It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:24 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
a genius wrote:
I graduated from U of I in June of that year. I remember watching the game but not much about it :drunken:

I think the Bear died within the month.

Beat the Illini at your own risk. Everyone knows this.

I remember watching that with my dad. He kept saying that the refs were giving Alabama breaks. Ima hafta watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktoPK83 ... TIDEGraham

@Hawger: What's weird is that the next link for the Google search "1982 Liberty Bowl refs" is this: https://www.hawg-tales.com/hawg-tales/c ... texas-refs

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:10 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I probably watched some bowl games prior. I seem to recall watching Montana.

But, the earliest one I remember was the 1980 Holiday Bowl with Jim McMahon. An incredible game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:13 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Here's how old we are dolphin,

The first statement on this clip is "I hope you are watching this game in color tonight ladies and gentlemen...."

https://youtu.be/b55Tn_YbLK8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:44 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

The first statement on this clip is "I hope you are watching this game in color tonight ladies and gentlemen...."

do you remember how these non NYD bowl games were on all the random UHF channels and produced independently then sold to different markets? You couldn't see every game if it wasn't sold to your market.

first time I remember watching SMU was in the Cotton Bowl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:

do you remember how these non NYD bowl games were on all the random UHF channels and produced independently then sold to different markets? You couldn't see every game if it wasn't sold to your market.

first time I remember watching SMU was in the Cotton Bowl

Yeah, I think this was on channel 32 or 50. Pretty sure it was New Year's Eve.

And I did have a B&W TV in my room at that time but I was watching this in vibrant color, ladies and gentlemen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:56 am 

Little-known fact - BYU played in the first 7 Holiday Bowls.

I looked it up. It was actually 12/19.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's

But, the earliest one I remember was the 1980 Holiday Bowl with Jim McMahon. An incredible game.

I watched that. I don't remember it, but I remember talking about it at basketball practice a few days later. We argued about what religion McMahon was.

Earliest I remember are the ND Cotton Bowl games as well as the 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl, which Georgia blew. I fell asleep.

Ten bucks says RR watched these games (but was rooting for the other teams).

Today, I can't help wondering if a young Herschel "Krustovsky" Walker was watching that game, dreaming about both playing for the Dawgs and getting a fair shake in a Senate race someday.

One of those dreams came true.

Last edited by Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:27 pm 

I watched that. I don't remember it, but I remember talking about it at basketball practice a few days later. We argued about what religion McMahon was.

Earliest I remember are the ND Cotton Bowl games as well as the 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl, which Georgia blew. I fell asleep. Today, I can't help wondering if a young Herschel "Krustovsky" Walker was watching that game, dreaming about both playing for the Dawgs and getting a fair shake in a Senate race someday.

If he was, he was doing pushups during the commercials.

I don't if that story is true, where he said he never lifted weights, but it's a great story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:28 pm 

Earliest I remember are the ND Cotton Bowl games as well as the 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl, which Georgia blew. I fell asleep. Today, I can't help wondering if a young Herschel "Krustovsky" Walker was watching that game, dreaming about both playing for the Dawgs and getting a fair shake in a Senate race someday.

I don't if that story is true, where he said he never lifted weights, but it's a great story.

He literally told me that. I think I read it in The Herschel Walker Story, which I got for Chanukah one year, but he told me that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:50 pm 

He literally told me that. I think I read it in The Herschel Walker Story, which I got for Chanukah one year, but he told me that.

Was it a 1000 push ups and 500 sit ups per day?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:50 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
bunch a old coots on this board

You are no young whipper snapper yourself sir.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:00 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

Was it a 1000 push ups and 500 sit ups per day?

Now that I don't remember, but he had about twelve different ways of doing them, as well as handstand pushups. I was doing those for a few years before the pandemic and got tendinitis. I didn't get as big as Herschel, so it sucked all around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:02 pm 

You met Herschel Walker?

It was more than that, per legend. Like 2,000 pushups and maybe even more situps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:19 pm 

You met Herschel Walker?

It was more than that, per legend. Like 2,000 pushups and maybe even more situps.

Yup, when I was just a whipper. He was real cool, a real nice guy, but I got the feeling that he thought I was a little off and therefore needed extra compassion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:44 pm 

Little-known fact - BYU played in the first 7 Holiday Bowls.

I looked it up. It was actually 12/19.

I probably watched most of those from Jack Murphy stadium. On my own 12" black and white tv. And having to struggle with the antenna.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:51 pm 

Earliest I remember are the ND Cotton Bowl games as well as the 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl, which Georgia blew. I fell asleep.

Ten bucks says RR watched these games (but was rooting for the other teams).

Today, I can't help wondering if a young Herschel "Krustovsky" Walker was watching that game, dreaming about both playing for the Dawgs and getting a fair shake in a Senate race someday.

You'd lose. I never cared until Michigan lost out there in 84. Believe it or not I rooted for Herschel back then.

And the first bowl game I watched was Ohio State getting mashed by the Trojans in 74-75? (I don't know if the 1971 Soul Bowl at Soldier Field counts, but I was there)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:06 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Believe it or not I rooted for Herschel back then.

My guy!

I also thought you were a Houston fan....I mean, not just Clyde &tc., but football, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
1971 Soul Bowl at Soldier Field counts, but I was there)

Damn, Reader. Even I wasn't born then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:47 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: I don’t really remember the game except for the poor food at Soldiers Field and the pennant I got.

Grambling vs. Alcorn State btw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
:lol: I am old like Reader. I do not remember a Soul Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:42 pm 

You met Herschel Walker?

I think you are mixing up Heschel and Hub

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
:lol: The Soul Bowl....that's awesome. Must've been a response to that Cracker(Gator) Bowl down in Jacksonville.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Well I found a Soul Bowl concert at Tulane in 1970, but so far no Soul Bowl at Soldier Field.

https://stories.tulane.edu/project/soul-bowl/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
First bowl I recall was 84 Rosebowl but I know it wasn't first as I remembering knowing what the Rosebowl was. I'm sure a 8 year old Squirrel was really attentive to all these things. All I really know is they were on TV New Years day but probably didn't pay huge attention until the Miami vs Penn State 87 Fiesta Bowl. I kind of sort of remember that game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:09 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

No shit, did they do a Live Soul Train as the pregame show? :lol: :afro: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
First bowl I recall was 84 Rosebowl but I know it wasn't first as I remembering knowing what the Rosebowl was. I'm sure a 8 year old Squirrel was really attentive to all these things. All I really know is they were on TV New Years day but probably didn't pay huge attention until the Miami vs Penn State 87 Fiesta Bowl. I kind of sort of remember that game.

Fighting Illini playing in the '83 Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal. Stores were giving away posters and Dahl even did a broadcast from the Rose Bowl Parade. Can you imagine a modern, regular shift radio host working new years day for a parade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Fighting Illini playing in the '83 Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal. Stores were giving away posters and Dahl even did a broadcast from the Rose Bowl Parade. Can you imagine a modern, regular shift radio host working new years day for a parade

There are worse things than getting paid to take a vacation to the Rose Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:40 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

it was the rose parade, so he had to wake up pretty early in the morning on NYD

he worked on thanksgiving many times as well. I loved being able to devour some turkey and then take a nap listening to the show.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

it was the rose parade, so he had to wake up pretty early in the morning on NYD

he worked on thanksgiving many times as well. I loved being able to devour some turkey and then take a nap listening to the show.

I think the Stever grew up in Pasadena so he probably worked a free trip home vacation out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:04 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No shit, did they do a Live Soul Train as the pregame show? :lol: :afro: :lol:

LOL. I picture Reader doing the Soul Train Dance Train Strut down the 50-yard line.