It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Excuse Machine
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:36 pm 

Quote:
The good news for North is that his 3.4 rating among men 25-54 beat last year's winter mark of 2.8. The bad news: WMVP's "Mike and Mike" team of Greenberg and Golic posted a 4.6.

"I'm not a happy man today," North said. "But even if I was in first place, my ratings would never be good enough."

Though "Mike and Mike" is a nationally syndicated show, the pair has local appeal. Greenberg is a Northwestern and WSCR alum who lit up CLTV in 1995-96. Golic loves Notre Dame like Al Gore loves trees. They did Monday's show from the ESPN Zone on Ohio Street.

"'Mike and Mike' are on TV," North said. "They're a brand name, and they're tough to beat."

He's not happy, but hell, as long as the paycheck is still coming, who cares. He also has come up with a new excuse, Mike and Mike are on TV.....WTF? That is the comment of a beaten boob and it couldnt happen to a bigger douchebag. All these years of "we are chicago" and he cant even come up with a better excuse then that? Moron!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:42 pm 

Being on tv is a hinderance, not a positive...just ask Bill Wirtz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

North can complain all he wants about Mike and Mike being a brand name, and having a TV show. Fine, I'm not even going to argue about that, but he can make a drastic improvement quickly by making this obvious move.

I wouldn't say the show would be great or anything, but the quickest way to improve the show is GET RID OF ANNIE. She has no business being on the Score, and we've been saying it for a year plus.

I'm not getting my hopes up.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wasn't North on Ch 5 every morning for a year? They dumped him too. I guess TV didn't help him. How about those billboards? I guess they didn't help either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't know how he can act upset that his ratings stink at the same time that he employs Annie. The content of the show isn't always that compelling either as he yawns at such things as the NFL Draft (probably not a good thing to do when you work for a sports station), but I wouldn't hire my friends wife as a favor, and then look every other direction but at her despite the stupid comments she makes everyday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe he thinks his ratings will improve when he moves to "The Big Station" of 99.9 run by his nepotism buddy Harvey Wells/Mr. Ann Maxfield.
---
DIALING
Harvey Wells, the veteran Chicago radio exec who began as a weekend disc jockey in 1975 and now heads the Newsweb Corp. radio group, has a son following in his footsteps.
Todd Welstein, a 24-year-old graduate student at DePaul University, is the host of "The X-Equilibrium Dance Party" from 5 to 8 a.m. Sundays on Northwestern University's WNUR-FM (89.3). The show is a free-form mix of rock, jazz, ambient and other sonic sensations.
After he graduates in June, Welstein will begin an internship with National Public Radio in Washington, D.C. (And his father couldn't be more proud.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:17 pm 

Ok, the MNMS and B-B have failed and yet, they are the back bone of the station. Murph is a loser according to many here and B-B, but yet, he gets better ratings then "franchise teams" at wscr. I dont get it, but what I do get is that Mike North will continue his death spiral as long as he refuses to make changes and B-B will bascially insult there way off the air.

It was clear as day and now they have to answer for it, my predictions are this, North stays, different shift, different partner and no control of the show. B-B split because Terry has stole enough money to retire and WSCR is going to have to bring a big name in with rating game and has a proven history. Otherwise, WSCR is going to fade, even with the White Sox, they will suffer in the ratings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
WSCR is going to have to bring a big name in with rating game and has a proven history

Salisbury???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:03 pm 

Mancow? He would have a field day ripping the morons who work there. I would love it. Will it happen? No, but I would love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 am 

Murph would get buried in afternoon drive. It would be a similar ratings slide tp when Telander was in afternoons.

B&B did better numbers then every other show in Chicago when they did middays. So what? It's apples and oranges.

Mac would love to have Murph on from 2 to 6pm.

If they have failed....why are they moving MJH up an hour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Drinky, how about a post on what B&B can do to improve? Instead of using this forum to make fun of Murph?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 am 
1000 CLUB

I think they want to move MJH up to try to be more dominant Drinky. That's all. You guys get a free hour vs Dan Patrick. I agree Murph would get killed in afternoons drinky but I remember Bernsie congratulating Murph last ratings period on a reccord dominating performance.

Despite their weak performance nobody at the Score is gonna get rid of B&B. Nobody currently at the station could do any better. Plus you guys were like 3rd or 4th last book for men right Drinky.

All of the Sox day baseball hurt you.

Pappy, on the other hand, is an utter emabarrasement. Especially considering his salary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I think they want to move MJH up to try to be more dominant Drinky. That's all. You guys get a free hour vs Dan Patrick. I agree Murph would get killed in afternoons drinky but I remember Bernsie congratulating Murph last ratings period on a reccord dominating performance.

That's exactly it. ESPN 1000 only has a certain amount of hours in the day of local programming and has to take advantage to try and get the overall #1 sports spot with those limited local shows. MJH is the heavyweight so they need to leverage that as much as possible. I also think there is some professional gamesmanship with Mac especially and he wants to go head to head against B&B to see what they can do in direct competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:40 am 

I would blow B&B up and start over spmack....

I brought up Murph because another posting did....thanks though for your concern about B&B

Hardly a weak showing for B&B. I'd love to beat MJH. If they, B&B, finish where I expect them to after the numbers are sorted out, I'll be happy after an awful March full of spring training baseball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:59 am 
1000 CLUB

drinky wrote:
Murph would get buried in afternoon drive. It would be a similar ratings slide tp when Telander was in afternoons.

B&B did better numbers then every other show in Chicago when they did middays. So what? It's apples and oranges.

Murphy may be a jerk, but he seems to have put up good ratings in his time slots over the years. He seems to have a loyal audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:08 am 
1000 CLUB

MJH wants to move up an hour because that is the ratings period - they are essentially being rated on only 3 hours of their show, and one hour of Dan Patrick. Mac mentioned it in an Ask Mac thread from a while ago, you can go find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:29 am 

Afternoon drive is actually rated from 3pm to 7pm.

B&B are the odd ones as far as time is concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:30 am 
1000 CLUB

Did North say 'they're a brand name'?

What about Wise Guys Stewarts Coffee?

What about Pappy's Giardinia (sp?)

What about "Pappys" - some ill conceived homage to the 90s version of the 80s parachute pants - aka Zubas

Pappy tried to make himself and his shows 'a brand'. People simply weren't buying what he was peddling.

Pappy's Store!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am 
1000 CLUB

That might be true Drinky. But Mac often says their is a huge drop off for all radio listeners from 6-7. I guess everybody is home by then.

Since B&B is their direct competition they want to match up during the 2pm hour to hook listeners. You guys have that edge.

Like I said. B&B and MJH are both decent to good. I think MJH will always win becasue they are less abrassive and your average guy likes that "afternoon salone" thing.

I listen to both. The different radio clocks allow that. I like the fact that Bernsie is well thought out at times even though he tries to bait people sometimes. I also like that Bernsie will hit on tougher issues. MJH never do that. Yeah, Boers just goes along with whatever Bernsie says becasue he's lazy, doesn't care at this point, and just wants to collect checks. But Bernsie cabable of carrying him and he has.

Both shows will be around for a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Drinky, what does the Score bill vs. WMVP and how will the PPM effect you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rocks and Blows wrote:
Drinky, what does the Score bill vs. WMVP and how will the PPM effect you guys?

Better yet, what does:

The Score billings minus Score expenses vs. MVP billings minus MVP expenses effect you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I heard it was $300/minute for the Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
North can complain all he wants about Mike and Mike being a brand name

Wow. Deep down is this what mike North thinks of himself? he can't compete with a national brand name? You're Mike north damn it. You were one of the pioneers of sports talk in this town whether any of this posters on this board believe that or not. And you're going to tell us, "well they're a brand name" and that you can't compete with that? You WERE a Chicago brand name. More people loved your show than despised it.And now look at you. The majority of people can't stand you and your show. And you are going to blame it on the "brand name" of Mike and Mike. North come on! We are all dying for a decent LOCAL sports talk radio show in the morning and you can't deliver. So the rest of us have to listen to music or tweedle dee and tweedle dum on ESPN Radio. You were better than this. But those days are far far back in your radio career trail. I can't believe you are blaming it on the "brand name." I thought you were so confident that you were egotistical. Apparently not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Cool, I can dress like trash for just ten bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's what's funny. The Score runs promo's saying "We're Chicago. The other guys are talking about the Red Sox and A-rod"

Guess what? We'll take that over whatever the hell Pappy is talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Quote:
drinky wrote:

drinky:

You must have just woke up from another blackout. B&B NEVER did better numbers than all other shows. Use that on WYC next week please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Drinky must be drunky again!