It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Oh damn, they've now resurrected the clueless hack Diane Swonk to add her usual brand of idiocy to the commentary

I always thought she was kind of cute in a pixieish way. She's getting up there. How does she look now?

I thought the same but then I saw her in person and she was much too thin for my tastes.

:lol: I thought the same thing about Maria Bartiromo at the height of the Money Hunny craze. Then I saw how gangly and frighteningly pasty she was in person as well

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Darkside wrote:
Presidents mean less to the stock market than a manager does to a baseball team.

That quite likely is true, although a president's actions can have effects. For example, Trump's deregulation and corporate tax cuts have undoubtedly bolstered the market and consumer confidence. But who knows what other forces are at play. The conventional wisdom is that today's drop is due to a combination of higher inflation and the possibility of rising interest rates, but it could just be that the wrong team won the Super Bowl.

In any case, the president has always gotten credit/blame for market performance on his watch. I don't see any reason to stop that simply because many people don't want to credit Trump for anything. Hoover almost certainly wasn't to blame for the Great Depression, but that didn't stop his name from becoming a synonym for homeless encampments.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Presidents mean less to the stock market than a manager does to a baseball team.

That quite likely is true, although a president's actions can have effects. For example, Trump's deregulation and corporate tax cuts have undoubtedly bolstered the market and consumer confidence. But who knows what other forces are at play. The conventional wisdom is that today's drop is due to a combination of higher inflation and the possibility of rising interest rates, but it could just be that the wrong team won the Super Bowl.

In any case, the president has always gotten credit/blame for market performance on his watch. I don't see any reason to stop that simply because many people don't want to credit Trump for anything. Hoover almost certainly wasn't to blame for the Great Depression, but that didn't stop his name from becoming a synonym for homeless encampments.

I agree with your last statement in terms of credit but I do think it’s funny how Obama was painted as being horrible for the economy and Trump is seen as being great for your 401K. The stock market soared, unemployment went down and there was record consecutive job growth under Obama but few would agree if you brought it up at a cocktail party. I guess it helps to sing your own praises.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Friday was the day that Obama's stock market became Trump's stock market. :lol:

Trump has owned the market for a while. It was clear that his presence was primarily responsible for the jump. Of course he won't take credit for the correction.

I disagree with the notion that his presence was primarily responsible for the jump. The market has risen steadily for the last 9 years. I also don’t blame him for the recent drop. It just doesn’t work that way.

That graphic seems to missing most of Trump's tenure...

The market was trending up steadily. The recent crazy ass rally was a result of Trump's business friendly moves.

So he was responsible for the 20+ insanity and this correction but long term the market will do what it was going to do regardless of who's President.

Imo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I agree with your last statement in terms of credit but I do think it’s funny how Obama was painted as being horrible for the economy and Trump is seen as being great for your 401K. The stock market soared, unemployment went down and there was record consecutive job growth under Obama but few would agree if you brought it up at a cocktail party. I guess it helps to sing your own praises.

Trump sells it better and nothing he says is seen as wrong to his disciples. Trumpets and LeBronites are the worst people to attempt to have a civil discussion with.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Here's an interesting fact I just read. I saw a chart with the grade level at which each president spoke from the 20th Century forward. Trump was the lowest at a fourth grade level. Hoover was by far the highest at an 11th grade level. (Obama and Nixon were next at 9th grade.) I think it's pretty likely that people were enraged at what they saw as the pompous speech of Hoover and the opposite is probably true for Trump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

We now pick presidents based on who we would rather have a drink with. That's been true my entire lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Here's an interesting fact I just read. I saw a chart with the grade level at which each president spoke from the 20th Century forward. Trump was the lowest at a fourth grade level. Hoover was by far the highest at an 11th grade level. (Obama and Nixon were next at 9th grade.) I think it's pretty likely that people were enraged at what they saw as the pompous speech of Hoover and the opposite is probably true for Trump.

My .sig would seem to agree with that assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
We now pick presidents based on who we would rather have a drink with. That's been true my entire lifetime.

That's the late night TVing of the presidency. It started when Bill Clinton played his taxophone on Arsenio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's the late night TVing of the presidency. It started when Bill Clinton played his taxophone on Arsenio.

Or when Dukakis cucked up the rape question.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Happy talk with Uncle Ronnie is forgotten by you now gramps? :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Happy talk with Uncle Ronnie is forgotten by you now gramps? :P

:lol: I don't remember Reagan doing much of that type of thing, but Nixon did go on Laugh-In.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Hoover was the Tall Midget of Presidents. Trump is the Beardown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Futures currently down another 600...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Futures currently down another 600...

Welp that's better than the -1000 I saw earlier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Go big or go home. He's got the best collapses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Yesterday was a very healthy correction to some very overvalued sectors. Keep your positions strong people and make firm, non-emotional decisions today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:48 am 

Nas wrote:

Trump doesn't drink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Trump doesn't drink.

Cocaine is a helluva drug, or so I've heard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Trump doesn't drink.

Cocaine is a helluva drug, or so I've heard.

Never met a person who has a nose issue that hasn't/doesn't use coke.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Caller Bob wrote:
Yesterday was a very healthy correction to some very overvalued sectors. Keep your positions strong people and make firm, non-emotional decisions today.

Market about to close +500 so.....YUP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Trump resurrected the economy!

IT'S A MIRACLE!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Trump resurrected the economy!

IT'S A MIRACLE!

It's now Show-Friends Peeps, it's Show-Business. Getting paid $$$$. BuissszzNAS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm 

Welp there's another -1000 point/4% haircut today. Republican budget/loony-lying executive branch impact?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
Welp there's another -1000 point/4% haircut today. Republican budget/loony-lying executive branch impact?

What?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm 

The market was still very over bloated. All of this is natural and probably good. Heed the storm by staying true to your core principles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
:lol: American workers are now being paid "too much" so the market tanks and RR goes full "DRUMPFT HATES THE ECONOMY? LIAR IN CHEEF I S'POSE".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I voted for the guy, but he had nothing to do with the economy, really. For manufacturing, which I'm in, things have been headed downhill since 2002. He did nothing to stop that slide, but really, what could he do. Many idiots voted for Trump because they're out of work, or think they're underpaid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm 

America wrote:
:lol: American workers are now being paid "too much" so the market tanks and RR goes full "DRUMPFT HATES THE ECONOMY? LIAR IN CHEEF I S'POSE".

Denisdman, others and I had a reasoned discussion about the equity markets being wildly over valued months ago. And a laugh at the double talk b.s. coming from financial reporters. But I'm certain it seems to have blown past your croissant tray.

But it seems to me that MANY have suddenly awakened to the septic tank that is currently posing as leadership and found no real fundamentals behind the run up of the last 6-8 months. And no long term planning being offered, even from the sideline guys chirping from the foreign cheap seats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
There's still some froth in the market to shed. We just want slow, sustained growth until 2040, when we cash out our 401ks before the student loan bubble bursts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next