It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: David Crosby
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The comment I originally replied to was this;
Regular Reader wrote:
Ted Nugent is, was and always will be a no talent pos.
You can dislike the man. You can dislike his music. You can call him a POS (I don't really disagree). Most of that is subjective. No issues with any of that.

You cannot say Ted Nugent has/had zero talent. That's not subjective, that's flat out wrong. Hence my Rush comparison.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
You can dislike the man. You can dislike his music. You can call him a POS (I don't really disagree). Most of that is subjective. No issues with any of that.

You cannot say Ted Nugent has/had zero talent. That's not subjective, that's flat out wrong. Hence my Rush comparison.

All I know is if Nugent's house gets inna way, he's gonna burn it down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I hope he burns down the house from "Our House."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: What a piece of shit that is

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Saying Nugent didn't have talent is just as stupid as saying Michael Jackson didn't have talent because he fucked babies or saying Kanye doesn't have talent because he might be a loonie toon. Those guys are flawed but talented musicians. And music isn't subjective, not really, liking it is indeed subjective but there is a science to music that is positively quantifiable unlike other forms of artist painting.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.

So much anger for Uncle Ted. He is one "out there" individual but he can play the guitar and he's had alot of bangers over the years. His work in Damn Yankees often goes overlooked but Ted absolutely slayed on their huge hit "High Enough". He also kicked down a door while ripping his solo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 am 

That very picture illustrates my feelings for the no talents in the type of "music" guys like Nugent played. And the idea that music isn't subjective is laughably wrong. He and guys like him didn't have any real talent in the sense like the fifteenth man on the worst NBA roster having "talent". Loud isn't talent. There are reasons a radio station like WMET (that loaded up on loud noise like his trash) went off the air. It had a narrow, homogenous demographic that catered to talent less garage hack wannabes. Who couldn't support the station for loud noise. Face it, his garbage wasn't particularly unique, interesting or distinctive, just loud af and hard on the ears.

Face it, I hated his kind of "music" and have never respected it. It's f-ing noise for people who couldn't catch a beat and had no rhythm, just loud which MANY still confuse with having merit imho. But if you want to go all out in defense of crappy noise, knock yourselves out. I don't really care.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 am 

Darkside wrote:
Saying Nugent didn't have talent is just as stupid as saying Michael Jackson didn't have talent because he fucked babies or saying Kanye doesn't have talent because he might be a loonie toon. Those guys are flawed but talented musicians. And music isn't subjective, not really, liking it is indeed subjective but there is a science to music that is positively quantifiable unlike other forms of artist painting.

No, stupid is confusing activity with accomplishment. Shit is shit, whether its seventies and eighties hair metal bands, country/Christian music since then or trashy mumble rap. Or Nugent, a part of you guys' peculiar canon of shitty loud noise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
a part of you guys' peculiar canon of shitty loud noise.

"You people"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:19 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

No, stupid is confusing activity with accomplishment. Shit is shit, whether its seventies and eighties hair metal bands, country/Christian music since then or trashy mumble rap. Or Nugent, a part of you guys' peculiar canon of shitty loud noise.

Hey asshole. I'm not even remotely a Nugent fan. You know what my brand of music is. I'm just not a big enough asshole to let politics get in the way of recognizing talent. Or racism. Doesn't seem to slow you down though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Can you at least spare "Immigration Man"? I like to sing along.

I don't think I even know any Nugent songs other than "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Stranglehold." "Cat Scratch Fever" is okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I've always hated him , the trophy hunting shit is disgusting. Every time stranglehold comes on..I crank that shit up though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Crosby's last message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-p1b29 ... lindeHenry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:55 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I don't think I even know any Nugent songs other than "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Stranglehold." "Cat Scratch Fever" is okay.

"free for all". probably my favorite. "stranglehold" has a sick riff, and it's pretty groovy too. "cat scratch fever" got overplayed. like priests's "breaking the law".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:12 am 

Darkside wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Hey asshole. I'm not even remotely a Nugent fan. You know what my brand of music is. I'm just not a big enough asshole to let politics get in the way of recognizing talent. Or racism. Doesn't seem to slow you down though.

Funny how you know what one of the brands of music I listen to and yet you're so butt hurt because I never have been able to stomach his kind of music and strenuously cannot stand it. Unlike you, I was subjected to that shitty music when it was new, just like I was making choices about music like Floyd, Zepplin or the Clash when the performers were active and not on augmented best of tours. I couldn't stand him 45 years ago and like him less now because of his politics. I think that your bitter politics have done exactly what you're accusing me of.

Fwiw, I actually rarely stop to even listen to folk music like CSN (&Y) either, but I've never had a visceral reaction to it because their harmonies never made my ears bleed like the shitty head bamger types did.

And as for being an asshole, I'm fine with it when talking about this kind of shit a big enough asshole like you wants to mix it up over. But I'm not going to argue that a group of no talents like the goofs who made the Jackass shows were exhibiting talent while doing so. And Nugent falls in a similar realm to me. And it seems to me that next you'll be butt hurt about that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
That very picture illustrates my feelings for the no talents in the type of "music" guys like Nugent played. And the idea that music isn't subjective is laughably wrong. He and guys like him didn't have any real talent in the sense like the fifteenth man on the worst NBA roster having "talent". Loud isn't talent. There are reasons a radio station like WMET (that loaded up on loud noise like his trash) went off the air. It had a narrow, homogenous demographic that catered to talent less garage hack wannabes. Who couldn't support the station for loud noise. Face it, his garbage wasn't particularly unique, interesting or distinctive, just loud af and hard on the ears.

Face it, I hated his kind of "music" and have never respected it. It's f-ing noise for people who couldn't catch a beat and had no rhythm, just loud which MANY still confuse with having merit imho. But if you want to go all out in defense of crappy noise, knock yourselves out. I don't really care.

You're my guy...I don't think you're an asshole, but I will say you are wrong here.

I totally get you don't like the music and that's fine. I get that he's an asshole and an ego-maniac...he is. He also has a lot of company. It doesn't take away the fact that he can play the instrument. He can sing a little and he's written a good number of tunes that gets some people off. That's talent.

I could quite easily liken him to Roger Waters, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and countless others. Complete asswipe ego-maniacs, but they have talent and have written music people really like.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

So much anger for Uncle Ted. He is one "out there" individual but he can play the guitar and he's had alot of bangers over the years. His work in Damn Yankees often goes overlooked but Ted absolutely slayed on their huge hit "High Enough". He also kicked down a door while ripping his solo.

That video clip captures exactly everything people hate about Ted. He's such an ass :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:07 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You're my guy...I don't think you're an asshole, but I will say you are wrong here.
I totally get you don't like the music and that's fine. I get that he's an asshole and an ego-maniac...he is. He also has a lot of company. It doesn't take away the fact that he can play the instrument. He can sing a little and he's written a good number of tunes that gets some people off. That's talent.

I could quite easily liken him to Roger Waters, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and countless others. Complete asswipe ego-maniacs, but they have talent and have written music people really like.

There was a joke in the movie White Men Can’t Jump about who couldn’t hear Jimi Hendrix that I thought was ridiculous. Looking back on the last day I have to admit that Nugent and other seventies/eighties head bangers were so offensive sounding to me that I can’t hear it because I hate it. It’s just noise to me. Looking back on the era it seems to me that his fans then and now have a similar attitude to a large segment of the music I listened to and I didn’t care then and don’t care now. Then it was a clown like Steve Dahl and Disco Demolition or now angrily asserting that Nugent has talent. Either way it’s frivolous to me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:15 am 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

That video clip captures exactly everything people hate about Ted. He's such an ass :lol:

He's fuckin' awesome.

Anybody wants to get mellow you can turn around and get the fuck out of here, alright? This is a love song. I'd like to dedicate this to all that Nashville pussy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcwfZ2ArK4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Just as I recognize that this is a subjective area, I wouldn’t expect you to have the same talent evaluations of all of the musicians I may like
I wouldn't be dismissive and judgmental and declare musicians you like to have no talent simply because I may not be a fan of the music they make. I'll cite Rush for the third time here.

That's the whole point of my initial reply to you. Music is subjective. Talent is not.

This is not a favorable thread for you, good sir.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:28 am 

W_Z wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

"free for all". probably my favorite. "stranglehold" has a sick riff, and it's pretty groovy too. "cat scratch fever" got overplayed. like priests's "breaking the law".

Back when I was brown bagging it for work, I occasionally would sing "making my lunch, making my lunch". I'm kind of embarrassed I liked priest. A few years ago, I decided to listen to Sad Wings of Destiny. It BLOWS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Regular Reader wrote:
Loud isn't talent. There are reasons a radio station like WMET (that loaded up on loud noise like his trash) went off the air. It had a narrow, homogenous demographic that catered to talent less garage hack wannabes. Who couldn't support the station for loud noise. Face it, his garbage wasn't particularly unique, interesting or distinctive, just loud af and hard on the ears.

man, i guess you didn't like album-side weekends.

off that thunderbolt, we'd light our tiki torches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Darkside wrote:
And music isn't subjective, not really, liking it is indeed subjective but there is a science to music that is positively quantifiable unlike other forms of artist painting.

That's a pretty bold take. There's without question skill that goes into making music, but there's also skill that goes into every other art form. Also, there are conventions in music that you can follow or from which you can deviate, just like every other art form.

Also, I don't think you can really separate the subjective feeling someone gets from listening to music from the actual process of making it. To some extent, a song is what the listener perceives it to be.

Finally, and we may not be disagreeing here, the actual process of listening to music is one of the most subjective forms of art appreciation that's available. Whether or not you like a song is so highly dependent on happenstance (your age when you first heard the song, what you were doing when you first heard the song, who you were with when you first heard the song, whether or not you heard another version of the song first, etc.), I no longer sneer at anyone's musical tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm 

What I mean by that is that there is a certain physics to music. You can apply musical theory and the physics of sound and determine what quality music really is. Whether or not you like it is indeed subjective, as it should be, but you can qualify the talent of the musician using that theorem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
What I mean by that is that there is a certain physics to music. You can apply musical theory and the physics of sound and determine what quality music really is. Whether or not you like it is indeed subjective, as it should be, but you can qualify the talent of the musician using that theorem.

What do you mean by "talent"? An ability to hit notes exactly at some particular speed? I guess what you're saying may be true of musicians playing classical pieces, but I don't think it applies when it comes to pop music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

What do you mean by "talent"? An ability to hit notes exactly at some particular speed? I guess what you're saying may be true of musicians playing classical pieces, but I don't think it applies when it comes to pop music.

Why not? Does science and harmony not apply at a certain speed? You're probably just saying this becaus3 your fore finger is getting too old to Barre a chord.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il9q39 ... esBERTACCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Dignified Rube wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il9q397lL0&ab_channel=GillesBERTACCO

That is a great song.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That's Madness...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Loud isn't talent. There are reasons a radio station like WMET (that loaded up on loud noise like his trash) went off the air. It had a narrow, homogenous demographic that catered to talent less garage hack wannabes. Who couldn't support the station for loud noise. Face it, his garbage wasn't particularly unique, interesting or distinctive, just loud af and hard on the ears.

man, i guess you didn't like album-side weekends.

off that thunderbolt, we'd light our tiki torches.

Favorite image of who I wanted to be when I was younger...the WMET shirt reminded me of this pic from Zenyatta era...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner