It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ed Sherman Column
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:40 pm 

Tribune media reporter Ed Sherman weighs in on Jesse Jackson's appearance Friday on Mike North's radio show.

WSCR-AM 670 ran a special Friday morning: Grandstanding, two for the price of one.

Mike North had a spirited discussion with Jesse Jackson during his morning show. Instead of doing the interview over the phone, Jackson appeared in the studio.

I usually change stations when North does his George Will impersonation (OK, that's really a stretch) and delves into social and political issues. Many of his views are too extreme, too far right, for me to waste time listening to them.

But the office wanted me to weigh in, so I punched up 'SCR on the Net.

North's interview wasn't an easy listen for me. The topic was the Don Imus controversy. Clearly feeling a double standard is in place, North set out to show that several African-American public figures, including Jackson, have made comments they later regretted.

So we should excuse Imus?

North's line of questioning suggested that he believes Jackson is a hypocrite. When Jackson bemoaned the lack of diversity in broadcasting, North asked him how many white people he had on the board of his RainbowPUSH Coalition. OK, Mike, I'm sure there's a spot waiting for you.

North accused Jackson of doing a "filibuster" at one point, and Jackson did virtually the same thing when North went off on a rant instead of asking him a direct question. But it never got contentious, and Jackson patiently answered North's questions, many of which came out of "right field." North came up with a new category, talking about radio directed at "white markets."

The best moments came when Jackson talked about Jackie Robinson, poignantly remembering a great man. Looking back, it would have been better if they had spent the whole interview talking about No. 42. Then I would not have been tempted to change stations.

North called Ed and this column lazy today, why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well, North is right about one thing, Sherman is a lazy columnist known for lifting things from other columns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:13 am 
1000 CLUB

North did a good job in the intereview. Sherman didn't want to write the column, and came in with a pre-conceived negative tilt towards North because they are on different sides of the political spectrum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
Jackson patiently answered North's questions, many of which came out of "right field."

Poor biased writing, right there. I can't stand the Mike North Morning Show, but even Pappy is the good guy next to Mr. Hymietown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Ed Sherman is a waste of newsprint, not to mention sort of creepy looking.