It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Les
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: pieronis
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So other than July what people were on the list?

Mark Grote (+275): The heir apparent to the Grobber. Grote hosted the first overnight show after Grobstein’s passing after doing a scheduled fill-in shift on the midday show. Could Grote do the entire show in Les’ voice? Probably. He is currently the Bears sideline reporter, though doing late nights might be less painful than covering that team every day.

David Schuster (+400): One of Grobstein’s oldest professional friends, Schuster was often the Waldorf to Grobstein’s Statler. I don’t think Schuster, who was laid off by The Score in 2020, would really want this job. But he could do it. Schuster is every bit the Chicago sports encyclopedia his friend was. If Les was there, so was Schuster.

Chris Rongey (+550): What about Rongey? He doesn’t have a full-time job right now, aside from filling in on The Score, and he has the most experience with insane Score callers from his days on the White Sox pre- and postgame show. But in his interview with Grote on Tuesday morning, Rongey sounded like the last person who would want this role. But while he wouldn’t want to admit it, he was born to yell at crazy people late at night on the radio.

Mark Carman (+650): Carman has hosted and produced at WGN (among other places) and now he does videos for FanSided and a Chicago podcast. Carman, an ex-Chicago vendor, is funny, opinionated and probably weird enough to do the job.

Kevin Dziepak (+650): Panayotovich’s dark-horse favorite for the job. The former Score producer/host moved to Houston to work for SportsMap Radio, the national syndicated radio network formerly known as — clears throat — Yahoo! Sports Radio, SB Nation Radio, Sporting News Radio, One on One Sports and Sports Entertainment Network. Could Rosen lure him home with a full-time job that includes the overnight show?

Young Producers (+750): Rosen could just fill the role with a rotating cast of producers who are eager to get on-air reps. If it becomes a Grobber-by-committee job, you can expect producers will shuffle in. Sean Anderson, Sean Sears, just a bunch of dudes named Sean could do the job.

Herb Lawrence (+800): Lawrence is the producer of Laurence Holmes’ afternoon show. Would he give that up to be the next Grobber? Probably not. But he’s opinionated, feisty and smart, a perfect late-night host. Plus, he has experience producing Rongey’s old show.

Nick Shepkowski (+800): Nicky the Kid once beat the Grobber in an on-air sports trivia quiz and it wasn’t close. Grobber is known for his “Rain Man” recall, but really his knowledge was limited to the old days and was often focused on minutiae. Shepkowski, who got laid off by The Score in 2020, is a true sports trivia savant and could carry the show.

Kenneth Davis and Demonze Spruiel (+850): This duo has filled in for the Grobber before. I could definitely see them in the mix for the job.

George Ofman (+1000): Ofman, a sports-radio lifer and Friend of Grobber, wouldn’t need to take any callers. That man can spin a yarn.

Harry Teinowitz (+1175): Teinowitz has been looking for another gig in sports media for a while now. He’s had some recent success as a playwright, co-writing a play about his sobriety with his old partner Spike Manton. Would Teinowitz return to the airwaves to do an overnight show? He used to be able to stay up all night, but that wasn’t in a professional manner. He’s certainly quirky enough to pull it off. I can picture Harry talking about jersey numbers at 4 a.m.

Ben Finfer (+1200): Finfer would probably break the Grobber’s no-politics rule in the first segment. From heaven, Les would be yelling, “Dump him! Dump him!”

Julie DiCaro (+1400): Her Score tenure ended with the 2020 layoffs. She’s also got a job editing at Deadspin and a career as an author. DiCaro has a great radio voice and I always enjoyed going on her evening show which led up to Grobber back in the day. She could pull it off, for sure.

George Castle (+1800): Castle is an unfamiliar name unless you used to read the Times of Northwest Indiana or his many, many Cubs books. He’s more than pedantic enough for the job, but the listeners might mutiny when it’s Bears season and he’s still talking about the 1969 Cubs.

The Field (+2000): A slew of local sports personalities could fit in here. My favorite suggestion is letting Chuck Swirsky go right from Bulls games to the overnight show, with a Mr. Pibb recharge in between.

Jordan Bernfield (+2200): Bernfield worked at The Score and WGN radio before leaving that part of the industry to focus on his budding play-by-play career. Bernfield is part of the post-Grobstein generation of Chicago sportscasters who went to Syracuse instead of Sports Phone University.

Tom Shaer (+3000): The first voice you heard on The Score on Jan. 2, 1992, Shaer is an industry lifer on and off the air. This would be a hat tip to the station’s history.

Ben Rosen (+4400): Mitch Rosen’s son? Hey, nepotism is a Chicago media tradition. Young Rosen is a sports-radio nut, just like his dad.

Rick Telander (+5000): Telander, who writes once or twice a week for the Sun-Times these days, doesn’t need to do an overnight show — and he already had an unpopular turn at The Score — but he was a regular Grobber listener and caller, a true appreciator of the show. Rick’s a night owl and could just tell stories from his house in Highwood and maybe play a little guitar. I envision a regular bit where he prank calls Rick Morrissey at 3 a.m.

Jay Mariotti (+7500): Now that would be appointment listening.

Dan McNeil (off the board): Late Night with Danny Mac? A fourth go-round is probably not happening.

Matt Nagy (off the board): We know the guy can ramble, so he could fill the time slot. Maybe we could get Mark Potash as a co-host to ask a dozen questions to fill the five hours.

Dude...this is absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
+5: WSCR adopts national broadcasts for overnights

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
JoeBlough74 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Mark Grote (+275): The heir apparent to the Grobber. Grote hosted the first overnight show after Grobstein’s passing after doing a scheduled fill-in shift on the midday show. Could Grote do the entire show in Les’ voice? Probably. He is currently the Bears sideline reporter, though doing late nights might be less painful than covering that team every day.

David Schuster (+400): One of Grobstein’s oldest professional friends, Schuster was often the Waldorf to Grobstein’s Statler. I don’t think Schuster, who was laid off by The Score in 2020, would really want this job. But he could do it. Schuster is every bit the Chicago sports encyclopedia his friend was. If Les was there, so was Schuster.

Chris Rongey (+550): What about Rongey? He doesn’t have a full-time job right now, aside from filling in on The Score, and he has the most experience with insane Score callers from his days on the White Sox pre- and postgame show. But in his interview with Grote on Tuesday morning, Rongey sounded like the last person who would want this role. But while he wouldn’t want to admit it, he was born to yell at crazy people late at night on the radio.

Mark Carman (+650): Carman has hosted and produced at WGN (among other places) and now he does videos for FanSided and a Chicago podcast. Carman, an ex-Chicago vendor, is funny, opinionated and probably weird enough to do the job.

Kevin Dziepak (+650): Panayotovich’s dark-horse favorite for the job. The former Score producer/host moved to Houston to work for SportsMap Radio, the national syndicated radio network formerly known as — clears throat — Yahoo! Sports Radio, SB Nation Radio, Sporting News Radio, One on One Sports and Sports Entertainment Network. Could Rosen lure him home with a full-time job that includes the overnight show?

Young Producers (+750): Rosen could just fill the role with a rotating cast of producers who are eager to get on-air reps. If it becomes a Grobber-by-committee job, you can expect producers will shuffle in. Sean Anderson, Sean Sears, just a bunch of dudes named Sean could do the job.

Herb Lawrence (+800): Lawrence is the producer of Laurence Holmes’ afternoon show. Would he give that up to be the next Grobber? Probably not. But he’s opinionated, feisty and smart, a perfect late-night host. Plus, he has experience producing Rongey’s old show.

Nick Shepkowski (+800): Nicky the Kid once beat the Grobber in an on-air sports trivia quiz and it wasn’t close. Grobber is known for his “Rain Man” recall, but really his knowledge was limited to the old days and was often focused on minutiae. Shepkowski, who got laid off by The Score in 2020, is a true sports trivia savant and could carry the show.

Kenneth Davis and Demonze Spruiel (+850): This duo has filled in for the Grobber before. I could definitely see them in the mix for the job.

George Ofman (+1000): Ofman, a sports-radio lifer and Friend of Grobber, wouldn’t need to take any callers. That man can spin a yarn.

Harry Teinowitz (+1175): Teinowitz has been looking for another gig in sports media for a while now. He’s had some recent success as a playwright, co-writing a play about his sobriety with his old partner Spike Manton. Would Teinowitz return to the airwaves to do an overnight show? He used to be able to stay up all night, but that wasn’t in a professional manner. He’s certainly quirky enough to pull it off. I can picture Harry talking about jersey numbers at 4 a.m.

Ben Finfer (+1200): Finfer would probably break the Grobber’s no-politics rule in the first segment. From heaven, Les would be yelling, “Dump him! Dump him!”

Julie DiCaro (+1400): Her Score tenure ended with the 2020 layoffs. She’s also got a job editing at Deadspin and a career as an author. DiCaro has a great radio voice and I always enjoyed going on her evening show which led up to Grobber back in the day. She could pull it off, for sure.

George Castle (+1800): Castle is an unfamiliar name unless you used to read the Times of Northwest Indiana or his many, many Cubs books. He’s more than pedantic enough for the job, but the listeners might mutiny when it’s Bears season and he’s still talking about the 1969 Cubs.

The Field (+2000): A slew of local sports personalities could fit in here. My favorite suggestion is letting Chuck Swirsky go right from Bulls games to the overnight show, with a Mr. Pibb recharge in between.

Jordan Bernfield (+2200): Bernfield worked at The Score and WGN radio before leaving that part of the industry to focus on his budding play-by-play career. Bernfield is part of the post-Grobstein generation of Chicago sportscasters who went to Syracuse instead of Sports Phone University.

Tom Shaer (+3000): The first voice you heard on The Score on Jan. 2, 1992, Shaer is an industry lifer on and off the air. This would be a hat tip to the station’s history.

Ben Rosen (+4400): Mitch Rosen’s son? Hey, nepotism is a Chicago media tradition. Young Rosen is a sports-radio nut, just like his dad.

Rick Telander (+5000): Telander, who writes once or twice a week for the Sun-Times these days, doesn’t need to do an overnight show — and he already had an unpopular turn at The Score — but he was a regular Grobber listener and caller, a true appreciator of the show. Rick’s a night owl and could just tell stories from his house in Highwood and maybe play a little guitar. I envision a regular bit where he prank calls Rick Morrissey at 3 a.m.

Dan McNeil (off the board): Late Night with Danny Mac? A fourth go-round is probably not happening.

Matt Nagy (off the board): We know the guy can ramble, so he could fill the time slot. Maybe we could get Mark Potash as a co-host to ask a dozen questions to fill the five hours.

Dude...this is absolutely brilliant.

Just to be clear--this was from Jon Greenberg's piece in The Athletic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Mike North will be on with Parkins at 5 pm to talk about Les.

[Edit] It turned out to be more about the Score's 30th anniversary; Les was barely mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Mike North will be on with Parkins at 5 pm to talk about Les.

[Edit] It turned out to be more about the Score's 30th anniversary; Les was barely mentioned.

North very conciliatory. North can't be honest being employed down the dial. Interesting comment about hosts working now at the Score, "you've got health insurance".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 pm 

Paul Konerko was great talking about Les' Lee Elia recording. Then, how he still uses Elia's lines. When Mac tweeted about the Score screwing Les some said this isn't the time. My immediate thought was my favorite Elia rant line "rip those motherfuckers!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The Score is broadcasting the funeral tonight at midnight?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
blackhawksfan wrote:
The Score is broadcasting the funeral tonight at midnight?

And 2 and 4. Schuster, Rosen and someone doing the eulogy (only heard it once and can’t remember third). I’m going to miss Les’s show on the random times I was awake for it. Caught a lot of the last half hour over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Am I confusing him with someone else, or did Mitch Rosen produce overnights for Eddie Schwartz at some point?

I think a single 11-5 is too long for anyone. Make it Rongey from 10p-1a, a couple of producers from 1-4, and let Grote do the early bird 4a-7a and go back to sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Am I confusing him with someone else, or did Mitch Rosen produce overnights for Eddie Schwartz at some point?

I think a single 11-5 is too long for anyone. Make it Rongey from 10p-1a, a couple of producers from 1-4, and let Grote do the early bird 4a-7a and go back to sleep.

yes , that's where Mitch paid his dues.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
vitoscotti wrote:

Touching eulogies by David Schuster and Bruce Levine in particular.

One interesting tidbit: Les' sister says that the Score and Audacy have been very supportive following Les' death, "contrary to what you may have heard."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:22 am 

The sister was a card with Les stories. Supportive can mean many things. They almost had to step up with the bad press they got.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's

Syndicated shows will replace Les overnight. There's no way they'll pay all those guys to cover 11-5.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Touching eulogies by David Schuster and Bruce Levine in particular.

One interesting tidbit: Les' sister says that the Score and Audacy have been very supportive following Les' death, "contrary to what you may have heard."

His son told me the same thing when we spoke yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
BigW72 wrote:

Syndicated shows will replace Les overnight. There's no way they'll pay all those guys to cover 11-5.

Few hours local and then rest national.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
vitoscotti wrote:

clicked the link fast forwarded to schumouse.... first word i heard was "evey" - he's still got it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:42 am 

Parkins show yesterday said that they could announce that there was going to be "something" local for Les in the near future. They didnt really go into details but hinted that it would be something like a few hours of something local, but probably not the whole show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
JoeBlough74 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Parkins has really done a terrific job of remembering and paying tribute to Les.

He's got Garry Meier on now after having Brandmeier as a guest yesterday.

As a self-described "radio dork", it's clear that Parkins identified with Les on some level and appreciated his work as well as his place in Chicago radio history. I've found Parkins much more earnest and thoughtful in his commentary on Les than Bernstein was.

Yes, Parkins truly appreciated and respected Les, whereas Bernstein and his superiority complex only enjoyed Les from the viewpoint of him being some carnival side show. And then, in transition, he was assessing his career (in the way only Bernstein can) and I was so pleased that Haugh cut him off from calling him "weird" and said it was disrespectful, and that to say he was anything other than authentic was incorrect. What I do know, is that when it's Bernstein's gone, there won't be a legion of people from multiple generations going out of their way to say how much of a positive impact he had on their life, the way Les did.

that could be the case, i didn't hear bernstein talk about les on monday; when bernstein was given stick from some posters here.

i heard bernstein during am transition on tuesday and he said that les had no concept of time and no concept of sarcasm. explained how that made les what he was. thought he hit the nail on the head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
RFDC wrote:
Parkins show yesterday said that they could announce that there was going to be "something" local for Les in the near future. They didnt really go into details but hinted that it would be something like a few hours of something local, but probably not the whole show.

Yeah, they said it would be local "in a sense" --which could mean they would just replay their own shows/highlights from the daytime? And I guess maybe a short 10-to-midnight shift for someone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 am 

Nardi wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
audacy reports (4q'21) next month...they had over $260 million in liquidity entering 4q'21. the variant will stall revenue progress, but revenues were coming back to pre-covid levels. i would think they could make a kind gesture that won't see them in bk court. private help. if they publicly help les' family, every employee will expect the same; from funds for wisdom teeth extraction to paying for a pet dog's heart surgery - the board wouldn't like that.

it's amazing, bernstein was talking about how les got dirt-cheap airfares from united and offman said les would sleep in his car before paying a motel. sounds like les needed a financial advisor. likely, would have been too proud to admit that.

I don't understand. Les is out covering sports on his own dime?

not sure about what the procedure(s) were/are.

either les tried very hard to save his employers money at the expense of his own comfort or les was given x-amount to cover his expenses and les went the el-cheapo way to pocket the difference.

i can't believe les was covering an nba finals and had to spend his own money for travel, lodging and food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Jaw Breaker wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Yeah, they said it would be local "in a sense" --which could mean they would just replay their own shows/highlights from the daytime? And I guess maybe a short 10-to-midnight shift for someone.

Maybe some podcast replays as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
audacy reports (4q'21) next month...they had over $260 million in liquidity entering 4q'21. the variant will stall revenue progress, but revenues were coming back to pre-covid levels. i would think they could make a kind gesture that won't see them in bk court. private help. if they publicly help les' family, every employee will expect the same; from funds for wisdom teeth extraction to paying for a pet dog's heart surgery - the board wouldn't like that.

it's amazing, bernstein was talking about how les got dirt-cheap airfares from united and offman said les would sleep in his car before paying a motel. sounds like les needed a financial advisor. likely, would have been too proud to admit that.

I don't understand. Les is out covering sports on his own dime?

not sure about what the procedure(s) were/are.

either les tried very hard to save his employers money at the expense of his own comfort or les was given x-amount to cover his expenses and les went the el-cheapo way to pocket the difference.

i can't believe les was covering an nba finals and had to spend his own money for travel, lodging and food.

I’ve worked around a number of guys (usually sub-contractors) that were given $x per day to cover travel expenses, and they almost always figured out ways to come in way under that amount and thus came home with a nice “bonus”. Hotels with free breakfast, a fridge and a microwave are very popular in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 am 

yes, i would believe that...makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am 

Bernsie was telling stories the other day about how Les was famous for finding deals on airlines, food, etc and he wouldnt ever give up how he was always able to get such good deals on things.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I think what others said is probably right, it would be much cheaper and easier to fill the spot with CBS Sports Radio content. However, if Mitch is going to keep it local, I could see someone without a sports gig wanting the slot. I looked up Ben Finfer and he's a "Communications Specialist" at some suburban school district. Curiously enough, Shepkowski also seems to have a similar position.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm 

Whoever the new host is they're going to need a lot of patience coping with Les' regular group of "wack pack" callers who are quite eccentric. Will be interesting if this will be it for bright caller "Lou from Buffalo Grove" (Les' son Scott).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
vitoscotti wrote:

Feder has covered Les quite well and I thought the interview with Dan Bindert was just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:42 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next