It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This gem from Tranny
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:32 am 

Annie saying that she doesn't think Ron Santo has ever used his diabetes or his stubs to try and get himself into the Hall of Fame.

Unbelievable. North get rid of this hag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:42 am 

I heard it, I think WGN and the Cubs push this more then Santo, but Santo could have just said no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
So why did North start going off on Santo.
It's nice to see someone at the station take Ronnie to task :roll:
Nice original thought, Mikey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 pm 

Let's guess he (North) probably tried to appear above looking petty by claiming some personal tie or loss from diabetes,... right???

And I'm sure that works for most of his meathead followers too.

(and no, I'm a Sox fan, don't think that Santo deserves the HOF, believe that he may have been a jerk in his playing days, but as a man looking at the end--and one who genuinely loves his team, I have sympathy for him)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 pm 

I actually thought Annie was right on this. She said that she thought Santo had used his minor celebrity status to bring positive attention to people with diabetes.

She pointed out that it's a fairly common thing for a person with a speaking platform to do. Various pols, Hollywood celebs, athletes, etc., do this kind of thing.

I think easily of that Reeves guy, Michael J. Fox, and now Roger Ebert with a post-treatment photo in the paper. There's something they still call Lou Gehrig's disease.

I think that's what Santo intended. He doesn't seem classless enough for the other conclusion. And I can remember a Tribune magazine article about his "coming out" as a diabetic that must have been 25 years ago. So this is not part of some recent campaign.

He's gotten a bum rap. Annie is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:02 pm 

Santo has done a lot to bring awareness to diabetes, especially attention for the fight against children's diabetes.

HOWEVER, he's used it also to keep trying to get into the HoF. His film (This Old Cub) was nothing but a propaganda piece to make a pitch to the veterans committee. The talk of "I hope I'm here to see it if it happens," is pure 'pull on the heartstrings' approach to get into the Hall. Knock it off already. Joe Morgan has decided you don't belong in. And what Joe wants, Joe gets.

Santo irritated the piss out of me with his diatribe on "Why are they using pink bats," and basically showing how much he's wrapped up in himself to ever realize that it wasn't because it was Mother's Day, Ronnie. Its for Breast Cancer Research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. That said alot about Santo. The only lives worth saving are the ones with his deseise I guess. So just give money for his research fund. The hell with the cancer people.