It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stratford Square
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:46 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Maybe it means the "public square" revolves around something other than shopping. Consumerism arguably fuels a lot of outdoor activity and if that's going to move online - though not completely online - maybe it means society repurposes all this abandoned retail space for something better.

So what does the "public square" revolve around? Call of Duty 10?

I would hope not but we've got online public squares as Hussra mentioned where people believe they're communicating with other people who are probably bots. I don't think that's going well. People and companies have this notion of converting obsolete parking lots into public parks but I'm not sure if that's going to work. It's like the more we go online the more we're afraid/skeptical/fearful of those around us IRL, so not sure if going out in public is as desirable as it once was. Public activity is going to take on really interesting shapes in the near future since what was considered fun/fun-ish public activity (window shopping, people watching, etc., like others mention above) is going to be so foreign to those born in maybe 2000 and after whose formative years were spent adding things to cart online instead of browsing stores outside. If digitizing the shopping experience creates more time in our lives by eliminating the need to commute and browse, then we've got to figure out how people are going to use that extra time and repurpose all that extra space. That's maybe where society's values come into more definition - what are you going to devote those spaces to - and I guess we'll learn more about ourselves based on which visions for these spaces defeat others.

You read Bowling Alone?

one of my dad's favorite's to cite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
ever talk to random people out at the mall or walmart or wherever? Bots have a higher floor for interesting conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Maybe it means the "public square" revolves around something other than shopping. Consumerism arguably fuels a lot of outdoor activity and if that's going to move online - though not completely online - maybe it means society repurposes all this abandoned retail space for something better.

So what does the "public square" revolve around? Call of Duty 10?

I don't think the "public square" has existed for many decades. You simply have people who occupy the same space as you for a time and then they go away and you pretty much don't see them again. A select few become lifelong friends but the rest disappear with minimal contact.

I'm sure it was different when most people lived their whole life in the same town or right near the same town that they were born in but people move around so much now that even the people I know who stayed in the same area I grew up in don't have an experience like that unless they head to the townie bar.

There's the physical public square and then there's content public square--when most everyone consumed the same set of tv shows, films, music (to a lesser extent). Probably NBC's must-see tv lineup and Sunday nights on HBO were some of the last of those relatively universal shared experiences.

in the early to mid-00's, when we first moved to Chicago after graduating, neighborhood bars (Inner Town Pub, aka ITP, y0) served the purpose of public square, social media communication mechanism and dating app. a decade on and that shit was dead, dead, dead. mostly because females stopped patronizing bars on the regular except for special occasions in favor of social media and dating apps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
good dolphin wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Old Orchard and Northbrook Court are doing the same thing.

I think the only mall doing well is Oak Brook.

Old Orchard still is pretty strong from what I read

They’re going to dump $100m into it to make the north end a giant mixed used space.

mixed use is logical for a horizontal mall. The sky is free space and it insures foot traffic. Those condos/rentals will move quickly with its proximity to the expressway and amenities. They would be attractive to both old and young buyers

One of the new buildings at Yorktown is age 55+ apartments. Not exactly walkable to stuff like grocery stores, but a pretty short drive to anything, and walkable to the mall itself and to Target.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hussra wrote:
ever talk to random people out at the mall or walmart or wherever? Bots have a higher floor for interesting conversation.

Omegle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
One of the new buildings at Yorktown is age 55+ apartments. Not exactly walkable to stuff like grocery stores, but a pretty short drive to anything, and walkable to the mall itself and to Target.
So you can walk to the mall and then walk around the mall? Bet that's on the brochures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
So you can walk to the mall and then walk around the mall? Bet that's on the brochures.

Weather flexibility!!!

I was pretty stunned when I first saw them going up, to me it's not a particularly good location. Then again, the apartments next to the cemetery over by Patio are in a worse location, and they go for a pretty penny.