It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Robert Marvin Hull
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I didn't hear Bernstein's eulogy, but Spiegel's was a mixture of vitriol ("he was downright evil") and belated apology ("I should have stood up to Mac when he would say nice things about him. I will have to live with those decisions.") Jesus.

He shouldn't have said Hitler had some good ideas. I won't accept "Hitler had some good ideas" from the Ukrainian government and I won't from him, either, and neither should anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I didn't hear Bernstein's eulogy, but Spiegel's was a mixture of vitriol ("he was downright evil") and belated apology ("I should have stood up to Mac when he would say nice things about him. I will have to live with those decisions.") Jesus.

He shouldn't have said Hitler had some good ideas. I won't accept "Hitler had some good ideas" from the Ukrainian government and I won't from him, either, and neither should anyone.

Wait till I tell you what Ilhan Omar has said...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Caller Bob wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Kanye too.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Kanye too.

Difference here is Kanye don't really believe it. He's just scrappin.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Just imagine what these idiots will say about Patrick Kane when he dies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Deb's Place
Peter Puck wrote:
Just imagine what these idiots will say about Patrick Kane when he dies.

If they can rehabilitate a rapist like Kobe, can they rehabilitate a non-rapist?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
If these domestic violence allegations are true:

https://theathletic.com/4138926/2023/01 ... nhl-death/

specifically the one from his ex-wife Joanne, the guy was a piece of shit. Also, I've never felt the need to say anything nice about Hitler, and I can't imagine why somebody else would either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Jordan thought Hitler's mustache was a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:

specifically the one from his ex-wife Joanne, the guy was a piece of shit. Also, I've never felt the need to say anything nice about Hitler, and I can't imagine why somebody else would either.

That stuff has all been known. There's no reason to harp on it now that he's dead. But I don't think it needs to be ignored either. I'd say the obit you linked is fair. It doesn't shy away from the bad stuff, but it focuses on the things that made him worthy of having such an obituary in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:

Because ((they)) programmed you to hate a man you've never met.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

That stuff has all been known. There's no reason to harp on it now that he's dead. But I don't think it needs to be ignored either. I'd say the obit you linked is fair. It doesn't shy away from the bad stuff, but it focuses on the things that made him worthy of having such an obituary in the first place.

I was ignorant about all of it until today. I knew he was an all time great player and had HoF genes, but I knew nothing about his personal life.

I'm not trying to diminish his actions, but I don't think pissing on a man when he dies makes any of us good people. It's one thing not to celebrate his life, but spitting on his grave is somewhat low class.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I was ignorant about all of it until today. I knew he was an all time great player and had HoF genes, but I knew nothing about his personal life.

I'm not trying to diminish his actions, but I don't think pissing on a man when he dies makes any of us good people. It's one thing not to celebrate his life, but spitting on his grave is somewhat low class.

I agree. It's unnecessary. Fels called him a piece of shit enough when he was alive. He can give it a break now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The fact that you didn't know he was a jag before this actually shows that the media is doing its job by pointing out issues with his life outside of hockey.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Do we know 100% that he made those comments about Hitler?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The fact that you didn't know he was a jag before this actually shows that the media is doing its job by pointing out issues with his life outside of hockey.

I think it just shows he didn't pay attention to hockey.

Did you ever do anything bad? On the day you die do you want everyone who knew you to focus on that thing?

Did you ever do anything as well as Bobby Hull played hockey?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

They're obviously not "equally important." If he was a wife beater who praised Hitler and never played hockey we wouldn't be talking about him at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If he was a wife beater who praised Hitler and never played hockey we wouldn't be talking about him at all.

We talk about Caller Bob all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

If anything, Hull should have taken more heat for those terrible wigs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The 4 H's, Hossa, Hjalmersson, Heut and Whigs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Did you ever do anything bad? On the day you die do you want everyone who knew you to focus on that thing?

I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he was a great player but that he was also a complete POS of a human being. He brought that negativity on himself and the fact that he was good at sports doesn't erase it. Even his daughter said as much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he was a great player but that he was also a complete POS of a human being. He brought that negativity on himself and the fact that he was good at sports doesn't erase it. Even his daughter said as much.

Like I said, I think the obit from The Athletic is fair. But all these guys coming out of the woodwork just to say how terrible a guy was on the day he died, maybe they should work on themselves. Because they clearly aren't the "good people" they think they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I don't really care about it today, and I doubt I would have cared 20 years ago. It gets exhausting watching everyone manufacture outrage daily so they can tell everyone how great of a person they are.

Kobe raped a woman and snitched on a teammate, and I still loved watching him play basketball. Chapman beat a woman, and I celebrated every playoff save and win. We all can separate the entertainer from the person when they're performing well for the teams we love. Then we forget how to do it when the rest of us world starts grandstanding.

Last edited by Nas on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:32 pm 

Nas wrote:
I don't really care about it today, and I doubt I would have cared 20 years ago. It gets exhausting watching everyone manufacture outrage daily so they can tell everyone how great of a person they are.

Kobe raped a woman and snitched on a teammate, and I still loved watching him play basketball. Chapman beat a woman, and I celebrated every playoff save and win. We all can separate the entertainer from the player when they're performing well for the teams we love. Then we forget how to do it when the rest of us world starts grandstanding.

Amen Bro Nas, preach it!

Listening to Meatpants grandstand about it today was sickening. You expect that mess from Bernsie.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Do we know 100% that he made those comments about Hitler?

He claimed he did not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 pm 

Well, I think even he knew well enough not to double down on it. He was probably drunk at the time.

Hull is one of the most important figures in the history of hockey. In addition to everything he did with the Blackhawks, by signing with Winnipeg, he immediately legitimized the WHA and allowed that league to start bringing in the sort of elite European talent that the NHL had been ignoring -- to say nothing of increasing the value of NHL players overnight. But he beat his wife and admired Hitler, and we can't whitewash that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:16 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

him and santo with the super beer goggles. "hey proprietor, can you dim the lights more????". hairline frankenstein creations. only helen keller couldn't tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:29 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, I think even he knew well enough not to double down on it. He was probably drunk at the time.

Hull is one of the most important figures in the history of hockey. In addition to everything he did with the Blackhawks, by signing with Winnipeg, he immediately legitimized the WHA and allowed that league to start bringing in the sort of elite European talent that the NHL had been ignoring -- to say nothing of increasing the value of NHL players overnight. But he beat his wife and admired Hitler, and we can't whitewash that.

Nobody is trying to "whitewash" anything. But there are dopes like Arthur Arkush and many others taking victory laps upon the man's death. And attempting to make those who would like to celebrate a person who meant something to them feel bad about doing so.

I would ask just what the point of that is. To "educate" people who don't care about Bobby Hull one way or another? Or is it to make themselves feel superior to someone who was better at something than they will ever be at anything as long as they live? I'm thinking it's the latter.

From some of the crap I'm reading I get the impression not that Hull said a dumb thing about Hitler but that he actually was Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would ask just what the point of that is. To "educate" people who don't care about Bobby Hull one way or another? Or is it to make themselves feel superior to someone who was better at something than they will ever be at anything as long as they live? I'm thinking it's the latter.

Well, we can agree that the media should have brought up when Ukraine said "Hitler had some good ideas."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:36 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, we can agree that the media should have brought up when Ukraine said "Hitler had some good ideas."

I think Hull was referring to the balcks. The Jews were okay with him.

No one was thinking about Hull's decades old comments or actions before his death. Then folks started tripping all over themselves to prove that they oppose Hitler and beating women.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think Hull was referring to the balcks. The Jews were okay with him.

No one was thinking about Hull's decades old comments or actions before his death. Then folks started tripping all over themselves to prove that they oppose Hitler and beating women.

Well if you dont declare it in print or a 50k watt radio station, how would anyone know you do ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next