It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noooooo :-(
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:11 am 
1000 CLUB

From today's Feder:

(Dan) Mason's return is expected to improve the outlook for Mike North, whose contract at sports/talk WSCR-AM (670) clearly was headed south under the Hollanders. Mason, who's known to be a fan of North, is likely to approve a renewal for the Score's morning star.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/ ... 18.article

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

Feder is pretty accurate but I have a hard time beliving Mike will still be doing mornings, at least the way the show is now. And I love when Feder goes off...

I hear there's been a change at the top of CBS Radio. How will that affect its seven stations here?

A. It's true: Joel Hollander, the worst radio executive I've ever known, finally was forced out as president and CEO of CBS Radio.

Highlights of his egomaniacal reign of terror included bungling the replacement of Howard Stern, hiring and firing on whim (starting with gross nepotism), inflicting the fiascoes of "Free FM" on WCKG-FM (105.9) and "Jack FM" on WJMK-FM (104.3), and losing millions in revenue.

His centralized control and emasculation of local management underscored everything that's wrong with consolidation.

"People want to put their goddamn foot on your neck whenever you make a change," Hollander famously told me after he dumped the oldies format at WJMK. "The problem is that there's a lot of people who don't have the balls to make a change."

Hollander was replaced by Dan Mason, who previously ran the radio division of CBS. Although he presided over the demise of two legendary stations in Chicago -- WMAQ and WJJD -- Mason is widely admired as a decent man and a down-to-earth boss.

On his opening day on the job Monday, Mason declared local autonomy for his managers. He also won praise for forcing out Hollander's younger brother, Les, who ran roughshod over Chicago among other markets he oversaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 pm 

I love how Feder always refers to North as a star. North must be sending some nice gifts over to Rob to get that type of treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

does anybody have the newspaper quote after somebody said North had a "top-rated morning show" but then the next week had to retract it & say they were wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

nostradamus wrote:
does anybody have the newspaper quote after somebody said North had a "top-rated morning show" but then the next week had to retract it & say they were wrong?

I think that was Stella Foster's column.

I sent her an email pointing out that he wasn't a top 5 rated show, not even a top twenty rated show. I'll try to find it later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
No it was the lady who does that "lunch with (insert name)".....its always in the sunday paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
No it was the lady who does that "lunch with (insert name)".....its always in the sunday paper.
That's right, he had the lunch witch say he was TOP rated.!!