It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Les
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
R.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Tom from Hanover Park is probably greeting Les in heaven, drunk of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/levine-there-will-never-be-another-les-grobstein

Bravo Bruce.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
blackhawksfan wrote:
Tom from Hanover Park is probably greeting Les in heaven, drunk of course.

wow i remember that guy from the 90s. always use to call in. when did he pass away?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
badrogue17 wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/levine-there-will-never-be-another-les-grobstein

Bravo Bruce.

Very nice article. Some great details in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Peoria Matt wrote:
Grote mentioned Les had "insurance problems". I hope Mitch is working to resolve this.

not sure if les' personal benefits at the score have been revealed. he definitely qualified for medicare by age, but supplemental medicare and prescriptions can add up. if les didn't qualify for premium-free medicare, he could still get obamacare health insurance at age 69..and his wscr/audacy low wages would have certainly seen him get that for almost nothing.

he could have married his g-friend and if she works and gets insurance, he likely would have been covered by her health insurance plan.

when it comes to life insurance, i believe every company must offer a basic plan (maybe $30k or maybe 1x your yearly salary) - you must have been on payroll when you died for payout. i'm thinking les' beneficiary qualifies for this. unions will tell members who have a terminal illness not to retire/resign/quit, because life insurance policy becomes null and void, once you are off the payroll.

what i fear is that details emerge that les passed away because of this $600 or that $1,100 that wasn't spent. that's bitterly nonsensical.

from a personal point of view, i'm a cubs fan and enjoyed les the most when he was talking cubs on late summer nights. i believed football passed him by some 25 years ago. the older les got, the more he would steer conversations to be able to pontificate on something that occurred in 1972. is that a criticism? yes. i will still miss his show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:47 am 

pittmike wrote:
RIP. WLS and early score with him was good.

yup, i remember les hosting mike tomczak once a week/late afternoon on wls when the bears were the bears. if 1984-1989 was today, les would have been much more nationally known, due to all the talk sport stations looking to talk to a bear 'insider' - les would have talked bears with radio izvestia from the soviet union.

i still believe that chuck swirsky had a bigger chicago sport talk radio footprint, but that takes nothing from les' history. also a legend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Grote doing a great job with the Les tribute show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:23 am 
1000 CLUB

It was a good listen. Someone mentioned he had been off the air a bit and was sick - was the illness confirmed?

It is outrageous Les was considered a freelancer/contractor. Was this the entire duration of his second run, or was he an employee at some point early on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
I'm curious what he died of. I think it was Bruce I heard saying people close to him were urging him to see a doctor and he didn't go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
It was a good listen. Someone mentioned he had been off the air a bit and was sick - was the illness confirmed?

It is outrageous Les was considered a freelancer/contractor. Was this the entire duration of his second run, or was he an employee at some point early on?

Yes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Feder with a great summary of comments and tributes to Les from his post yesterday morning. Lots of comments from WLS and WLUP radio folks, some TV people as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Thought I heard someone say he worked for AP, wonder if he was paid for each game story, it must not have been much, and the stringer work he did was likely not real lucrative either.

Would assume the sports director at WLS paid OK back in the day?

Sounds like WSCR paid him a minimal amount with no benefits, but was always surprised they kept the overnight spot local when is seems they are increasingly filling weekend spots with national stuff.

Really the last of the old school guys left.

When I was just out of school, I was working on a campaign doing some research on opponent ad buys. I was at whatever station Les was working for at the time. The secretary obviously didn't care and gave me access to files well beyond what I was looking for. I was looking through one file and what do you know but there was a copy of Les contract. Nothing exotic and very boilerplate. I think I recall he was making 50K. This was pre 2000s so not bad.

He might have still been making that at the end.

I know all the talk about it being a dying medium but Parkins said the station was still making eight figures of profit. It's immoral that a full time host, employed for over a decade was being paid per shift wages. Where is the union?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Rongey commented how Les would watch his food in the microwave cooking go round and around.

Les' producer said he got a morning text from Les that he'd be returning to work the night he died.

I-80 Frank who called in a couple times is a member of Les' "wack pack". He and Les got into a big Cutler/McMahon argument recently where Les called him an idiot on-air.

Les probably had something like a heart condition that needed attention and he could of lived well into his 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
vitoscotti wrote:
Rongey commented how Les would watch his food in the microwave cooking go round and around.

Les' producer said he got a morning text from Les that he'd be returning to work the night he died.

I-80 Frank who called in a couple times is a member of Les' "wack pack". He and Les got into a big Cutler/McMahon argument recently where Les called him an idiot on-air.

Les probably had something like a heart condition that needed attention and he could of lived well into his 80s.

Sorry for your loss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 am 
1000 CLUB

Bernstein keeps saying that Les's "real legacy" will be the number of young producers he helped break into the local radio scene.

I really don't think he understands who Les was--or his broader significance within the history of Chicago radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:49 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tom Shaer had a comment about how the BBWAA was shutting radio reporters out of press boxes and Les successfully lobbied to let radio people in. But no, I think his real legacy is Adam Harris.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:13 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Thought I heard someone say he worked for AP, wonder if he was paid for each game story, it must not have been much, and the stringer work he did was likely not real lucrative either.

Sounds like WSCR paid him a minimal amount with no benefits, but was always surprised they kept the overnight spot local when is seems they are increasingly filling weekend spots with national stuff.

When I was just out of school, I was working on a campaign doing some research on opponent ad buys. I was at whatever station Les was working for at the time. The secretary obviously didn't care and gave me access to files well beyond what I was looking for. I was looking through one file and what do you know but there was a copy of Les contract. Nothing exotic and very boilerplate. I think I recall he was making 50K. This was pre 2000s so not bad.

I know all the talk about it being a dying medium but Parkins said the station was still making eight figures of profit. It's immoral that a full time host, employed for over a decade was being paid per shift wages. Where is the union?

If Parkins isn't lying about the profit it's beyond embarrassing that they pushed a Go Fund Me. The station that started as Fans Talking to Fans is now Fuck You Peasants. Nice dose of thoughts and prayers for your troubles when longtime employees die.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I'm sure that Audacy was thrilled with Parkins offering that they're making 8 figures of profit. I never had a chance to listen to overnights, what kind of commercials were running during Les's show?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

If Parkins isn't lying about the profit it's beyond embarrassing that they pushed a Go Fund Me. The station that started as Fans Talking to Fans is now Fuck You Peasants. Nice dose of thoughts and prayers for your troubles when longtime employees die.

daamaneel agrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:26 am 

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:

i tuned in late last week..i believe wednesday & thursday and amy lawrence/cbs radio was on the air. hmmmm...i figured les was on vacation.

i heard he passed away yesterday morning and can't remember who said on the air that les had 'called in sick' late last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am 

thought bernstein was fantastic talking about les today, during transition. bernstein took me back to the mid 90s, when he was an obvious up and coming wscr star.

no woke nonsense. dan was great this transition. hit the nail on the head about les.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

No, it's not immoral at all.

Les worked for a rate he agreed to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Tom Shaer had a comment about how the BBWAA was shutting radio reporters out of press boxes and Les successfully lobbied to let radio people in. But no, I think his real legacy is Adam Harris.

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

We should be honest at least and admit Les hasn't been relevant for a long time. He had to eat a lot of shit to be on the air. So he made the choice to eat shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Didn't Les used to do his own play-by-play for events he covered and use his own broadcast tape recording sound bytes during his sports updates the next day?

Or was that someone else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Does Les' willingness to work at the Score mean that the Score wasn't also mistreating him or acting immorally?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They had a fiduciary duty to kill Les.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm 

Quote:
Laurence Holmes: The first year of my Score career was spent as the overnight producer. I grew up a Steve and Garry fan, so the idea of working with Les Grobstein was a dream. I had a lot of ideas and energy. Les let me explore them. How he treated me was the template for how I treat producers. . . . Once he saw how serious I was about the show, he gave me a chance to be on the air. That changed my life.

Launched Larry's career apparently. Some nice stories in the article.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I was only half-listening but I thought I heard Parkins say that Johnny B was going to be on today to talk about Les.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next