It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole Foods Englewood
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
In a shocking move no one saw coming . Great opportunity for Danny Parkins and company .

The corner of 63rd and Halsted streets in the Englewood neighborhood was once among the mightiest shopping districts in the Chicago area.

It was a half-scale version of the Loop, with major department stores, jewelers, movie theaters, clothiers and grocery stores.

But nearly all that commerce withered away and ultimately vanished between 1970 and 1990 as chains such as Sears and Wieboldt’s hit hard times, and the suburban mall and multiplex began poaching shoppers and movie-goers.

If 63rd and Halsted can rebuild from this, starting with the opening of Englewood Square Shopping Center six years ago, it can certainly come back from Whole Foods announcing plans last week to shut down its store in the 5-acre mall.

Which isn’t to say we should shrug off the closing as no big deal, particularly since the store was widely seen — and pitched by Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration — as an oasis in the South Side food and fresh produce desert when it opened in 2016.

But it’s not the end of the world. Whole Foods vacating the space gives the city and Englewood Square’s developer Leon Walker a shot at getting in a grocer that’s a better match for the neighborhood in terms of selection and pricing.

Store once ‘showed real promise’

Whole Foods said the Englewood location and one in the DePaul University Welcome Center in Lincoln Park are among six underperforming U.S. stores it planned to close in the upcoming months.

The day before the closing was announced, Amazon, which owns Whole Foods, said it had its first quarterly loss since 2015. But the company did not say if the loss led to the planned shut-downs.

“As we continue to position Whole Foods Market for long-term success, we regularly evaluate the performance and growth potential of each of our stores, and we have made the difficult decision to close six stores,” Whole Foods said in an issued statement.

That’s a pretty mealy-mouthed response that borders on insult, given Englewood residents worked with the company three years prior to the location’s opening, figuring out the store’s design, artwork, a jobs program — even the types of prepared food the store would sell.

“It showed real promise, and I think it continues to show real promise of how retailers could meet community needs and work with the community to help design something that was unique and important,” Cecile DeMello, executive director of Teamwork Englewood, said last week.

But for Whole Foods to walk away from all those community expectations — not to mention the time residents spent helping — without a sit-down with Englewood customers and a full explanation is wrong.

“When I think about other communities on the North Side in Streeterville and River North, they have multiple grocery stores,” Ald. Stephanie Coleman (16th) said. “From Englewood to Edgewater, we should have the same opportunities, the same resources, the same retail opportunities as any other no matter what our ZIP code is.” The other neighborhood grocery option is an Aldi’s near 63rd and Wallace.

Lashay Shambley, 21, a bank employee who gets lunch from the Englewood Whole Foods: “There’s nothing but Popeyes, McDonald’s and Wendy’s. I kind of looked toward Whole Foods for like a healthy escape,” she said.

‘The community needs a grocery store’

Englewood Square’s other establishments, including Starbucks, Chipotle and DTLR fashion outlet, are still in business.

But for all it was, the Englewood Whole Foods could have been a better fit.

Residents said when the store opened, it offered cheaper prices than in other Whole Foods locations. But prices eventually rose.

“Whole Foods was just expensive,” Ald. Jeanette Taylor (20th) said. “And a lot of people did not shop there.”

Woodlawn community activist Naomi Davis was critical of the Whole Foods location from the start, telling Marketplace in 2016, “I wonder why a local fresh market purveyor wasn’t targeted for that spot?I concern myself with that we are not thinking about community wealth building.”

Then there’s this: City Council’s agreement that sold the parcel at 63rd and Halsted for redevelopment at a price of $1.00 required a grocery store be located on the site until 2027.

So the hunt should be on for a new, affordable grocer who wants to move in once Whole Foods is out.

And the city must now help lead the search or keep a sharp eye on it, given the Emanuel administration poured $26 million in tax increment financing funds and federal tax credits approved by the city in order to get Englewood Square built.

“We’ve got to do something, though,” Taylor said. “We cannot waste that TIF money. And the community needs a grocery store.”

She’s right.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I love Alderman Taylor. She's still a little green, but she's backs up her words with action.

That was the worst possible location to put a high priced grocery store in. It was guaranteed to fail.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It never made sense and always felt like some sort of grift. I hope they can get a decent grocery store down there.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Amazon owns Whole Foods and also has Amazon Fresh grocery stores. There's a fairly new one in Naperville on route 59 where Dominick's used to be. It's not far from the Whole Foods location on 75th street, so I assume they serve a different customer base. My wife and I keep meaning to stop by there on the way home from her oncology appointments. I'm surprised Whole Foods isn't converting it to an Amazon Fresh store.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
How big is the store? Bezos should donate it and the community should run it. See if it works.

I don't like Amazon Fresh stores and Whole Foods has gone down since Amazon bought them. I'd only go for certain things at certain times but they'd fail in a lot of places. They are pretty well placed, whoever did the location studies did well.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Trying to find hard working employees who regularly show up must be a chore. The shoplifting must be extremely high with heavy expenditures on security and loss prevention.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:19 am 

Whole Foods sucks everywhere besides the food bar.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Brick wrote:

I genuinely had the impression you were a Whole Foods / Trader Joe's guy given your disdain for Walmart.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
How many times was it looted?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:48 am 

pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:

I genuinely had the impression you were a Whole Foods / Trader Joe's guy given your disdain for Walmart.

Trader Joe's is alright. I just never saw the point of paying 25% more at Whole Foods for the same stuff you can get at a supermarket just because it was branded better and the produce section looked nicer.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
How many times was it looted?

They don’t sell Jordans or menthols so it was safe

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I went there once. Around this time of year they always have skirt steak on sale for a pretty good price for Cinco de mayo presumably. I like to stock up at that point and vacuum seal the shit. The few by me were out of it and they don't issue rainchecks so i started calling around to see if any locations had any, and they did. There was a security guard at the door which wasn't exactly inviting . But the workers were nice, when I called I asked for the butcher and he had the quantity I asked for ready when I got there.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Apart Pizza
Sunday Morning. EASY, like a Sunday Morning...usually head over to the gay whole foods and assemble a to go Breakfast from the breakfast bar.

choices from 2 types of eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, frenh toast, oatmeal, gravy, home fries....yeah, you know BREAKFAST...just like everywhere else! Easy, simple! There is no gourmet breakfast its just breakfast, some better than others, but its the same thing??

I think they charge $8.99 a pound. Not even sure, but when I get my food and a drink it is usually $10-11.

Today came a disruption in the force. The bacon is not wrapped in 3 slice packs (small slices I may add) and is now $2 extra !1 $2 EXTRA AT THE ALL YOU CAN EAT BAR!!!!! UNAMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Bagels wrote:
I went there once. Around this time of year they always have skirt steak on sale for a pretty good price for Cinco de mayo presumably. I like to stock up at that point and vacuum seal the shit. The few by me were out of it and they don't issue rainchecks so i started calling around to see if any locations had any, and they did. There was a security guard at the door which wasn't exactly inviting . But the workers were nice, when I called I asked for the butcher and he had the quantity I asked for ready when I got there.

You want skirt steak you gotta hit La Rosita on 159th street 3 blocks east of Halsted.. marinated, best Ive ever had..blows away marianos, whole foods or any other plaxe in the region.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:49 pm 

I can make my own damn marinade, thank you very much

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:11 pm 

Bagels wrote:
I can make my own damn marinade, thank you very much

Not as good as them, try it out.. they dont take link, only store on harvey that doesnt take it..that is how good their food is.. always swamped.. lil pricey for the skirt steak though 14 bucks a pound.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I order my skirt steak from Barraco's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

do they take link ?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Bagels wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

do they take link ?

I suppose they'd let him in as long as he didn't pick a fight with a cashier about some random nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:

The food bar at Whole Foods seems designed to attract as many insects as possible.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:29 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

do they take link ?

I suppose they'd let him in as long as he didn't pick a fight with a cashier about some random nonsense.

What is link?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:31 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Brick wrote:

The food bar at Whole Foods seems designed to attract as many insects as possible.

Insects have a high protein to weight ratio making them a quality addition to weight based food pricing systems.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hawg Ass wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
do they take link ?
What is link?
It's missing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

do they take link ?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 pm 

Ive been to the one on 63rd 4 or 5 x and the one on lake park a few times.. saw no difference, but that is the only times Ive been in a Whole foods.. I was a Marianos guy but Ive seen the quality at Marianos nosedive over the last 6 or 7 months.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:10 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Hawg Ass wrote:
What is link?

http://www.google.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=illinoi ... e&ie=UTF-8
Food stamps.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
There was no way that Whole Foods Englewood was ever going to compete with the Aldi's Megastore located up the street at 63rd and Lowe.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Grocery chains will transfer suburban workers to the southside of Chicago as punishment in an effort to get them to quit.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 am 

One quarterly loss since 2015?

I wonder how it stacks up in comparison to the one being closed at DePaul/Lincoln Park?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
One quarterly loss since 2015?

I wonder how it stacks up in comparison to the one being closed at DePaul/Lincoln Park?

Are you serious? Do you mean the corp or the store?