It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grizzly Jack's Resort
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Four-alarm fire out there. Leonore sent their fire department out to help respond, so of course a house went up in Leonore. Not sure who is responding to that.

I guess things are bad enough that they've called in departments from relatively long distances such as Paw Paw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Place was barely making it. Most likely inside job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Caller Bob wrote:

Greek lightning?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
C_Howitt_Burns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Caller Bob wrote:

Things were really starting to slide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Four-alarm fire out there. Leonore sent their fire department out to help respond, so of course a house went up in Leonore. Not sure who is responding to that.

Maybe Triumph and Waltham sent the TWAT truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Things were really starting to slide.

Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
From https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/grand- ... a-llinois/

Article is not very clear on on how far it is from Chicago... :scratch: :scratch:

Quote:
UTICA, Ill. -- Multiple fire departments responded Tuesday to a blaze at a northern Illinois resort near Starved Rock State Park early Tuesday. Utica Fire Chief Ben Brown said an alarm sounded at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort at 5:30 a.m.

Firefighters spent several hours in the bitter cold Tuesday morning, working to extinguish an extra-alarm blaze at a resort and indoor water park in Utica, about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. Firefighters spent several hours in the bitter cold Tuesday morning, working to extinguish an extra-alarm blaze at a resort and indoor water park in Utica, about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. Chief of Staff Edward Rogers said all guests were safely evacuated and the fire was under control by 8:30 a.m,but remained on the scene long after to make sure it didn't spark up again. Officials said no one was injured.

LaSalle County sheriff's officials said the fire was in the main lodge and pool area at the resort in Utica, which is about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. One mother who was staying at the resort said the fire alarms woke her up, and at first she thought kids had pulled it as a prank.

"Then when I went in the hallway, that's when I saw that there was flames in the pool," she said.

Utica's fire command requested salt trucks because of ice at the scene, where the temperature Tuesday hovered around minus 11 degrees. Several nearby municipalities sent fire trucks to help with the extra-alarm blaze, including LaSalle, Peru and Ottawa.

As firefighters battled wind chills around 25 below zero, confused guests had to evacuate the building and keep warm in their cars. Several sought refuge in Starved Rock Lodge, about a mile and a half away.

"There was a window to the water park, and we could see through the window the water park looked like maybe a gas heater had caught on fire in the wall, and there was flames coming from it, and a lot of smoke," one guest said.

The cause of the blaze is under investigation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Quote:
UTICA, Ill. -- Several sought refuge in Starved Rock Lodge, about a mile and a half away, which is about 88.5 miles southwest of Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
a genius wrote:
From https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/grand- ... a-llinois/

Article is not very clear on on how far it is from Chicago... :scratch: :scratch:

Quote:
UTICA, Ill. -- Multiple fire departments responded Tuesday to a blaze at a northern Illinois resort near Starved Rock State Park early Tuesday. Utica Fire Chief Ben Brown said an alarm sounded at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort at 5:30 a.m.

Firefighters spent several hours in the bitter cold Tuesday morning, working to extinguish an extra-alarm blaze at a resort and indoor water park in Utica, about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. Firefighters spent several hours in the bitter cold Tuesday morning, working to extinguish an extra-alarm blaze at a resort and indoor water park in Utica, about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. Chief of Staff Edward Rogers said all guests were safely evacuated and the fire was under control by 8:30 a.m,but remained on the scene long after to make sure it didn't spark up again. Officials said no one was injured.

LaSalle County sheriff's officials said the fire was in the main lodge and pool area at the resort in Utica, which is about 90 miles southwest of Chicago. One mother who was staying at the resort said the fire alarms woke her up, and at first she thought kids had pulled it as a prank.

"Then when I went in the hallway, that's when I saw that there was flames in the pool," she said.

Utica's fire command requested salt trucks because of ice at the scene, where the temperature Tuesday hovered around minus 11 degrees. Several nearby municipalities sent fire trucks to help with the extra-alarm blaze, including LaSalle, Peru and Ottawa.

As firefighters battled wind chills around 25 below zero, confused guests had to evacuate the building and keep warm in their cars. Several sought refuge in Starved Rock Lodge, about a mile and a half away.

"There was a window to the water park, and we could see through the window the water park looked like maybe a gas heater had caught on fire in the wall, and there was flames coming from it, and a lot of smoke," one guest said.

The cause of the blaze is under investigation.

Smell you have to establish the local connection. I think I was there like 6 years ago maybe. It was pretty fun down from the previous time and had heard it’s been in steady decline.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
We used to do a weekend December getaway there every year. 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

It was an amazing place - just an hour away, indoor waterpark and an indoor amusement park - really lived up to the billing.

Shit, the first year, they even brought in a baby lion from a local zoo that you could feed, pet, and take pictures with.

Every year after the first, though, we kept seeing things missing that were there before. No lion, rides were gone, replaced by cheap "Green-friendly" rides (that's what they called climbing ropes, etc.), the next year, another ride gone, and the next, something else.

My wife was saying that the new management shut down the indoor amusement park entirely this past year.

Finally, we just started going to Wilderness at the Dells, and we have never looked back.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Panther pislA wrote:
We used to do a weekend December getaway there every year. 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

It was an amazing place - just an hour away, indoor waterpark and an indoor amusement park - really lived up to the billing.

Shit, the first year, they even brought in a baby lion from a local zoo that you could feed, pet, and take pictures with.

Every year after the first, though, we kept seeing things missing that were there before. No lion, rides were gone, replaced by cheap "Green-friendly" rides (that's what they called climbing ropes, etc.), the next year, another ride gone, and the next, something else.

My wife was saying that the new management shut down the indoor amusement park entirely this past year.

Finally, we just started going to Wilderness at the Dells, and we have never looked back.

Similar experiences. Early on, they used well water for the water park, so the whole thing smelled sulfuric. But, the kids were fine with it and it was close. They had a cool “train” to take you to the larger cabins in the back. But, about 5 years ago we thought we had a bed bug incident, so we’ve never been back. Could have just been mosquitoes, but that was when the bed bug thing was big news.

I have a friend who invested in a unit there, he indicated to me a couple of years ago that it had not gone well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Heisenberg wrote:

I have a friend who invested in a unit there, he indicated to me a couple of years ago that it had not gone well.

Indeed. I looked at a foreclosed unit there that originally sold for almost $400K, and the bank ended up dumping it for about 15 cents on the dollar. Wow.

I apologize to The Hawk