not that probably stops my impulse buying. Or at least tames it.

A woman I know just bout an Audi online for chrissakes. Carvana. I guess she really knew what she wanted, researched it or maybe did the test drive somewhere but said fuck a real dealer.

Did she go to a dealership and test drive or see the car?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I agree with that 100%. The new "countries" may be Amazon and Alibaba.

and whomever socially rates people for China

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
While I physically picked up my last 4 car purchases from dealers, I essentially bought them on-line. After test driving and figuring out what I wanted, there are various sites that will email dealers on your behalf. You then play them off each other, forwarding the offers around until you get to the best offer. All dealers now have an on-line sales department.

When I walk into the dealer, all that is left is to sign the paperwork and drive out. The last sales guy told me that they make a lot less on Internet buyers, but the transaction is faster so their cost of sales is lower. And the Internet buyers generally have better credit.

But, I recently bought a TV, and at this point, I still want to see the TV "live and in person" prior to purchasing. As they standardize picture quality (e.g. all 4k's are great), this will become a commodity purchase as well. Back in the day, I would only buy Sony Trinitrons, but I just bought an "Element" for the basement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Did she go to a dealership and test drive or see the car?

Not sure? I hope so. Either way times are going to change eventually. Many people despise going to the car dealer.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My Dad told me recently he hasn't test driven a car in 20 odd years. He just says this is what I'm going to buy after doing research and calls around or now uses email to get his deal.I thought that was bizarre. That being said, unless something is glaringly obvious when I get into a car, a single test drive isn't going to tell me jack shit about the car that online reviews won't tell me as far as acceleration and agility. But I still test drive because well, thats half the fun of buying a car.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am 

Nas wrote:

I just bought a memory foam mattress online for 1/8 of the price I would have had to pay at a retail store. Not only was the retail store more expensive, but the quality was poor from all the reviews of their brands. Unless you paid an extra premium for Temper Pedic, you where getting a shitty mattress for premium prices.

Very happy with the bed, even though I wasn't able to touch it or see it. The reviews answered all my questions and I have no complaints.

What are the MANY things you are talking about that people need to touch before they buy? People are even buying cars online without test driving them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:16 am 
100000 CLUB

Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:

I just bought a memory foam mattress online for 1/8 of the price I would have had to pay at a retail store. Not only was the retail store more expensive, but the quality was poor from all the reviews of their brands. Unless you paid an extra premium for Temper Pedic, you where getting a shitty mattress for premium prices.

Very happy with the bed, even though I wasn't able to touch it or see it. The reviews answered all my questions and I have no complaints.

What are the MANY things you are talking about that people need to touch before they buy? People are even buying cars online without test driving them anymore.

Are you happy because it's truly a superior mattress for an 1/8 of the cost? I've learned that folks are happy when they believe they've discovered or negotiated a great deal and those people will defend that purchase with everything they have. I guess that's what online shopping does. It provides MANY with a psychological orgasm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Nas wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:

Are you happy because it's truly a superior mattress for an 1/8 of the cost? I've learned that folks are happy when they believe they've discovered or negotiated a great deal and those people will defend that purchase with everything they have. I guess that's what online shopping does. It provides MANY with a psychological orgasm.

I'm on an online mattress for 18 months now, still fantastic. Last bed from a store was easily twice the price and it hurt my back after 6 months.

Any more I'll go to great lengths to avoid someone trying to sell me something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 am 

Nas wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:

The online mattress retailers are getting great independent reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Are they the mattress in a box/shrink wrapped ones? We have to get one but haven't been able to pull the trigger. What brand is a good one, if you guys don't mind sharing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Anyone tried Binny's home delivery? If that shit works well I may never have to leave the house again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Spaulding wrote:
Are they the mattress in a box/shrink wrapped ones? We have to get one but haven't been able to pull the trigger. What brand is a good one, if you guys don't mind sharing?

This is what we bought https://www.brooklynbedding.com/product ... ress-ever/

Came in a compressed cardboard box, cut the tape and stand back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
tommy wrote:

Bookstores WERE awesome. I can't find hardly any anymore. Use to love going to a bookstore after dinner and just browsing. It was a great place to wind down after a long day. No more now.

Record stores too. Liked talking music with people in the stores and the workers. Or getting recommendations. JORR probably remembers Musicland.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 am 
100000 CLUB

HawaiiYou wrote:
tommy wrote:

Bookstores WERE awesome. I can't find hardly any anymore. Use to love going to a bookstore after dinner and just browsing. It was a great place to wind down after a long day. No more now.

Record stores too. Liked talking music with people in the stores and the workers. Or getting recommendations. JORR probably remembers Musicland.

Coops Records on 87th and Stony was my spot as a kid until about 23 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
tommy wrote:

I've felt guilty the last two times I bought books on Amazon. I used to be a guy who looked forward to a Saturday afternoon in book stores on 57th St every other weekend.

Haven't been in one this year. But I've been thinking about it since I passed the Barnes and noble sign on Touhy yesterday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am 

Nas wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
tommy wrote:

Coops Records on 87th and Stony was my spot as a kid until about 23 years old.

And then you hit what, Pee Wee's or Taurus next? Good times :D