It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ben Kweller's Son
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:21 am 

I didn't realize Kweller went on to collaborate with Ed Sheeran and Selena Gomez. I just knew him as a somewhat competent ripoff artist who clung to the coattails of Ben Folds, then went country or something. He had a few nice songs back on his debut album in/around 2000. I saw him live with a GF and he opened with an acoustic version of "ice ice baby". now, i know jonathan coulton would be later known for also adapting a pop rap song into a crooning singer/songwriter track ("baby got back"), but he also has made some great music ("RE: Your Brains", "Flikr", "Skullcrusher Mountain", "Millionaire Girlfriend") to counter that hack job.

Anyhow, Kweller's 16 year old son was "killed" (?)...i guess more details to follow. but he also was a musician.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/ben-kweller-singer-who-s-collaborated-with-ed-sheeran-selena-gomez-reveals-son-dorian-has-died-at-16/ar-AA184uvH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=45047f9611b54ae3d5d6b00b33f25ce6&ei=19

Post subject: Re: Ben Kweller's Son
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:41 am 

I've been a fan of his since Sha Sha, but he's kinda fallen off the map the last 5 years. I had no idea he worked with Ed Sheeran or Selena Gomez either. I wouldn't call him country, but he did sort of do an Alt-Country album about 15 years ago. It's probably my favorite album in his catalog. That seemed to be a one time thing though. I even saw him tour for the album after Changing Horses and he didn't play a single track from that album, so that sucked pretty hard for me.

Thoughts and prayers....

Post subject: Re: Ben Kweller's Son
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:31 pm 

“Wasted & Ready”, “Falling” and “In Other Words” we’re good tracks.