It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 pm 

While channel surfing on Monday morning, I landed on his show and actually heard him wonder aloud when did he ever use an ethnic slur on the air.

O.K., I'll start with the first two that come to mind. First, there was the Antonio Mora debacle in which he talked about anchors wearing sombreros while doing the news. Secondly, there was the "chinaman" episode from not that long ago.

Any other ones you would care to add? North's memory seems a little fuzzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chinaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:46 pm 

And what was it that Fritzy/Fritzie/his friend called Jews that got his friend labelled as persona non grata, but which Mr. "Poppy Seed Bun" thought was normal talk???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
After 9/11, he and Fritzy were referring to "Towelheads wearing their babushkas." Even though the last time I checked, Hindu Indians are not Arabs or Muslims.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:45 am 

He used to refer to his interns everyday as the battling Polocks. They may not have said anything but try calling someone that on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:51 am 
1000 CLUB

I think ethnic slurs against white people are accepted in society. I'm half Polock and could care less if somebody called me that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:09 am 
1000 CLUB

This is kind of backwards but I think Pappy has called Annie a beautiful women.

That has to be very offensive to actual beautiful women. I mean it lowers the standards of their very elite club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 am 

I agree Beardown but sadly, I'd probably still do her.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:16 am 

Beardown wrote:
This is kind of backwards but I think Pappy has called Annie a beautiful women.

That has to be very offensive to actual beautiful women. I mean it lowers the standards of their very elite club.

If offends two groups, the beautiful and women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
He used to refer to his interns everyday as the battling Polocks. They may not have said anything but try calling someone that on the street.

Actually, I'll come to Mike's defense on this. A good part of my family is Polish, and we always refer to each other as Polocks. Not until I met my wife's Mom, who is also Polish, did I learn that was meant as an insult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:23 am 

Frontman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Actually, I'll come to Mike's defense on this. A good part of my family is Polish, and we always refer to each other as Polocks. Not until I met my wife's Mom, who is also Polish, did I learn that was meant as an insult.[/qu
ote]
Really you defend him on this? You must be pretty young. Years ago every comic were telling Polish jokes. I had a foreman, who's a Jew, keep telling me those jokes. He quit when I told him the same jokes but put Jew replacing where Polish was. Wasn't so funny then. It's just like blacks saying it's okay for them saying genius to each other, but not white folks to use the word.
We called each other dumb Polocks all the time growing up. Grew up in a Polish neighborhood. Just like I wouldn't call someone a dumb dago or any other ethnic group. As for North, he's nothing but a loud mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 am 

Frontman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Actually, I'll come to Mike's defense on this. A good part of my family is Polish, and we always refer to each other as Polocks. Not until I met my wife's Mom, who is also Polish, did I learn that was meant as an insult.

So you are defending it because you and your family were ignorant of its intent for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:42 am 

No, I'm just saying that its just a word that some view as an insult, others use with pride. All the 100% Polish uncles and whatnot in my family used it all the time, so we assumed it wasn't an insult growing up. Granted, North is older than I am by a generation or, so maybe it wasn't as loaded of a word to my generation as it was to a previous generation. I guess its all in context.

And I'm in my 30's so the "must be young" is all relative to what you consider young.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:43 am 

Gosh, Is this China or something? Someone reads our posts and deletes words that he thinks shouldn't be used? So let's see which ones he let us used. Polocks and dagos were ok. So calling Polish and Italians racists names is acceptable. But can't use the "n" word, replace that with black. And use "nut" instead of a person with the last name of say, Stein. So if you don't delete this whole post, PC'er, explain to me why this happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am 

Frontman wrote:
I guess its all in context.

In some ways you are correct. I believe young fortenbras uses the word in Hamlet. On the other hand a person of Polish ethnicity is Polish or a Pole. Calling him some low brow derivative, while not overly hurtfull, is not something that should be encouraged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 am 

Quote:
Gosh, Is this China or something? Someone reads our posts and deletes words that he thinks shouldn't be used? So let's see which ones he let us used. Polocks and dagos were ok. So calling Polish and Italians racists names is acceptable. But can't use the "n" word, replace that with black. And use "nut" instead of a person with the last name of say, Stein. So if you don't delete this whole post, PC'er, explain to me why this happened?

Chitownpizza, there are a few words that are automatically edited on this site when you type them in. For instance, "g-a-y" changes to "gay" when you type it in. The word "fuck" used to become "DOPE" when you type it in, but that ban has been removed.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:15 am 

chitownpizza wrote:

As this thread has shown, Polock may or may not be considered an insult to a Polish person. The "n" word has more of a bite and an insult to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 am 
1000 CLUB

Make no mistake. Polock is a derogitory word. It's just a matter of if you take offense or not.

White people are the majority. So typically they don't take offense to ethnic slurs. More often then not they are said in jest and are taken as such.

More often then not slurs against blacks and latins are meant to hurt and are taken as such. Their skin color is the reason the slurs are made. Not their ethnicity persay.

That's the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:46 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
In the old WWF wrestling days, just wondering if anybody was offended by the Honky Tonk Man?

I was. Not for his name or anything, but the fact that the no talent hack held onto the Intercontinetal title for damn near two years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:46 am 

Rooney,

The greatest IC champion of all time is a slam dunk answer. Everyone knows it was the Ultimate Warrior!

*hangs his head in shame.*

I can't believe I even said that, even as a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:00 am 

The greatest IC Champ of all time is the Dragon:

Nuff Said!

Post subject: Slurs?????????????
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:15 am 

People that don't believe in using slurs are PC. And the ones that do believe in it are.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

Last edited by nWo4Life on Thu May 24, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Chico Santana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Razor Ramon, hands down. His struggles with HBK were legendary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Mike asked someone how they would feel if their daughter brought home a "Tyrone".

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject: Deleted Again
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:02 am 

Got to love it. I had a whole post deleted. Not 2 words, a well thought out story about myself and my best friend whose black. What's the excuse for that one my friends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Your post must've sucked even more than usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:12 pm 

Kid Cairo (A Brother) wrote:
The greatest IC Champ of all time is the Dragon:

Nuff Said!

Kid Cairo is right.