It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: News Nation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
The retreat in the third hour comes in response to dismally low ratings for the news startup, which branded itself as an antidote to the opinionated talking heads of other cable networks in primetime. According to Nielsen figures for December, “News Nation” averaged only 54,000 viewers for the full three-hour block, with viewership in the third hour falling to 38,000.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/01/05/ ... ws-nation/

Won't be long now.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Post subject: Re: News Nation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
so that's where tom negovan went? and the korean lady from that windy city live show is on here.... that's a lot of crew for 50k viewers

https://www.newsnationnow.com/meet-the-team/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Quote:
averaged only 54,000 viewers for the full three-hour block, with viewership in the third hour falling to 38,000.

this is a national broadcast? Meanwhile Tim Pool's bogative youtube show pulling in 10x those numbers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation still going strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:29 pm 

Three hours of what appears to be straight news?

Look, I'm all for a news outlet that will play it as straight as possible, but there is no way that on any given day there is more than 5-10 minutes of actual "news" that is necessary for consumption, much less three hours.

All of the people who say they are watching the "news" whether they are tuning into Fox News or MSNBC, they aren't actually consuming news, they are consuming hours upon hours of gasbags aimlessly talking until the next commercial break.

I'm not surprised that a straight news program is getting incredibly low ratings, because 90% of the time, what happened on a given day isn't all that compelling, interesting, or quite frankly newsworthy. News done right should be boring, but when there are much more entertaining options out there, boring gets creamed in the ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:39 pm 

One Post wrote:

Look, I'm all for a news outlet that will play it as straight as possible, but there is no way that on any given day there is more than 5-10 minutes of actual "news" that is necessary for consumption, much less three hours.

All of the people who say they are watching the "news" whether they are tuning into Fox News or MSNBC, they aren't actually consuming news, they are consuming hours upon hours of gasbags aimlessly talking until the next commercial break.

I'm not surprised that a straight news program is getting incredibly low ratings, because 90% of the time, what happened on a given day isn't all that compelling, interesting, or quite frankly newsworthy. News done right should be boring, but when there are much more entertaining options out there, boring gets creamed in the ratings.

It's also national news on a station you can't find. They went with the old business model of expensive sets, anchors and long form. It's not quite as bad as a morning cartoon show for boomers, or maybe it is.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Maybe we should combine them and have Bill Leff and Toony the Talking Tuna deliver the most unbiased newscast of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:56 pm 

One Post wrote:

Plus, people would rather choose the news that they want to hear. That is why "unbiased" news gets destroyed in the ratings every time it is tried. It's comforting to know that you are tuning into things that you will agree with. It's why Cheap Charlie "cancelled" Hannity simply because he said "Yeah, Trump lost the election" when a week earlier Hannity was a hero for having the entire Biden crime family in jail until he lost the evidence in the mail and had no backup copy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm 

Not directly mentioned in the first post is that they're giving the third hour to Ashleigh Banfield, who, speaking of biased news media, is a case study in where the real bias in the news business lies. She said the Iraq War was a terrible idea with too much state propaganda behind it in the news, and her career never recovered. She went from being the original savior of MSNBC to, well, cleaning up after News Nation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Not directly mentioned in the first post is that they're giving the third hour to Ashleigh Banfield, who, speaking of biased news media, is a case study in where the real bias in the news business lies. She said the Iraq War was a terrible idea with too much state propaganda behind it in the news, and her career never recovered. She went from being the original savior of MSNBC to, well, cleaning up after News Nation.

I thought that was a particularly odd hire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Looks like WGN is doubling down on this concept

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If they can increase their carriage, or go with a non cable stream that you can pick up with a Roku or a Fire stick (which is how I watch Sky News every couple of weeks) they might get somewhere.

But odd ball regional carriage, including NOT IN CHICAGO, is insane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Maybe they are waiting to get the on screen folks some reps before launching it in larger markets? Like a Broadway production doing a run in Chicago or Topeka before hitting Broadway proper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
YouTube TV just added it so I tried it the other night. It was sleepy-bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:39 pm 

a genius wrote:
YouTube TV just added it so I tried it the other night. It was sleepy-bad.

...Snooze Nation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:52 pm 

I'm beyond the point of caring. As mentioned above, there is little real news. I've been dropping in and out of the channel 9 news in the last 45 minutes and they've hit the Pfleger story and the weather twice and some muttering about new vaccination sites being opened and schools possibly being partially reopened on February 2nd. So nothing new.

Frankly listening to my son's class on zoom has been more enlightening.

And quite honestly, between 24 news, websites and various alerts to phones meant to raise fear and hysteria, it's all white noise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm 

"We have this show no one watches"

"Then make the entire channel the show!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Regular Reader wrote:
I'm beyond the point of caring. As mentioned above, there is little real news. I've been dropping in and out of the channel 9 news in the last 45 minutes and they've hit the Pfleger story and the weather twice and some muttering about new vaccination sites being opened and schools possibly being partially reopened on February 2nd. So nothing new.

And quite honestly, between 24 news, websites and various alerts to phones meant to raise fear and hysteria, it's all white noise.

Yep. I believe in Tim Ferriss' low intake approach: if something is really important, someone is bound to tell you, and if you are stuck in a conversation you can always ask "so what in the news are you finding interesting."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:

As a youth I might of watched the local news and maybe Chicago tonight during the week if the guests were of interest to my mom as she made dinner. We only had one TV and no cable (and a second tv that wasn’t hooked up to an antenna until I was in high school or maybe 8th grade an even then.. didn’t watch much as the room was 800 degrees in the summer and rather cold in winter. Guess on Sundays they’d watch McLauglin group or The news hour. It was enough. Oh, and I read the paper everyday .
More than enough really. I’ve had to drastically curtail my consumption of media as it’s just unhealthy for me. The 24 hour onslaught and presentation is just too much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm 

Saturday was the absolute last straw for me.

I came across a story about carjackings that featured a local gas station where a carjacking occurred SIX WEEKS AGO. I mean fuck, things are hairy in spots, but nowhere near as bad as they were 25-30 years ago. And it's b.s. to keep parading old crap as if it's new again. And an incitement to hysteria.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I came across a story about carjackings that featured a local gas station where a carjacking occurred SIX WEEKS AGO. I mean fuck, things are hairy in spots, but nowhere near as bad as they were 25-30 years ago. And it's b.s. to keep parading old crap as if it's new again. And an incitement to hysteria.

Yeah there is no uptick in crime in the city. It's hysteria. But we need to be worried about the Klan. That's a real concern.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:02 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah there is no uptick in crime in the city. It's hysteria. But we need to be worried about the Klan. That's a real concern.

Your obsession with me is queer to say the least. Especially since seem to be too stupid to understand what I posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Your obsession with me is queer to say the least. Especially since seem to be too stupid to understand what I posted.

The second you are challenger here you respond with some sort of homosexual slur or attack. But it's all those Trump bigots that are the problem.

And here you are worried that the news over sensationalizes local violence. The 1,400 carjackings (which doubled in a year and the 800 murders are no big deal because the Klan is on the march somewhere. Yet you see no irony in using the word hysteria.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:41 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The second you are challenger here you respond with some sort of homosexual slur or attack. But it's all those Trump bigots that are the problem.

And here you are worried that the news over sensationalizes local violence. The 1,400 carjackings (which doubled in a year and the 800 murders are no big deal because the Klan is on the march somewhere. Yet you see no irony in using the word hysteria.

Do you get any joy on this board aside from hanging on my every post? Or proving your status as a race obsessed bigot?You're as predictable as a pet.

Heel, weirdo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Do you get any joy on this board aside from hanging on my every post? Or proving your status as a race obsessed bigot?You're as predictable as a pet.

Heel, weirdo.

You posted in a thread I started saying that the news is exaggerating crime in a city were murders and carjackings are up 50 percent over the year prior. So you aren't just a whiny bitch, you are full of shit, and you have zero news judgement.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:

Agree . It’s like keeping 5,000 troops stationed in DC over something that happened 3 weeks ago .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm 

Feder with a big story: a disgraced Fox News executive has been "consulting" News Nation

Quote:
Shine has been working behind the scenes (and out of the building) for NewsNation since June, but his role with the startup was unknown to most employees and the public. Nexstar networks division president Sean Compton, who heads WGN America, knew how it would look if it got out.

All of that changed last week when Sandy Pudar abruptly resigned as news director of NewsNation, and the industry website FTVLive.com disclosed Shine’s role as a consultant. It turned out the two events were related.

Pudar declined to comment, but insiders said they believe she quit because of interference by Shine and others in news decisions. One source said producers found themselves overruled on the content, selection and placement of stories without explanation. Others cited pressure to downplay reports about COVID-19.

Quote:
“We are not going right,” Compton declared at one point. “But we want to give voices on the right something other networks won’t show.”

I'm not even mad. Political journalism and neutrality will always separate like oil and vinegar. I'd be more alarmed if I thought News Nation were a threat to be more than a distant third behind OANN and Newsmax in the race to replace Fox News in the hearts and minds of small business owners who would die for Donald Trump. They're still going to fail, just in a different way. The entire concept of nationwide local news was a joke on Mr. Show 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm 

Maybe he's a real ideologue who wants the station to go right. Or maybe he's typical consultant selling bullshit for a paycheck.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 pm 

I am watching News Nation. The camera work is shaky. It feels like out-of-market local news, which is basically what it is. I haven't heard enough national political talk to really tell whether it's biased; I came in for the For Your Health segment and some chatter about making daylight-saving time permanent.

Oh, and more people keep quitting this outfit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm 

Quote:
The simmering controversy for the channel previously known as WGN America gained steam on Tuesday when Nexstar confirmed that Jennifer Lyons, the WGN-TV Chicago news veteran who led the launch of the primetime “NewsNation” block last September, has resigned her post as VP of news.

Quote:
Nexstar chairman-CEO Perry Sook held an in-person session with NewsNation staffers at the channel’s Chicago headquarters. Sook reaffirmed Nexstar’s commitment to the transformation of the former WGN America into a news channel. He told employees during a long session that included about 40 minutes of Q&A that Nexstar aims to build out NewsNation as an all-news, talk and opinion outlet by 2023.

No way this thing is still around by 2023. It's most viral moment was when Rogue posted that attempted segment from the Minneapolis Floyd Autonomous Zone today.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/newsna ... 234926851/

The Missing Link wrote: