It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
pittmike wrote:
I think the Stever grew up in Pasadena so he probably worked a free trip home vacation out of it.

Dahl's Dad used to be a sales rep for our company on the West Coast. I never met him. He was transitioning out in the late '90s before I had the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
First bowl I recall was 84 Rosebowl but I know it wasn't first as I remembering knowing what the Rosebowl was. I'm sure a 8 year old Squirrel was really attentive to all these things. All I really know is they were on TV New Years day but probably didn't pay huge attention until the Miami vs Penn State 87 Fiesta Bowl. I kind of sort of remember that game.

Fighting Illini playing in the '83 Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal. Stores were giving away posters and Dahl even did a broadcast from the Rose Bowl Parade. Can you imagine a modern, regular shift radio host working new years day for a parade

Wasn't that the '84 game. I guess, it was the bowl after the '83 season but I always think of the year it was played in vs. the season and that was of course the game I am referring to. Does't matter. I probably remember it for no other reason than the Fighting Illini in Pasadena song. My folks weren't big Illini fans but it was drilled into my head that you cheered for the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl. Unless it was the Golden Gophers but that has never been a problem in my recollection.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I think the Stever grew up in Pasadena so he probably worked a free trip home vacation out of it.

Dahl's Dad used to be a sales rep for our company on the West Coast. I never met him. He was transitioning out in the late '90s before I had the chance.

He used to have his dad, Roger I think, on a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:42 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
1971 Soul Bowl at Soldier Field counts, but I was there)

Damn, Reader. Even I wasn't born then.

No shit, did they do a Live Soul Train as the pregame show? :lol: :afro: :lol:

Probably then and at halftime :lol:

But every party and bbq featured it. :cheese:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:45 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
First bowl I recall was 84 Rosebowl but I know it wasn't first as I remembering knowing what the Rosebowl was. I'm sure a 8 year old Squirrel was really attentive to all these things. All I really know is they were on TV New Years day but probably didn't pay huge attention until the Miami vs Penn State 87 Fiesta Bowl. I kind of sort of remember that game.

Fighting Illini playing in the '83 Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal. Stores were giving away posters and Dahl even did a broadcast from the Rose Bowl Parade. Can you imagine a modern, regular shift radio host working new years day for a parade

Wasn't that the '84 game. I guess, it was the bowl after the '83 season but I always think of the year it was played in vs. the season and that was of course the game I am referring to. Does't matter. I probably remember it for no other reason than the Fighting Illini in Pasadena song. My folks weren't big Illini fans but it was drilled into my head that you cheered for the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl. Unless it was the Golden Gophers but that has never been a problem in my recollection.

Strange, because the only reason anyone even remembered Minnesota back in those days was the crazy basketball arena with the raised floor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Usually considered the best team to never win a Rose Bowl. Source: Hang on, BRB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Strange, because the only reason anyone even remembered Minnesota back in those days was the crazy basketball arena with the raised floor

Iowa and Minnesota had a rivalry when my parents were in college in the late 50s/early 60s and mom said it rather jokingly. If my grandmother had said it.. well, thst wouldn’t have been a joke.