It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Milt Rosenberg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I found a show about linguistics, another about Yiddish, don't know the dates on either, and one where it's Milt, Kaplan, John Williams, and Garry talking shop about WGN from 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
I found a show about linguistics, another about Yiddish, don't know the dates on either, and one where it's Milt, Kaplan, John Williams, and Garry talking shop about WGN from 2011.

I listened to one recently where Garry brought Milt back about a year after they launched him to talk about the Kennedy assassination. Probably 2013 for the 50-year.

I didn't like it. I appreciate that Garry did it but it didn't seem right for him to be the guest and not driving. I think that's still on the website - one of the few.

I did listen when Milt went to the high-1000s AM for some local show after he left WGN. He still got some pretty good guests but it wasn't the same. I loved Milt but he lost his fastball toward the end but the guy was well into his 80s so I cut him some slack. He still flashed his moments like Payton in '86.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:

That particular show was one of my favorites if for no other reason than their shared contempt for the man Howard Stern once named "pig virus" (who also recently died a few years back)

They were all giving John Williams grief for the fact that after he left WGN, he ended up going to the Minneapolis station where Williams also worked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm 

As I recall, Langmyer, who really seems to be a rare good guy in radio, set Williams up with the part-time gig at WCCO with the expectation that Pig Virus (rest in disturbance) was going to fire him, and sure enough, he did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Quick hit from Feder laying out WGN's upcoming broadcast honoring Milt.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/01/11/robservations-wgn-salute-milt-rosenbergs-lasting-impact/

WGN AM 720 will celebrate the life and legacy of talk show host Milt Rosenberg, starting at 8 p.m. tonight. Hosted by Justin Kaufmann, the special broadcast will include tributes from Lorna Gladstone, former program director of the Tribune Broadcasting news/talk station, Bruce DuMont, first producer of Rosenberg’s “Extension 720,” and Joe Morris, Rosenberg’s close friend and frequent guest, among others. “The show will be filled with classic interviews and conversation about his lasting impact on Chicago and American radio,” said Todd Manley, station manager and vice president of content and programming at WGN. Rosenberg, who was pushed out of WGN after 39 years in 2012, died Tuesday at 92.

Quick hits from Pat Hughes kissing the Mitch Rosen ring and Zaidman quotes, which are more appropriate for another thread, but beni is lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 pm 

The tribute was last night. WGN has it up on their site here. It's a great listen

http://wgnradio.com/2018/01/11/the-down ... rosenberg/

It sucks that there will never be another Milt Rosenberg.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
My Six Degrees of Milt Rosenberg story - one of the guests he had on from time-to-time was a guy that did impressions of Presidents from LBJ through Clinton including guys like Andy Rooney and Larry King.

That guy, I forget his name, was the feature on the biggest TV show I did when I worked for PBS. He did a show call An Evening With the Presidents that went out to 48 states via PBS. I think I got 3rd billing on the credits as Technical Director.

The show also featured local radio celebrity, Stevie Jay!

It was the last job I did for the station. I left on a Costanza high note.

EDIT - Just looked it up. The guy's name was Bill Mellberg. Looks like he did a lot of radio work at WGN and elsewhere. I guess he died last year. He was only 65. I'd have guessed he was much older. I thought he was about that in the early '90s. RIP. Nice guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I hate to be that guy . . . but didn't you just always wanna tell Ol' Milt to clear his throat once in a while? Or spit out whatever was in his mouth? He had a weird sound to him, like he was just about to spit as soon as he finished the next sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm 

tommy wrote:
I hate to be that guy . . . but didn't you just always wanna tell Ol' Milt to clear his throat once in a while? Or spit out whatever was in his mouth? He had a weird sound to him, like he was just about to spit as soon as he finished the next sentence.

That came more with age. If you listen to some of his older shows (ones before my time) he really had a great radio voice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
The BBC puts out a pretty similar show once a week that has been running for 20 years. It's all archived so I've heard every episode in podcast form. The guy who hosts is basically the English Milt Rosenberg, even down to the throat clearing. It's a great show that I'd recommend to everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
tommy wrote:

Finally, the backlash. Let's be honest--nobody aside from Milt's devoted friend is going back in the archives to listen to 20 year old episodes of his shows.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm 

DannyB wrote:
tommy wrote:

Finally, the backlash. Let's be honest--nobody aside from Milt's devoted friend is going back in the archives to listen to 20 year old episodes of his shows.

I used to do it all the time. They were great little time capsules and many of the authors doing books on historical figures or events were fairly timeless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm 

DAN: Talking to my media guy, (sigh)...I...I have to be careful how I word this. (sigh) It's not that WGN is happy that Milt Rosenberg died, but...there's a sense of...I want to say, almost a sense of relief that they can move on from one of its...its trappings, that there was this man walking around like Free Market Jesus with the fancy French mistress while people were hurting, and it's just that...all these things add up to this atavistic mentality that you can't change the station because it's timeless. Well, people aren't timeless, as we're finding out, and so now with Milt's death it'll be easier to...to make that break, I guess is how you could say it. I know they felt the same way when Wally Phillips died, and of course, the station is going to be publicly maudlin about what a great broadcaster he was -- and he was, his longevity bears that out if nothing else, I guess -- but...(sigh) in a lot of ways it's one fewer... "thing" to have to explain away all the time as they're trying to put a lighter, happier more inclusive and decidedly younger face on their brand.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm 

Every time that post mutates and burbles back to the surface, I'm happy. Is the original gone?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm 

DannyB wrote:
tommy wrote:

Backlashing is my contribution to this list.

#respectme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
tommy wrote:

That came more with age. If you listen to some of his older shows (ones before my time) he really had a great radio voice

Oh, he most certainly did....even though I'd be unconsciously clearing my throat in his later years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Every time that post mutates and burbles back to the surface, I'm happy. Is the original gone?

It's the GOAT. I'll never forget where I was when I first read it. So long as people die it shall live on in perpetuity.

"Smiles with Nostrils"