It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 74  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:59 pm 

Well it's not just that there's less people that are willing to do manual labor. It's also companies and customers unwilling to pay a decent amount for that work.

You offer $75k a year for a basic skilled Carpenter and they wouldn't have trouble finding guys. You do it for shitty software programmers, but for a guy swinging a hammer yea he's just an idiot fuck him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Starting pay for truck drivers is $60K if you can pass a drug test.

Being a truck driver is an early death sentence. You are constantly sleep deprived and under stress. Both are hard on the heart and contribute to high BP.

And if you're over 50 as a laborer in the construction industry, you're obsolete. You're only option then is to go work at Home Depot.

Like I said, high quality, high pay jobs are not being created.

You're clueless. There are plenty of decent paying jobs out there if you are willing to take the training.

Nah, it's much more fun to sit back and bitch about the "awful" economy during a time of economic prosperity

Peter Schiff says Americans are broke. Hard for these to be prosperous times when that statement is true.

https://www.prisonplanet.com/peter-schi ... broke.html

The podcast is worth listening to. He notes retail sales were down for the third straight month in Feb., something that hasn't happened in six years! I think this is the main reason the market is tanking, more so than over any fears over a trade war with China. So you have the economy weakening, while the Fed is hiking. But the market is waking up to the prospect this may be the last hike and that the Fed is over-promising on rates (mainly to keep the dollar afloat), when it says that risks are neutral. Therefore, the economy is in worse shape that the Fed is leading us to believe. No wonder gold futures were up another $20 on Friday, building on Thursday's gains. Gold is very close to breaking out big to the upside.

Last week was historically bad for stocks, with the DJIA losing 1,500 pts. I would say that is a harbinger. This is a "Margin Call" like situation now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:
Well it's not just that there's less people that are willing to do manual labor. It's also companies and customers unwilling to pay a decent amount for that work.

You offer $75k a year for a basic skilled Carpenter and they wouldn't have trouble finding guys. You do it for shitty software programmers, but for a guy swinging a hammer yea he's just an idiot fuck him.

The difference is that the shitty software programmers still create value in the millions for businesses. Carpenters generally don't create that value.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Being a truck driver is an early death sentence. You are constantly sleep deprived and under stress. Both are hard on the heart and contribute to high BP.

And if you're over 50 as a laborer in the construction industry, you're obsolete. You're only option then is to go work at Home Depot.

You're clueless. There are plenty of decent paying jobs out there if you are willing to take the training.

Nah, it's much more fun to sit back and bitch about the "awful" economy during a time of economic prosperity

Peter Schiff says Americans are broke. Hard for these to be prosperous times when that statement is true.

The podcast is worth listening to. He notes retail sales were down for the third straight month in Feb., something that hasn't happened in six years! I think this is the main reason the market is tanking, more so than over any fears over a trade war with China. So you have the economy weakening, while the Fed is hiking. But the market is waking up to the prospect this may be the last hike and that the Fed is over-promising on rates (mainly to keep the dollar afloat), when it says that risks are neutral. Therefore, the economy is in worse shape that the Fed is leading us to believe. No wonder gold futures were up another $20 on Friday, building on Thursday's gains. Gold is very close to breaking out big to the upside.

Last week was historically bad for stocks, with the DJIA losing 1,500 pts. I would say that is a harbinger. This is a "Margin Call" like situation now.

Seriously, Peter Schiff gets it. The podcast is a must listen.

WERD UP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Real Estate is a better investment than precious metals or stocks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I sold eveything and put it all in barrel aged beer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Dignified Rube wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Seriously, Peter Schiff gets it. The podcast is a must listen.

WERD UP.

1: Prison Planet :lol: :lol: :lol:

2: Peter Schiff is a moron. He has been telling people to invest in gold since 2008. The people who followed his advice have lost money. Those of us who instead kept plugging away into mutual funds not only saw our stocks recover to pre-recession levels, but the funds were kept investing in on the way down (and the way up) have seen fantastic growth in those investments. The funds you bought at the bottom of the recession have now gone up about It should be noted that he certainly has a vested interest here as his company sells gold as an investment so he isn't giving advice for any reason other than to make a dime off of gullible people.

You can invest in gold if you want, but just remember you are investing in an asset class with a poor track record and one that reached a high 30 years or so ago, fell apart, and has never touched that high again. I'll stick with the investment class that has an 80+ year track record of 8% average annualized growth.

You put your retirement in gold. I'll put mine in VFIAX and we'll see which works out better, but I'd implore you to look into S&P 500 Index Funds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:28 am 

312player wrote:

I love the idea of real estate as an investment (especially if you're renting out properties for income) but it just isn't for me. Perhaps I will one day consider it, but for now I just like the passively managed index funds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
:lol: prison planet. Smh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:30 am 

We need a Dignified Rube vs Ogie W2 post war.

Let's get it on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
312player wrote:

I love the idea of real estate as an investment (especially if you're renting out properties for income) but it just isn't for me. Perhaps I will one day consider it, but for now I just like the passively managed index funds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

2: Peter Schiff is a moron. He has been telling people to invest in gold since 2008. The people who followed his advice have lost money. Those of us who instead kept plugging away into mutual funds not only saw our stocks recover to pre-recession levels, but the funds were kept investing in on the way down (and the way up) have seen fantastic growth in those investments. The funds you bought at the bottom of the recession have now gone up about It should be noted that he certainly has a vested interest here as his company sells gold as an investment so he isn't giving advice for any reason other than to make a dime off of gullible people.

You can invest in gold if you want, but just remember you are investing in an asset class with a poor track record and one that reached a high 30 years or so ago, fell apart, and has never touched that high again. I'll stick with the investment class that has an 80+ year track record of 8% average annualized growth.

You put your retirement in gold. I'll put mine in VFIAX and we'll see which works out better, but I'd implore you to look into S&P 500 Index Funds

Firstly, I'm not saying that Schiff has been right about everything in his career. But, objectively, I can't disagree with anything he said in the Podcast. It's all true. That hardly makes him a moron or any other name you'd like to call him, because you can't address. much less refute anything he said.

Secondly, if you continue to hold stocks here, you're going to get killed. Stocks looked pretty good before the '87 crash, too, or the before the dot com bubble burst. Valuations have been artificially too high for too long due to easy money. Don't say I didn't warn you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:00 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Firstly, I'm not saying that Schiff has been right about everything in his career. But, objectively, I can't disagree with anything he said in the Podcast. It's all true. That hardly makes him a moron or any other name you'd like to call him, because you can't address. much less refute anything he said.

Secondly, if you continue to hold stocks here, you're going to get killed. Stocks looked pretty good before the '87 crash, too, or the before the dot com bubble burst. Valuations have been too high for too long due to easy money. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Yes stocks looked good before the crashes, and they looked good after them. Do you know how much money a retirement investor lost if they held their stocks? $0 You don't lose money on the market until you sell and history has proven that every index fund investor who held onto their assets has made money. In fact, you take advantage of the crashes to increase the % you are buying so that you get some discounts and enjoy the ride up on the recovery.

I call Peter Schiff a moron because he is quite literally a moron. He has been screaming for a decade that we are facing imminent economic collapse (we have seen 9 years of consistent growth). He literally told people to sell their investments at the bottom of the market and to put them into gold. This was horrible advice for anyone. Those who rode out the recession saw a recovery that has quadrupled from the bottom of the market. Had they bought gold at that time, they would've missed the market rise and instead put their money into an asset that didn't even keep up with inflation.

As I've said, buy gold if you want, but I hope you aren't relying on that as an investment vehicle for retirement as it won't be pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Secondly, if you continue to hold stocks here, you're going to get killed. Stocks looked pretty good before the '87 crash, too, or the before the dot com bubble burst. Valuations have been too high for too long due to easy money. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Yes stocks looked good before the crashes, and they looked good after them. Do you know how much money a retirement investor lost if they held their stocks? $0 You don't lose money on the market until you sell and history has proven that every index fund investor who held onto their assets has made money. In fact, you take advantage of the crashes to increase the % you are buying so that you get some discounts and enjoy the ride up on the recovery.

I call Peter Schiff a moron because he is quite literally a moron. He has been screaming for a decade that we are facing imminent economic collapse (we have seen 9 years of consistent growth). He literally told people to sell their investments at the bottom of the market and to put them into gold. This was horrible advice for anyone. Those who rode out the recession saw a recovery that has quadrupled from the bottom of the market. Had they bought gold at that time, they would've missed the market rise and instead put their money into an asset that didn't even keep up with inflation.

As I've said, buy gold if you want, but I hope you aren't relying on that as an investment vehicle for retirement as it won't be pretty.

Ogie, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-co ... 2018-03-08

"J.P. Morgan isn’t the only investment house that has issued correction warnings lately. Fellow Wall Street bank Goldman Sachs GS, -2.91% said a spike in 10-year U.S. Treasury yields TMUBMUSD10Y, +0.00% could cause a 20% to 25% drop in stock prices by the end of the year, while Scott Minerd, global chief investment officer at Guggenheim Partners, warned that the current market mood is similar to 1987, when the market crashed."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

and if the market corrects, it would be temporary (it always is). The markets have long win streaks, followed by short, but sudden pullbacks. However once it reaches its bottom, it rebounds and always finds a long streak of gains during which it surpasses its previous peak and sets a new one. When i say the market returns 8% per year, this doesn't mean it always goes up 8% each year. It means that when you average all of the years together (bear markets and bull markets) the average result will always fall upon that 8% mark. In fact a pullback wouldn't be bad for me right now as I'm young and I'd get some cheaper shares of VFIAX, which would then have 30-35 years to grow before I hit retirement.

When we are looking at the market as a vehicle for retirement investing, then the short term is absolutely meaningless. I am 30 years old, what I care about is where it will be in 2050. I don't care where it will be in 2020. When we get closer to my targeted retirement age, I will transition into bonds to avoid the volatility, but volatility means nothing to me while I'm looking out at the long run to build my nest-egg to retirement age.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

and if the market corrects, it would be temporary (it always is). The markets have long win streaks, followed by short, but sudden pullbacks. However once it reaches its bottom, it rebounds and always finds a long streak of gains during which it surpasses its previous peak and sets a new one. When i say the market returns 8% per year, this doesn't mean it always goes up 8% each year. It means that when you average all of the years together (bear markets and bull markets) the average result will always fall upon that 8% mark. In fact a pullback wouldn't be bad for me right now as I'm young and I'd get some cheaper shares of VFIAX, which would then have 30-35 years to grow before I hit retirement.

When we are looking at the market as a vehicle for retirement investing, then the short term is absolutely meaningless. I am 30 years old, what I care about is where it will be in 2050. I don't care where it will be in 2020. When we get closer to my targeted retirement age, I will transition into bonds to avoid the volatility, but volatility means nothing to me while I'm looking out at the long run to build my nest-egg to retirement age.

Do you know the story of Winnie the Pooh and the honey pot? He ate too much honey at Rabbit's house (an analogy to greedy stock investors now) that he became too fat and ended up getting stuck. Sometimes you have to know when to say "when".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlbdMWJ57H4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Do you know the story of Winnie the Pooh and the honey pot? He ate too much honey at Rabbit's house (a metaphor for greedy stock investors now) that he became too fat and ended up getting stuck. Sometimes you have to know when to say "when".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlbdMWJ57H4

I'm sorry that you have lost faith in the stock market, but history has proven it to be the best way to build your nest egg. The record on gold tells you that it should absolutely be avoided. Commodities are not investment vehicles and should not be viewed as such. Unlike my stocks, they don't produce an income and have no long term track record of sustained growth in value.

We'll agree to disagree here, but I have the data and a decades long track record on my side here. I get to invest cheaply with Vanguard where I pay no money to buy my funds and the expenses for my funds come out to $4 per year per $10,000 invested (expense ratio of VFIAX is 0.04).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
you ALWAYS defer to the jew in these matters. Rube living up to his namesake if he really thinks he can oppose the tribe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm sorry that you have lost faith in the stock market, but history has proven it to be the best way to build your nest egg. The record on gold tells you that it should absolutely be avoided. Commodities are not investment vehicles and should not be viewed as such. Unlike my stocks, they don't produce an income and have no long term track record of sustained growth in value.

We'll agree to disagree here, but I have the data and a decades long track record on my side here. I get to invest cheaply with Vanguard where I pay no money to buy my funds and the expenses for my funds come out to $4 per year per $10,000 invested (expense ratio of VFIAX is 0.04).

I worked in the financial industry for years, first as an equity research analyst for a major European bank, then as a commodity analyst in the financial news industry at firms in Chicago, New York and London. I also developed a stock index model while at a top algorithmic trading firm in Chicago. What I learned is that at certain times and certain technical levels, the market is heavily manipulated. Collusion is not free price discovery. And there has been a lot of collusion (e.g. invisible hand) to keep the markets up since the crash of '08. I don't want to play a rigged game, and especially not with derivatives. The name of the game is "buy low and sell high". Do you really know what "low" is, so that your entry timing is good, or are you getting caught buying and holding high (or vice versa, selling low)? Right now I would say that to be in the market, you are at the top or close to it. That's hugely risky for little upside. Whereas I think gold is cheap here relative to the deteriorating macro picture. If you look at a gold chart, you should compare that at the same time to historical monetary policy and how the fed funds rate has changed. Gold does well when the fed funds rate is heading downward or is being kept low. Based on the recent weak data that has come in, like retail sales, and the Fed's neutral risk assessment, I think the fed funds rate will be kept low, not too exceed 2.5% in this cycle, or that the fed is over-promising on rates, in which case the rate will be kept the same or that the next move will be a cut. Gold is also to benefit from deficit spending Congress, with $1 trillion in debt added in the last six months alone, the ever-declining dollar and trade war. Those are my reasons for being long gold, and not paper gold, but physical gold at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 am 

What a load of shit this stock market is. The Fed is doing what it does best, pumping the market after the big drop last week. They pumped the futures overnight, so that the market gaps up at the open today. Big company like MSFT up 5%. On what? Then the financial headlines read, "Fear about China trade war subsides". Nothing has changed. Picture is ugly and going to get a lot uglier.

This is what I'm talking about when I say there is market rigging and collusion. If anything, stocks are up because the dollar is getting routed yet again. Down 2/3% this morning, while gold is up $7.10. Could it be because the U.S. Central Bank is dumping dollar to prop stocks? I would not put it past them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Remington filed for chapter 11 this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Currently down ~ 575 points.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Don Tiny wrote:

The market's been overvalued for a while. But "our" President is doing the markets no favors by actively destroying global trade and bashing companies like Amazon. The mere uncertainty of what this guy is going to say or do next is scaring the crap out of investors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

The market's been overvalued for a while. But "our" President is doing the markets no favors by actively destroying global trade and bashing companies like Amazon. The mere uncertainty of what this guy is going to say or do next is scaring the crap out of investors.

but in the end we all know the market with a diversified passively managed mutual fund (VFIAX) is still the best place to be in the long run.

and yes Trump's idiotic comments/actions on trade are no help. It's almost as if he skipped class in college when taking Macro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Investors, or traders?

From a newsletter I read:

Quote:
The market's "Tariff Tantrum" over the $50 billion to $60 billion levy on Chinese imports that was announced on March 22, one week ago, was pretty routine, but traders took the announcement and ran with it. Meanwhile I'm going to assume that investors, who tend to have a timeframe that extends beyond five nanoseconds, took the announcement in stride. Why?

Well, let's step back a minute and consider the initial Trump administration announcement that blanket tariffs of 25% and 10% would be applied to all steel and aluminum imports, respectively. So far, according to an analysis by Moody's Analytics, "temporary" exemptions have been given to Canada, Mexico, the E.U., Brazil, South Korea and Australia, adding up to 65% of the imports upon which tariffs were supposed to be levied and 67% of the value of all steel imports. Does that sound like a blanket tariff?

If you're to believe the reports out of Washington, negotiators for the U.S. and China are already in discussions about just how far the new set of tariffs will go—if they go at all. A tit-for-tat tariff compromise is most likely the end result, giving all involved the ability to go back to their constituencies and claim victory. I'm keeping my skeptic's hat pulled down tight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

but in the end we all know the market with a diversified passively managed mutual fund (VFIAX) is still the best place to be in the long run.

and yes Trump's idiotic comments/actions on trade are no help. It's almost as if he skipped class in college when taking Macro

I'm confused as my republican friends from day one have lectured me that leaving the free markets be is a core tenant of Conservatism 101.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I'm confused as my republican friends from day one have lectured me that leaving the free markets be is a core tenant of Conservatism 101.

Well, the facts of the matter are Donald Trump is not a conservative, but rather a populist. Populism usually makes for very bad policy.

However, Republican voters are largely retarded so they've abandoned some of their core ideas to follow Trump over the ledge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
shots fired at pittmike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
a genius wrote:
Investors, or traders?

Quote:
The market's "Tariff Tantrum" over the $50 billion to $60 billion levy on Chinese imports that was announced on March 22, one week ago, was pretty routine, but traders took the announcement and ran with it. Meanwhile I'm going to assume that investors, who tend to have a timeframe that extends beyond five nanoseconds, took the announcement in stride. Why?

Well, let's step back a minute and consider the initial Trump administration announcement that blanket tariffs of 25% and 10% would be applied to all steel and aluminum imports, respectively. So far, according to an analysis by Moody's Analytics, "temporary" exemptions have been given to Canada, Mexico, the E.U., Brazil, South Korea and Australia, adding up to 65% of the imports upon which tariffs were supposed to be levied and 67% of the value of all steel imports. Does that sound like a blanket tariff?

If you're to believe the reports out of Washington, negotiators for the U.S. and China are already in discussions about just how far the new set of tariffs will go—if they go at all. A tit-for-tat tariff compromise is most likely the end result, giving all involved the ability to go back to their constituencies and claim victory. I'm keeping my skeptic's hat pulled down tight.

Traders are a subset of investors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
a genius wrote:
Investors, or traders?

Quote:

Traders are a subset of investors.

What about BACKSTABBBERS?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 74  Next