It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:46 am 
1000 CLUB

From today's column from Feder:

Mike North, the quintessential Chicago guy, is headed for the Big Apple.
The outspoken morning star of CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR-AM (670) has been invited to fill in next Tuesday and Wednesday for deposed host Don Imus on New York's WFAN-AM.

The show airs in syndication on radio stations nationwide.

North joins an illustrious list of substitutes -- including Boomer Esiason, John McEnroe, Geraldo Rivera and David Gregory -- since Imus was fired for uttering a racial slur April 4. Imus also was fired from MSNBC.

"It's a big opportunity," North said of the two-day gig. "They haven't called it an audition, but if you do a good enough job, I'm sure it would turn a few heads."

Although the New York show won't air here, Chicago fans will be able to hear North via audio streaming at www.wfan.com.

North has been on quite a roll. He successfully teamed with the Rev. Jesse Jackson to push for a statue of Cubs legend Ernie Banks outside Wrigley Field.

And he basked in nationwide attention (including a segment on Howard Stern's show) for the profanity-laced call North took on the air last week from White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:49 am 
1000 CLUB

Also in the Tribune today in Greenstein's column:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... me-utility

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:33 am 
1000 CLUB

I was just waiting for the true reason Pappy and Jesse recently became butt buddies. Gotta love CBS and MSNBC, firing Imus for suppousedly being "racist", so they clean up there act by bringing in Pappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:15 am 
1000 CLUB

Tranny will look so hot under the right lighting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 am 

Goodluck to the inbread trying to gain an audience in NY. He sucks in chicago and will suck in NY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Maciano's
wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:46 am 

I think Mike will get his ass kicked for two days. Let Mr. Chicago get a job there, if it means he leaves, I am all for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:56 am 

Wow! And to think, that the way to get rid of Mike was to make him so popular that someone else would take him!
So what I would like to know is..what does Jesse Jackson get out of this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
Are you frickin kidding me??

I'm combining 2 threads by saying - WOW, and I want to vomit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:00 am 

Listen, Chicag otolerates north, his act would never get off the ground in NY. He isnt smart enough to do a show like that and he would just get his ass handed to him on a daily basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:01 am 
1000 CLUB

There is no way he gets that job.

Even if he puts on the two best shows EVER, all that station needs to do is look at some of the controversies he's been in, and there's no way they are going to put themselves into another potential headache over some comment that either actually offends people and/or the PC Police can jump on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:05 am 

Thing is Imus had a wide range of topics he could discuss and he was well versed, North isnt. I guess I shouldnt say he wont get the job, because radio Execs are as stupid as they come.

In a sick way, I would like to see him ge the gig just to hear him fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:06 am 
1000 CLUB

I watched a bit of that WFAN show today on MSNBC. Jim Kramer was sitting in. Pretty painful imho.

CBSRadio owns both the SCORE and WFAN, and are probably giving some of their 'bigger names' from around their larger market's radio stations a crack at it to see what transpires.

You've got to hand it to Pappy, he's come a long way since the hot dog stand. In the words of Don King: Only in America!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:14 am 

Grid, come on, he was handed the gig and protected by spaceball and his guys. Mike has come a long way, yes, but he has regessed over the last 7 years, so while he is getting these shots, he doesnt deserve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm not saying his popularity hasn't faded, but that station was a rudderless ship when Mr. Anne Maxfield was running the show.

I'm just saying he's come a long way since running a hot dog stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:23 am 

Congratulations to Mike. I think a non Chicago show may be beyond his abilities who knows. There is a lot of bad national radio out there. Mike can meet or exceed a lot of that production.

An interesting side note: today, Mike stated that it was he who wanted to have an Imus type show from the very beginning. He has previously been quoted in print as blaming management for recommending he do that type of show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:25 am 

Quote:
I'm just saying he's come a long way since running a hot dog stand.

I agree, I will give him that, but he was lucky to have Spaceball and Harvey there, anyone else after the Monsters were done, would have launched him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:39 am 

Quote:
An interesting side note: today, Mike stated that it was he who wanted to have an Imus type show from the very beginning. He has previously been quoted in print as blaming management for recommending he do that type of show.

Mike is so full of sh it that it is coming out of Fred's and Annie's ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:48 am 
1000 CLUB

North would be opioninated on that show, there's no doubt about that, but I say again, no way does he get the position because the PC Police/CBS management will comb over his past extremely closely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
I think a non Chicago show may be beyond his abilities

Gee, ya think? A freakin Chicago show is beyond his abilities, so I'm guessing a "non-Chicago" show will be as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:03 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
no way does he get the position because the PC Police/CBS management will comb over his past extremely closely.

Umm, call me crazy, but I'm guessing North's complete and utter incompetence in a general talk format would be a bigger barrier to his hiring than the dreaded PC Police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Congratulations to Mike. I think a non Chicago show may be beyond his abilities who knows. There is a lot of bad national radio out there. Mike can meet or exceed a lot of that production.

Wasn't Mike allowed to do an Imus like show when he first moved to mornings? And the whole reason Jesse and Al freaked on Imus was so he could get fired and they could have a say in who replaces him and get kickbacks from everyone involved. Jesse is making money off of all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:20 am 
1000 CLUB

Wow. That is correct. You guys said it all. Look. This will lead to absolutly nothing. But I'm shocked as hell that he got an opportunity to do this anyway. He sucks in local radio. Mr. Chicago can't beat Mike and Mike but he gets this chance. The great Pappy got killed by MJH in his last afternoon slot ratings book. Yet, he gets this chance? Holy shit.

They fire Imus and give a guy whos used the word "Chinaman" a shot. You gotta love hypocritical stupid high paid execs.

This might be one of the funniest moments in Radio history. It's like the Hillbillys heading to Hollywood.

So this means that Pappy is going to be on TV on MSNBC?

I swear. I want to see the looks on the execs that gave him this shot after his two shows are over. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:22 am 

Quote:
Teddy's column made me puke.

Mike North, that quintessential Chicago hot dog, will lose the pickle spear and celery salt next week. He's headed to New York to anchor Don Imus' old show on WFAN-AM. North will do the 6-10 a.m. (local time) show Tuesday and Wednesday.

"That's a big chair," North said. "I don't think it has sunk in yet."

The WSCR-AM morning host first discussed the possibility with CBS Radio President Dan Mason three weeks ago. The plan was for North to pinch-hit while the White Sox visited the Yankees from July 31-Aug. 2.

But CBS Radio officials moved up the date, perhaps in an effort to capitalize on all the recent attention North has received. First he got some headlines for a Kyle Farnsworth interview in which the former Cubs pitcher questioned the contract provision allowing Roger Clemens to drop in and out of the Yankees' clubhouse.

Then North's "don't talk down to me" reprimand of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen went national, even drawing admiration from Howard Stern. North, after teaming with Jesse Jackson, even got his wish for the Cubs to erect a statue of Ernie Banks.

"We've all had our slumps," North said. "But right now I'm at the dice table, and I'm rolling 7s."

Quote:
Just because you set up a few things to draw attention to yourself doesnt mean the ratings will improve, the show still sucks and he is going to make a fool of himself for two days in NYC.

CBS Radio fired Imus on April 12 after his infamous "nappy-headed hos" comment regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team.

In its search for a permanent replacement, WFAN has auditioned football analyst Boomer Esiason and Patrick and John McEnroe, among others. Bob Costas is said to have turned down the gig.

North said he doesn't view his two-day stint as a tryout for the nationally syndicated show, which does not air in Chicago but can be heard at wfan.com.

"I'm a Chicago guy, and I can't foresee it happening," North said. "They want a New York-style show with not many Chicago guests.

Quote:
If they offer him anything near what he is making now, he will be Mr. NYC in a NY minute.

"At the same time, where was Johnny Carson from? Nebraska. How about David Letterman? Indianapolis. There's nothing wrong with having a guy from the Midwest do the show. And look at [Jay] Leno. He's not from L.A. He's from Boston."

Quote:
Oh my god, Leno, Letterman and a icon in Johnny Carson and he puts his name in with them. North is out of control.

North plans to spring for a private jet to take his entourage to New York on Saturday. He will take family members and WSCR colleagues, including his first producer, Jesse Rogers, and current producers Jen Patterson and Rock Mamola. He has also invited his former boss, Chicago radio veteran Jeff Schwartz. "People wonder how Mike will play in New York," Schwartz said. "He'll be magnificent. You walk down the streets of New York, and everyone has an attitude. Well, who has a bigger attitude than Mike North? He will be over the top."

Quote:
Thats just fricken wierd, go to NY and ask people who Mike North is and they wont know and go back as them a week after he is gone and they still wont know.

North morning show contributors Fred Huebner and Anne Maxfield will stay behind in Chicago. A substitute host will likely join them while North does Manhattan.

Quote:
There is a team player for ya, way to take care of your guys fuckhead

North already is lining up New York guests such as Spike Lee. He hopes to land Bud Selig from a list of 60 possibilities.

"Maybe we'll get A.J. and Ozzie," North said, referring to Pierzynski and his manager.

Yeah, right. And maybe North will discuss his favorite Jewish delis.

Quote:
Put Fritzy on

"You have to take advantage of your opportunities," North said. "A week from now I'll probably be rolling snake eyes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Do you think Pappy's gonna bring his Real Estate game and Fred's movie review for his big audition? I'm still laughing over this.

I hope its on MSNBC because I absolutly want to watch this train wreck. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:29 am 
Quote:
They fire Imus and give a guy whos used the word "Chinaman" a shot. . .It's like the Hillbillys heading to Hollywood.

10 bucks he interviews Jesse on one of the two days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:33 am 

I bet NY gets a taste of Fritzy, Knuckles, Bebe and Jesse Rogers, have fun with that NY.

Thing is, say they get him some real guests with real educated opinions, he will be destroyed.

Last edited by FredsMissingNuts on Wed May 23, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:35 am 

Quote:
I am not sure which channel MSNBC is on my cable but you can bet I'm tivoing the whole thing.

Holy Crap, you mean mr. bad teeth will be on tv to? Oh man, I am taking those two days off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Shit. You mean they are gonna let him bring Annie and Fred. No way. LOL.

Hey Rock do you and Jen Jen get to go to NY to produce this? Probably not. They'll have a guy there for Pappy.

Somebody tape this crap and put the funniest worst moments on Youtube and link it here.