It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mississippi River
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
McCareins_Fan wrote:
Wisconsin is such an ass-backwards shithole. Anti-democratic state government, will be the last state to legalize weed, shitty "lakes" clogged with blue algae, worst drivers in the Midwest, not many stunners to gaze at, shitty bar food as a cuisine, faux-Bavarian/Swiss kitsch culture as a tourist economy...glad my dad sold his place and left. No reason to go there unless you really like New Glarus' Thumbprint series.

Mostly correct but I'm glad we bought a place and go as often as we can. I enjoy counting the number of trump signs on the 6 mile drive to the supper club and seeing turkey in my yard instead of possums.

And I would rate upper midwest drivers differently. Best to worst:
1. Michigan
2. Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin (TIE)
5. Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Not only do you get the sense Michigan drives better than the surrounding states traveling there--the 75 MPH+ speed limits help--but the numbers back it up. Michigan's consistently in the top 3 states in the country in insurance company rankings of drivers. Illinois drivers not far behind. And Missouri does well too, among the quasi-midwestern states. Ohio consistently worst drivers among the rust belt/midwestern states and in the country. Probably part of the reason non-Ohioans hate Ohio people--driving through their state sucks donkey balls. Ohio cops are nazi shitheads who pull you over for 5 over the limit and no one in the state can drive normally.

Best: Michigan/Illinois/Missouri

Worst: Iowa/Wisconsin/Ohio/Minnesota

Indiana jumps around the rankings, usually in the middle of the pack

Driving back and forth from Tennessee to Detroit I switched from taking 75 to 71 to 65 through Hell-hio to 94-69-65 through Indiana and it's usually a more enjoyable drive. Although Indianapolis had insane construction going on last time through which included dead-end closing some of the connecting freeways downtown Indy---who closes an entire interstate for construction? Maybe because of the elevated freeway thing.

The stretch of 71 between 75 and Louisville some of the most fun driving I've had. Never any cops, so you can go as fast as your vehicle permits, with the caveat that if you're doing 110 through those turns and over the hills there's a good chance you'll come around a turn or over a hill and run smack into a slower-moving truck with no easy way around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:54 am 

As a frequent cross country driver, I agree Ohio is the absolute worst, especially in the stretch between Toledo and Cleveland.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
As a frequent cross country driver, I agree Ohio is the absolute worst, especially in the stretch between Toledo and Cleveland.

As a recently frequent cross country driver, it's southern truck drivers, upstate NY and Indiana for me.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
As a daily commuter from northern Lake County, the people of Wisconsin are the scourge of my being. Indiana is a close second...

Michigan drivers are generally quite delightful though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Truck drivers in this area aren't great either. Daily I see truckers in the left lane on 294 and the Kennedy.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Truck drivers in this area aren't great either. Daily I see truckers in the left lane on 294 and the Kennedy.

Truck drivers are a whole different issue. At one point on my drive to work yesterday morning, we had semis 4 wide in the construction area around 60 and 294. It was delightful

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Chicago expressway drivers are quite talented except for the weekends when the tourists take to the roads. And it only takes a couple JORRs going 54MPH in the left lanes deciding they have an exit coming up in a half mile to fuck things up.

Yes, and trucks. It was a bad mistake to ruin our railway system. Now it's just a disjointed train on the expressways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
crotch rocket riders in any state can GTFO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:56 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

As a recently frequent cross country driver, it's southern truck drivers, upstate NY and Indiana for me.

where does your daughter go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Pretty much all motorists suck. Buy a bicycle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
Chicago expressway drivers are quite talented except for the weekends when the tourists take to the roads. And it only takes a couple JORRs going 54MPH in the left lanes deciding they have an exit coming up in a half mile to fuck things up.

Yes, and trucks. It was a bad mistake to ruin our railway system. Now it's just a disjointed train on the expressways.

Virtually all highway traffic issues come down to following too close. I rarely touch my brakes on an expressway because I'm not a half inch from another guy's bumper like I'm driving at Talladega. But idiots behind me get all anxious and want me to close the gap. I suppose so they can arrive at their destination .05 seconds sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:
My dad lived across Castle Rock Lake from Denis $$$bags. So many 3-5,000 square foot vacation homes that sit empty 11 months per year. Such a waste.

Even my GED-holding stepmom would say "the local people here are fucked up and gross". A ringing endorsement from someone who mangles the English language like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. Addison's finest!

I feel like that area is, and I forgot the mathematical term for it, where you're as far as you can be from a city before you start getting closer to another city instead. But I guess that makes some people happy!

MCCareins you mean like Germantown? Curious there is a lot of wilderness near Denis but it won’t last too long. Just like anywhere else people say let’s all go up there it is great. Then change it. :lol:

Yeah. I guess I can be more specific, because my family's moved on. Off of County Highway G, on the lake side. There is one of those hilarious manmade "lakes" in the middle of the loop the street network forms there.

I was just in Michigan (east coast of Lake Michigan and Detroit) and the drivers surprised me with how nice they were. The MI drivers I see in MN and WI are always hustling, but I guess they're trying to get back there in a day or less. MN, where I live part-time now, has not so much more aggressive drivers but passive aggressive dipshits. Like you're in a rural area on a four lane highway, and some OPE comes bombing up behind you, tailgates for a few miles, then veers into the left lane and sits in your blind spot until you catch up to slower traffic in the right hand lane. where then, I throw on my blinker and move over, causing them to slow down and throw up their hands in anger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Virtually all highway traffic issues come down to following too close. I rarely touch my brakes on an expressway because I'm not a half inch from another guy's bumper like I'm driving at Talladega. But idiots behind me get all anxious and want me to close the gap. I suppose so they can arrive at their destination .05 seconds sooner.

I enjoy getting there .05 seconds sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I don't want to sound as old as you do, but excessive speeding and braking lead to more maintenance costs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I don't want to sound as old as you do, but excessive speeding and braking lead to more maintenance costs.

You failed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

You failed.

:lol: :lol: I know. I've been an old soul who did "young people" shit most of my life. Now, I'm migrating to old man territory far too often for my liking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
crotch rocket riders in any state can GTFO

Thank you.
Crotch rocket riders give motorcyclists a really bad rep.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

This is exactly right. Ask any trucker and they'll tell you the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:45 pm 

Nashville has to be the worst of this country outside of LA. Permanent gridlock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Nashville has to be the worst of this country outside of LA. Permanent gridlock.

LA is the undisputed #1.

My experience doesn't cover all cities, but Atlanta and Dallas are worse than Chicago.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

LA is the undisputed #1.

My experience doesn't cover all cities, but Atlanta and Dallas are worse than Chicago.

Yeah, Atlanta is heinous. I think I-75 is 12 lanes wide in each direction and it still can be a parking lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

LA is the undisputed #1.

Yeah, Atlanta is heinous. I think I-75 is 12 lanes wide in each direction and it still can be a parking lot.

Even during the pandemic, it was a parking lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:50 pm 

Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

LA is the undisputed #1.

Even during the pandemic, it was a parking lot.

Atlanta was horrible even when they expanded 75/85 back in the day. Thankfully I lived in NE Atlanta and could get off before hitting what passes for downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:05 pm 

As much as I love Houston, I always forget how painful the traffic is there. Even at 6am.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, all cities with poor zoning and a lack of robust public transit. Of course Chicago traffic can't be worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Atlanta's crazy bad when it comes to urban planning. I think they just throw down new roads wherever some developer requests them. They have surface streets running parallel to other roads but you can't easily go from one to the other--even tho they are 20 feet apart.

Dallas is fine if you're in the city itself. Not much traffic and plenty of unused roads. It's when you go outside the city to where the people and jobs are that traffic snarls to a standstill on a limited number of roads. The Deep Ellum constant boom/bust cycle has to be drug related. It goes from being a grungy bar and music venue district a la Wickertucky in the 90's-early 2000's with constant crime to a Bucktown style high end retail and dining district with constant crime and then it all falls back to the bar/music/crime thing every 5 years or so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:57 pm 

Hussra wrote:
The Deep Ellum constant boom/bust cycle has to be drug related.

I love it when you analyze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Abbey Pub
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Is "we can't ship goods down the Mississippi River" a problem? I think it is. And I think it's a bigger problem for The People, the good Americans, than it is for the bad ones who just work in HR and make TikToks. You can't report a commodity to HR.

We lose most of our crops, notably corn and soybeans, but we also lose St. Louis so there is a silver lining.

St. Louis is the home of Budweiser. It's an incredibly hard working town. We need to have signs indicating we have these products and have our bartenders be able to pour a proper beer to even have a chance at succeeding. Phil, head behind the bar. Chef, take a look at the kitchen. We have to see exactly how low these water levels are. I'm not sure even *I* can save you now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
McCareins_Fan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:
My dad lived across Castle Rock Lake from Denis $$$bags. So many 3-5,000 square foot vacation homes that sit empty 11 months per year. Such a waste.

Even my GED-holding stepmom would say "the local people here are fucked up and gross". A ringing endorsement from someone who mangles the English language like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. Addison's finest!

I feel like that area is, and I forgot the mathematical term for it, where you're as far as you can be from a city before you start getting closer to another city instead. But I guess that makes some people happy!

MCCareins you mean like Germantown? Curious there is a lot of wilderness near Denis but it won’t last too long. Just like anywhere else people say let’s all go up there it is great. Then change it. :lol:

Yeah. I guess I can be more specific, because my family's moved on. Off of County Highway G, on the lake side. There is one of those hilarious manmade "lakes" in the middle of the loop the street network forms there.

I was just in Michigan (east coast of Lake Michigan and Detroit) and the drivers surprised me with how nice they were. The MI drivers I see in MN and WI are always hustling, but I guess they're trying to get back there in a day or less. MN, where I live part-time now, has not so much more aggressive drivers but passive aggressive dipshits. Like you're in a rural area on a four lane highway, and some OPE comes bombing up behind you, tailgates for a few miles, then veers into the left lane and sits in your blind spot until you catch up to slower traffic in the right hand lane. where then, I throw on my blinker and move over, causing them to slow down and throw up their hands in anger.

There are very few large houses. The vast majority of people that live here full time and that vacation here in second homes have small places with trailers being the most common form of housing. I purposely avoided a McMansion and targeted 1,800-2,500 square feet. I ended up being a 2,200 square foot log cabin. I agree that some build these crazy houses to visit a few times a year.

CH is somewhat right in that Castle Rock is exactly three hours from MSP and ORD and 2.5 hours from Milwaukee's airport. Perfectly in the middle.

The man made lake guy is an eccentric. I met him at the lake and home show. He advertises his properties as being by Castle Rock and on a lake. But he has built ponds with beaches. It is quite funny how many people fall for it. You buy a few blocks from a 14,000 square foot lake to live on a pond....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next