It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mississippi River
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Climate Change was very bad in the late 30s/early 40s, then it stopped and got bad again in the mid-60s, now it is an emergency that demands you consume cicadas and use kerosense lamps. China and India will continue to grow more prosperous. Only Europe and the U.S. are Climate Criminals.

Quote:
The river gauge at St. Louis has an observed value of -0.74 feet, 17th lowest on record (-6.10 feet on 01/16/1940 is record low).

Memphis, Tennessee’s river gauge has an observed value of -8.73 feet, 4th lowest on record (-10.70 feet on 02/10/1937 is record low).

Greenville, Mississippi (near where the river has been closed) has a river level of 7.75 feet, 6th lowest on record (6.70 feet is record low on 01/04/1964).

Fourth National Climate Assessment wrote:
The quality and quantity of water available for use by people and ecosystems across the country are being affected by climate change, increasing risks and costs to agriculture, energy production, industry, recreation, and the environment.

Rising air and water temperatures and changes in precipitation are intensifying droughts, increasing heavy downpours, reducing snowpack, and causing declines in surface water quality, with varying impacts across regions. Future warming will add to the stress on water supplies and adversely impact the availability of water in parts of the United States. Changes in the relative amounts and timing of snow and rainfall are leading to mismatches between water availability and needs in some regions, posing threats to, for example, the future reliability of hydropower production in the Southwest and the Northwest. Groundwater depletion is exacerbating drought risk in many parts of the United States, particularly in the Southwest and Southern Great Plains. Dependable and safe water supplies for U.S. Caribbean, Hawai‘i, and U.S.-Affiliated Pacific Island communities are threatened by drought, flooding, and saltwater contamination due to sea level rise. Most U.S. power plants rely on a steady supply of water for cooling, and operations are expected to be affected by changes in water availability and temperature increases. Aging and deteriorating water infrastructure, typically designed for past environmental conditions, compounds the climate risk faced by society. Water management strategies that account for changing climate conditions can help reduce present and future risks to water security, but implementation of such practices remains limited.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:40 pm 

Just wait until the usual paranoid conspiracy theorist is back to tell us about how the western states are here to usurp the Great Lakes. And how this is the tipping point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Climate Change might be the most perfect herring ever invented. It covers ever possibility and allows Gore and all elites to preach as they jet around. Even if you get everyone to agree you can’t even fix it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Just wait until the usual paranoid conspiracy theorist is back to tell us about how the western states are here to usurp the Great Lakes. And how this is the tipping point.

The most active thing I have seen discussed, and barely at that, was a pipeline from the mouth of Mississippi and this might show a potential long term flaw of that (Beyond how much energy it would take to pump water over the Continental divide). Guess I'm glad I sell our grain for local consumption.

We are only down about 8 inches of depth up here which is far from historic and driving over near the QC you would never think it is low, but I think the Illinois, Ohio and Missouri are running lower than usual so the further downstream you get the worse it gets and 8 inches lower than normal on all the feeder rivers adds up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Being a hypocrite is bad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
My favorite song by Alabama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
pittmike wrote:
Climate Change might be the most perfect herring ever invented. It covers ever possibility and allows Gore and all elites to preach as they jet around. Even if you get everyone to agree you can’t even fix it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
pittmike wrote:

:lol: I’ll let you give us the perfect cure professor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Climate Change was very bad in the late 30s/early 40s, then it stopped and got bad again in the mid-60s, now it is an emergency that demands you consume cicadas and use kerosense lamps. China and India will continue to grow more prosperous. Only Europe and the U.S. are Climate Criminals.

Quote:
The river gauge at St. Louis has an observed value of -0.74 feet, 17th lowest on record (-6.10 feet on 01/16/1940 is record low).

Memphis, Tennessee’s river gauge has an observed value of -8.73 feet, 4th lowest on record (-10.70 feet on 02/10/1937 is record low).

Greenville, Mississippi (near where the river has been closed) has a river level of 7.75 feet, 6th lowest on record (6.70 feet is record low on 01/04/1964).

The quality and quantity of water available for use by people and ecosystems across the country are being affected by climate change, increasing risks and costs to agriculture, energy production, industry, recreation, and the environment.

Rising air and water temperatures and changes in precipitation are intensifying droughts, increasing heavy downpours, reducing snowpack, and causing declines in surface water quality, with varying impacts across regions. Future warming will add to the stress on water supplies and adversely impact the availability of water in parts of the United States. Changes in the relative amounts and timing of snow and rainfall are leading to mismatches between water availability and needs in some regions, posing threats to, for example, the future reliability of hydropower production in the Southwest and the Northwest. Groundwater depletion is exacerbating drought risk in many parts of the United States, particularly in the Southwest and Southern Great Plains. Dependable and safe water supplies for U.S. Caribbean, Hawai‘i, and U.S.-Affiliated Pacific Island communities are threatened by drought, flooding, and saltwater contamination due to sea level rise. Most U.S. power plants rely on a steady supply of water for cooling, and operations are expected to be affected by changes in water availability and temperature increases. Aging and deteriorating water infrastructure, typically designed for past environmental conditions, compounds the climate risk faced by society. Water management strategies that account for changing climate conditions can help reduce present and future risks to water security, but implementation of such practices remains limited.

Is the Mississippi historically low? Are you now going to say you weren't suggesting it was and using that as evidence of Climate Change?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:43 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Is "we can't ship goods down the Mississippi River" a problem? I think it is. And I think it's a bigger problem for The People, the good Americans, than it is for the bad ones who just work in HR and make TikToks. You can't report a commodity to HR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Is "we can't ship goods down the Mississippi River" a problem? I think it is. And I think it's a bigger problem for The People, the good Americans, than it is for the bad ones who just work in HR and make TikToks. You can't report a commodity to HR.

We lose most of our crops, notably corn and soybeans, but we also lose St. Louis so there is a silver lining.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:47 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
pittmike wrote:
312player wrote:
Cashman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Great Lakes still high. Chicago wins again

Wait until all these states wanna tap into those.

States have tried for 20 years to tap into the great lakes.

Biden might try to executively order that the Great Lakes belong to all.

And then we unite the clans and lead the great Megalopolis secession.

might even bring some of those canadians into the mix, eh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:19 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

Is the Mississippi historically low? Are you now going to say you weren't suggesting it was and using that as evidence of Climate Change?

Did you actually read the excerpt from NCA4? You seem to be struggling with reading comprehension lately.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Brick wrote:
but we also lose St. Louis so there is a silver lining.

St Louis, like Florida and Ohio, serve the very important purpose of housing people of the ilk who would voluntarily reside in those hells. If you lose St Louis (or Florida or Ohio), the people who used to live there might end up moving in next door and there goes the neighborhood. Nothing kills property values of a neighborhood faster than an Ohioan, Floridian or St. Loozian moving in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Good thing Daley isn’t around to sell water rights to any state willing to work with his cronies.

I don't think there's much to sell, at least legally. The so-called "Chicago diversion", which appears to be mostly used to flush the collective toilet of Chicago, has been litigated and limited first by the Supreme Court and most recently codified by the Great Lakes Compact. Might be able to legally sell up the limit of the diversion; but then you'd have to find a way to transport Chicago's shit downstate, which currently happens via the diversion feeding the Chicago river and dumping Chicago's shit all over downstate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:25 am 

Hussra wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Good thing Daley isn’t around to sell water rights to any state willing to work with his cronies.

I don't think there's much to sell, at least legally. The so-called "Chicago diversion", which appears to be mostly used to flush the collective toilet of Chicago, has been litigated and limited first by the Supreme Court and most recently codified by the Great Lakes Compact. Might be able to legally sell up the limit of the diversion; but then you'd have to find a way to transport Chicago's shit downstate, which currently happens via the diversion feeding the Chicago river and dumping Chicago's shit all over downstate.

Downstate should be grateful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

Did you actually read the excerpt from NCA4? You seem to be struggling with reading comprehension lately.

I read it. You're doing that thing that all Climate Alarmists do. Anything that could possibly be construed as evidence of Climate Change is proof that we must radically reduce our standards of living and give more power to a certain class of people. Anything that suggests the opposite is dismissed. For example, "Weather is NOT climate" until weather can be used to support your demands for drastic action in response to Climate Change.

Can we agree the Mississippi is not currently historically low?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
And there we go.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
bUt ItS jUsT wEaThEr !!!!!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

I read it. You're doing that thing that all Climate Alarmists do. Anything that could possibly be construed as evidence of Climate Change is proof that we must radically reduce our standards of living and give more power to a certain class of people. Anything that suggests the opposite is dismissed. For example, "Weather is NOT climate" until weather can be used to support your demands for drastic action in response to Climate Change.

Can we agree the Mississippi is not currently historically low?

Do you think that climate change increases the probability of extreme weather like hurricanes and drought or not? And where did I say that "we must radically reduce our standards of living and give more power to a certain class of people?" I ask because I'm quite certain I've said nothing of the kind here. I also ask because we had this precise exchange not too long ago in another thread, where I outlined pretty clearly what steps I thought should be taken immediately in response to climate change, and none of them are what you describe above. And finally, I also ask because climate change is already impacting the standard of living for many in the U.S., yet you continue to pretend that it is only "radical" responses to climate change that will do so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Do you think that climate change increases the probability of extreme weather like hurricanes

I don't know, but if that's your main indicator then we probably aren't experiencing climate change because there aren't more hurricanes or "more intense" hurricanes than there ever were.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Do you think that climate change increases the probability of extreme weather like hurricanes

I don't know, but if that's your main indicator then we probably aren't experiencing climate change because there aren't more hurricanes or "more intense" hurricanes than there ever were.

How do you know that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
How significant is the human impact on climate change? That answer is all over the place. It is hard to figure out what data is objective. Why? It is rare for someone to pay for a study and publish results that are different than the ones they desired.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How do you know that?

They've been keeping track going back to the turn of the 20th Century. In fact, this was an extremely slow hurricane season. I suppose that fact itself might be evidence of climate change. I'm sure it's evidence for Climate Change.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
How significant is the human impact on climate change? That answer is all over the place. It is hard to figure out what data is objective. Why? It is rare for someone to pay for a study and publish results that are different than the ones they desired.

I don't know. I don't claim to know. But what I'm against is making snap decisions that drastically alter our lives and society the way we did to "fight COVID." Because you see where we are now with that. Those that made the mistakes suffer no consequences and are just allowed to shrug and maybe say "sorry." Maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know. I don't claim to know. But what I'm against is making snap decisions that drastically alter our lives and society the way we did to "fight COVID." Because you see where we are now with that. Those that made the mistakes suffer no consequences and are just allowed to shrug and maybe say "sorry." Maybe.

Our capitalist society has always done this. In fact, it demands it. Our world and its technology looks drastically different every 10 to 15 years. The cries of the older generation are drowned out by the excitement from the "kids".

If I'm not mistaken, by the time we're about 25, we are older than most of the people in the world. We're old as fuck. No one gives a shit about our dislike of change beyond a politician pandering for our vote.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

But we do know that sea level is rising and that damage from coastal storms, including hurricanes, is therefore likely to become more severe and costly in the coming decades. So should "we" as a society continue to use public resources to rebuild along vulnerable coastlines for the disproportionate benefit of wealthy property owners? And what should we do about an urban area like New Orleans that sits below sea level? Are we going to use expensive coastal armoring strategies to address issues there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

But we do know that sea level is rising and that damage from coastal storms, including hurricanes, is therefore likely to become more severe and costly in the coming decades. So should "we" as a society continue to use public resources to rebuild along vulnerable coastlines for the disproportionate benefit of wealthy property owners? And what should we do about an urban area like New Orleans that sits below sea level? Are we going to use expensive coastal armoring strategies to address issues there?

People with money understand this as well. It's why in many of these areas, they are raising the rent and other costs to drive out the poor and lower middle class.

Edit: who live off the coast

Last edited by Nas on Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How do you know that?

They've been keeping track going back to the turn of the 20th Century. In fact, this was an extremely slow hurricane season. I suppose that fact itself might be evidence of climate change. I'm sure it's evidence for Climate Change.

Your facts don't seem to be quite right. I'm pretty sure hurricane frequency in the North Atlantic has increased in 1980, though this increase is not currently linked to climate change. The frequency of "intense" hurricanes is expected to increase as climate change intensifies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You see Fauci say he had nothing to do with the school closures and he didn't want to say it was a mistake on this week?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
all the retardness of this shit heap, encapsulated in one thread. congrats, we did it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next