It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lin Brehmer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
But when you consider tenure and dayparts, Dan and Lin probably spent more time in the hallways on Belmont together than Dan and the Grobber did. And then Leery just copies whatever Senor says.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
It's really unfortunate, isn't it...I'm going to printout a playlist from today, really impressive

kinda sick of death right now though

Cancer really still sucks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:28 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
kinda sick of death right now though

Cancer really still sucks

Agreed and agreed.

"Keep Me in Your Heart" by Warren Zevon was a nice way to end it. Also caught a Richard Milne reference to John Cale's utterly fantastic Paris 1919. (Another album they can't play lest someone somewhere ask "where are the Foo Fighters?")

Last edited by Curious Hair on Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Prostate too, you usually beat that

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Tremendous radio today...lots of great drops, he had a solid sense of humor...and the playlist is top-notch...just don't understand why they can't play this music every day...

regardless, it's solid and genuine

(Personal note, the fact that I spent all day yesterday at an Irish wake for my favorite uncle just saturates the whole damn vibe)

Agreed. Not sure why it takes a death for them to play some good fucking music. First time in years it has been on a stayed on.
I hope we don’t have to take out Terri Hemmert to get extended stretches of music like today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Yeah, I had no idea this guy was St. Lin of Brehmer. It's pretty cool that he left such a giant impression on Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nardi wrote:
Yeah, I had no idea this guy was St. Lin of Brehmer. It's pretty cool that he left such a giant impression on Chicago.

If you grew up in Chicago and are of a certain age chances are pretty good you listened to him every morning while getting ready for school or work and on the way in. He was a lot of peoples start to the day. I never cared for alarms. I used my radio shack amfm clock radio on the radio function instead of the alarm function, and if I didn't fall asleep listening to a hawks game on the radio, Lin woke me up.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
Listened to tribute today and music was very good. The other thing I noticed is he had not mentioned Mary Dixon since she got fired and she was not mentioned today. Did they have a fallout after she got deservedly canned as I got tired of her liberal biased newscasts. Probably the only person who didnt consider him the best friend in the whole world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:20 pm 

If you remember that piece in the Tribune about all the ways that Greg Solk disrespected women at WXRT (along with an obligatory section on, you guessed it, Julie DiCaro), there was a part in there where Solk was up to some literal-ass gaslighting, culminating in kicking Mary out of the studio because she was "distracting Lin." With the tenuous state of affairs at Entercom (not to mention, we know now, his health), it would seem that Lin didn't exactly put his own ass on the line to defend her, and pretty soon they "offered her 2 a.m. on 780" in order to fire her. One would like to think everything turned out okay in the end, but who knows. Maybe she still had a grudge, maybe she felt it harder than anyone. I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
brucester001 wrote:
Listened to tribute today and music was very good. The other thing I noticed is he had not mentioned Mary Dixon since she got fired and she was not mentioned today. Did they have a fallout after she got deservedly canned as I got tired of her liberal biased newscasts. Probably the only person who didnt consider him the best friend in the whole world.

She was let go in a cost cutting move.

WBEZ host and former on-air partner Mary Dixon: "I worked with Lin for the better part of 28 years. He loved rock and roll, the listeners, and most of all, [wife] Sara and [son] Wilson."

"I learned a lot from Lin: how to connect music with current events, how to treat listeners with kindness, the beauty of a baseball game with an off-speed pitcher on the mound. I taught him how to floss."
"I loved him like a brother you sometimes want to strangle."
"I'm on my first real vacation in four years and will miss a [Sunday] gathering ... to share some drinks, memories and songs in Lin's honor. My request in absentia is Wilco's 'Box Full of Letters.'"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

If you grew up in Chicago and are of a certain age chances are pretty good you listened to him every morning while getting ready for school or work and on the way in. He was a lot of peoples start to the day. I never cared for alarms. I used my radio shack amfm clock radio on the radio function instead of the alarm function, and if I didn't fall asleep listening to a hawks game on the radio, Lin woke me up.

I am not a morning music guy. It was Dahl, then Brandmeier, and then Stern. After that, it was the Score. I've always knew of the guy, just like I knew Sky Daniels.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I was just listening to that Zevon song and I was thinking of the last time i heard Lin on the score for the Christmas party. I can't remember precisely what he said when they went to play Christmas Mouse it paraphrased it was something like "you can't do that to your listeners... they trust you." I'm sure someone knows the exact quote but man that just had me laughing thinking about it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 am 

Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I am not a morning music guy. It was Dahl, then Brandmeier, and then Stern. After that, it was the Score. I've always knew of the guy, just like I knew Sky Daniels.

His listeners were mostly educated north-side urbanites (and suburbanites who drink Goose Island and still make it back in to see Wilco at the Vic) and local media members, both of whom seem to have an outsize role in determining who gets to be the Chicagoest Chicagoan. I mean, if we're talking about iconic Chicago morning shows of the '90s and 2000s (and sure, why not, 2010s), the first names that come to mind for most people are going to be, sadly, Eric & Kathy, Eddie & JoBo, and Mancow. But they all sucked. Lin was actually good, one of the best, but if you weren't really keyed into local arts/music/culture or didn't have parents who could've been in The Big Chill, I don't think he really meant much to your conception of Chicago. And even if Eric didn't make the women he worked with blow him in the broom closet, I don't think his death would make the front page of the WBEZ-owned Sun-Times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:54 am 

pizza_Place: aurelios
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Tremendous radio today...lots of great drops, he had a solid sense of humor...and the playlist is top-notch...just don't understand why they can't play this music every day...

regardless, it's solid and genuine

(Personal note, the fact that I spent all day yesterday at an Irish wake for my favorite uncle just saturates the whole damn vibe)

Sorry for your loss.
Listen pretty much every day all day and I am with you, music was great today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Anybody got the Playlist? Or link?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:43 am 

Nardi wrote:

same

I knew OF him. My friends all liked his work. He was even a Sauganash guy and, I believe, a QAS parishoner. I never met him and our kids weren't together as he is about a generation older.

I'm trying to think of what my early years radio listening was like. I think it was B 96 with someone. By late grade school I was listening to late era Lujak. High school, I was in a carpool that listened to Brandmeier and he grew on me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:45 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
:lol: Bernstein with his fake tears

of course Leerry had to go on forever about how good of friends they were and replayed a podcast

Either one of those phonies muster this kind of energy up for Grobber ? A guy they actually worked with?

I don't see how a guy like Bremer would be friends with Bernstein but maybe it was just in a superficial work way. Dan cries because those are the only types of friends he developed over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

WBEZ host and former on-air partner Mary Dixon: "I worked with Lin for the better part of 28 years. He loved rock and roll, the listeners, and most of all, [wife] Sara and [son] Wilson."

"I learned a lot from Lin: how to connect music with current events, how to treat listeners with kindness, the beauty of a baseball game with an off-speed pitcher on the mound. I taught him how to floss."
"I'm on my first real vacation in four years and will miss a [Sunday] gathering ... to share some drinks, memories and songs in Lin's honor. My request in absentia is Wilco's 'Box Full of Letters.'"

I had no idea that they had a falling out, but reading between the lines of that statement, well, let's just say it doesn't come off as the most heartfelt thing I've ever read.

I'm going to guess that CH is correct and that she wasn't very happy that he didn't go to bat for her.

Curious Hair wrote:
His listeners were mostly educated north-side urbanites (and suburbanites who drink Goose Island and still make it back in to see Wilco at the Vic) and local media members, both of whom seem to have an outsize role in determining who gets to be the Chicagoest Chicagoan. I mean, if we're talking about iconic Chicago morning shows of the '90s and 2000s (and sure, why not, 2010s), the first names that come to mind for most people are going to be, sadly, Eric & Kathy, Eddie & JoBo, and Mancow. But they all sucked. Lin was actually good, one of the best, but if you weren't really keyed into local arts/music/culture or didn't have parents who could've been in The Big Chill, I don't think he really meant much to your conception of Chicago. And even if Eric didn't make the women he worked with blow him in the broom closet, I don't think his death would make the front page of the WBEZ-owned Sun-Times.

I had no beef with him. His show was fine. "Lin's Bin" was usually pretty good and occasionally brilliant.

But, I don't really consider him a "Chicago guy." He's an East Coast dude who came here for work. When he thought he had a better job he moved to Minnesota.

Putting on a Cubs cap and going to FitzGerald's doesn't make you a Chicagoan. That's not a knock on a guy who just died. Not everyone has to be a "Chicago guy."

There is no specific litmus test for being a what I consider a "Chicago guy." You don't have to be born here. You don't even have to be a guy. Terri Hemmert is a "Chicago guy."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 am 

Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

Seems like, all things considered, as nice remarks as can be expected. I only listened occasionally, but he seemed like a really good guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

Seems like, all things considered, as nice remarks as can be expected. I only listened occasionally, but he seemed like a really good guy.

If I worked that closely with someone for 28 years I'd be hoping for a little more than "Hey, I'm on vacation, but do me a favor and play some Wilco." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

If I worked that closely with someone for 28 years I'd be hoping for a little more than "Hey, I'm on vacation, but do me a favor and play some Wilco." :lol:

She did say more, you just chose not to quote it.

MANY big egos in the media. Like MANY in the media, Mary Dixon is her own biggest fan.

And she has her dream job now. So, I think she's good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

I’m of the opinion that if she’s still bitter, it would’ve been easier to simply state something as empty as “it’s a great loss and he will be sorely missed”. Either way, I don’t remember any other radio guy passing away and such across the board love being so readily expressed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

MANY big egos in the media. Like MANY in the media, Mary Dixon is her own biggest fan.

Judging by her Twitter feed she sure seems to have an inflated opinion of herself and just how important reading news a couple times an hour was. See, Quivers Robin

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I had no beef with him. His show was fine. "Lin's Bin" was usually pretty good and occasionally brilliant.

But, I don't really consider him a "Chicago guy." He's an East Coast dude who came here for work. When he thought he had a better job he moved to Minnesota.

Putting on a Cubs cap and going to FitzGerald's doesn't make you a Chicagoan. That's not a knock on a guy who just died. Not everyone has to be a "Chicago guy."

There is no specific litmus test for being a what I consider a "Chicago guy." You don't have to be born here. You don't even have to be a guy. Terri Hemmert is a "Chicago guy."

Honestly, I was going to say a few of these things (with a lot less detail, since CH and JORR are way more tuned into this than I am) yesterday. I didn't like him at first when I got back from college because he was a North Side yuppie Cubs fan and sounded like a North Side yuppie Cubs fan (i.e., a douchebag). (And no, I'm not saying all Cubs fans are d-bagz, but come on, everyone hates Wayne Stylie and even the most gentle hipsters are ignorant of the class war raging a few miles away.) I mean, I was set up to not like the guy.

That changed at some point. He was good at his job and he was a genuinely cool person. An adopted son, no doubt, and I am still . . . pretty sad, sad enough to start posting again. (A Dr. Hibbert meme would work here.)

Nevertheless, someone on Channel 9 yesterday said he was "a lifelong Cubs fan," and I was like, yeah, that could have been a careless slip of the tongue, but it was more likely just sloppy thinking.

The reactions of the fat little White guy and his partner Dan Bernstein seemed a little inauthentic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:17 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

I’m of the opinion that if she’s still bitter, it would’ve been easier to simply state something as empty as “it’s a great loss and he will be sorely missed”. Either way, I don’t remember any other radio guy passing away and such across the board love being so readily expressed.

That GN-er who died in a plane crash, and then Steve Dahl's personality died when he got sober. I haven't heard anything about him for a long time. I assume his body is still alive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:23 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

Judging by her Twitter feed she sure seems to have an inflated opinion of herself and just how important reading news a couple times an hour was. See, Quivers Robin

You would get the same feeling within 30 seconds of meeting her as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

Actually, I did quote it. And the entire statement just seems kind of cold for a co-worker of 28 years with whom you were ostensibly very close. Whatever. She has a right to feel the guy betrayed her. Maybe he did. And it's not like she did a bernstein-style hatefest the way dan does when someone he dislikes passes away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Caller Bob wrote:
Prostate too, you usually beat that

Aw man, that sucks. Yeah, if you catch it early, easy to beat (I'm living proof!). If it gets out of the prostate, that's when bad stuff can happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:

Nevertheless, someone on Channel 9 yesterday said he was "a lifelong Cubs fan," and I was like, yeah, that could have been a careless slip of the tongue, but it was more likely just sloppy thinking.

He actually was. Al Yellon from Bleed Cubbie Blue went to college with him and wrote a remmberance at his site. He mentioned that Lin grew up in NYC but was a fan of the late 60s Cubs HOFers like Jenkins and Banks. It sounded like it was his NL team and the Yankees were his AL team. (I get that, for me at that age it was the Cubs as my NL team and the Orioles as my AL team.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I’m of the opinion that if she’s still bitter, it would’ve been easier to simply state something as empty as “it’s a great loss and he will be sorely missed”.

I agree with you. I don't think you say something that removed unless you want it to be read that way. Here's an excerpt of that Trib story:

Quote:
First, Mary Dixon was shut out of WXRT-FM 93.1′s annual broadcast of the Cubs home opener, even though she had been part of the station’s lineup for years. Then her morning newscasts were reduced by half, a move accompanied by a pay cut of nearly 40%.

Finally, in 2019, she was escorted to her shared office and offered a box for her stuff. She was being laid off.

The Audacy rock station later issued a statement about staffing changes, which also saw Dixon’s longtime morning co-host, Lin Brehmer, move to middays. At the end of the statement was this line: “With these shifts, current morning news anchor Mary Dixon will depart the station.”

“I had been at XRT on and off for 28 years,” Dixon told the Tribune. “And that was what (boss Greg Solk) thought of me, one line at the end of a very long press release.”

. . .

Within a year of Solk’s arrival, Dixon said, she found herself the only woman in the room for meetings. Dixon, who started working for XRT as a reporter in 1991, told the Tribune: “It had been a long time since I had felt that kind of exclusion, and to feel it in 2017, 2018, 2019, it was especially painful. I just thought we had come further than that.”

Dixon said that in 2017 she chose Solk’s pay cut offer instead of a layoff with 12 weeks’ severance because she needed health insurance for herself; her husband, Mark Caro, a former Tribune reporter; and their two daughters. The frequency of her newscasts was cut in half; she was allowed to come to work 15 minutes later; and the pay cut was implemented over six months.

Dixon said she felt frustrated and powerless when, by her account, Solk told her in 2019 not to be in the main studio after 9 a.m. “because he said I was distracting Lin.” Brehmer, her on-air partner for more than two decades, confirmed to the Tribune that Dixon was not allowed in the studio after that time. Dixon said she felt like she was no longer part of the team.

It had become clear “that this was not going to work for me,” Dixon said in a phone interview. “I was walking into the building every day with a boss who did not understand what I was doing there.”

Here's the whole thing: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html Emma Mac seems positively delightful, doesn't she?