It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Jordan Neely
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Google it. Comment on it. Then mods move this to the politics thread once BR weighs in.

Post subject: Re: Jordan Neely
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: John's
eaglo wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:23 pm 

Never really been a Michael Jackson fan, but certainly never would've been concerned for my safety around him or his impersonators.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
Never really been a Michael Jackson fan, but certainly never would've been concerned for my safety around him or his impersonators.

This guy was arrested dozens of times. Mental illness and homelessness are tough….

Sheriff Dart always talked about that with respect to Cook County.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:32 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

This guy was arrested dozens of times. Mental illness and homelessness are tough….

Sheriff Dart always talked about that with respect to Cook County.

I assumed that he had a lengthy record. Guys like that are easy arrests for the police, whether it has any real effect or not. It's a vicious cycle made worse by society's previous lack of respect for mental health until very recently.

Edit: iirc he served in the Coast Guard. If true, it's disgusting that the country turned it's back on him and other former military personnel who need help.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
there are no winners in this. the guy was a menace and there is a ton of evidence to say he could even be dangerous. The guy trying to restrain him didn't say, lets kill a guy. But clearly some level of restraint was prudent.

I don't think other patrons should be responsible for dealing with a problem caused by multiple larger entity's abandonment. But they had to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I don't think it's kosher to kill someone for exercising their 1st Amendment rights in a way that you find disagreeable. if it were, there'd be like 2 people left posting here.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
People on public transit have to put up with a lot of shit, but when an aggressive person antagonizes everyone around them and then starts talking about how they're ready to go to prison or die, it's not fair that everyone has to sit there quietly and pretend it isn't happening. This guy terrorized the people of New York for at least a decade. It shouldn't have taken extrajudicial killing to remove him from society.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:30 pm 

so this guy went around making empty threats for a decade? I thought they made Marines of sterner stuff than a snowflake who freaks out riding the downtown F train. Everyone who rides public transit has dealt with this kind of thing without anyone ending up dead. Maybe next time this Marine feller takes an uber.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:33 pm 

I think what we'll find out, if we haven't yet, is that he threatened a white woman.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i get that he likely gets harrassed by the police department but the dude has quite the rap sheet. I'm sure there are plenty of crazy people that ride the F train with very little police interaction. So church it up how you want but the guy apparently was largely a scary menace. the "get thicker skin" mantra authorities hoped everyone would adopt is likely the reason this escalated to this point in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I don’t think we can say society “failed” him without more facts. We don’t know if he was on meds, couldn’t obtain them, refused to take them, etc. If he was a threat, bystanders had a right to act without having to learn the guy’s history or circumstances. But I also don’t think simply yelling or acting weird is necessarily threatening. Need to learn more about what prompted the marine to intervene.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Hussra wrote:
so this guy went around making empty threats for a decade? I thought they made Marines of sterner stuff than a snowflake who freaks out riding the downtown F train. Everyone who rides public transit has dealt with this kind of thing without anyone ending up dead. Maybe next time this Marine feller takes an uber.

I dunno. I've seen people blather on harmlessly a lot, but I've also seen (on a few occasions--three, actually) people switch from spouting off to throwing punches and drawing blood with a knife. That unpredictability is the scary thing.

I'm not sure you that act other than calling security or the cops-or if the guy comes towards you. But I can imagine being stuck on the train after having had a bad day and snapping. Or you just look at the guy and you are overwhelmed by feelings of disgust. Most of the people online who are saying they would have reacted with compassion and empathy are hard to take seriously because I never see anyone react empathetically on the L. Others are being self-righteous and are saying that we should ignore people like this, which is not really empathy (though in this context I guess it is).

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
How is there no video of this?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:11 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I don’t think we can say society “failed” him without more facts. We don’t know if he was on meds, couldn’t obtain them, refused to take them, etc. If he was a threat, bystanders had a right to act without having to learn the guy’s history or circumstances. But I also don’t think simply yelling or acting weird is necessarily threatening. Need to learn more about what prompted the marine to intervene.

The city failed him by not removing him from society after years of violent antisocial behavior. The city failed everyone else on the train likewise. No one should be trapped in an underground canister while a man with brain damage screams that he's ready to die for what he's about to do. That's not what the fare is for.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Hussra wrote:

I dunno. I've seen people blather on harmlessly a lot, but I've also seen (on a few occasions--three, actually) people switch from spouting off to throwing punches and drawing blood with a knife. That unpredictability is the scary thing.

I'm not sure you that act other than calling security or the cops-or if the guy comes towards you. But I can imagine being stuck on the train after having had a bad day and snapping. Or you just look at the guy and you are overwhelmed by feelings of disgust. Most of the people online who are saying they would have reacted with compassion and empathy are hard to take seriously because I never see anyone react empathetically on the L. Others are being self-righteous and are saying that we should ignore people like this, which is not really empathy (though in this context I guess it is).

If the guy comes as you then you have a right to protect yourself. If he doesn't then you should just leave him alone. He can be as "crazy" as he wants to be as long as he isn't a physical threat to anyone.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:35 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
If the guy comes as you then you have a right to protect yourself. If he doesn't then you should just leave him alone. He can be as "crazy" as he wants to be as long as he isn't a physical threat to anyone.

No, not really. I don't think a three-person multiracial coalition would have immobilized him if he hadn't escalated the situation to that point. There's a difference between a guy shouting threats on the sidewalk and shouting the same threats in a subway car. Of "fight, flight, or freeze," flight is gone. Maybe the rest of us will all have a social responsibility to be prepared to kill with our bare hands whenever we're on public transit. Maybe that's the rotted-out America we live in now.

We need to undo what Reagan did and have insane asylums again. These violent homeless people aren't people who lost their jobs and fell on hard times, they're schizophrenics and/or zombies from doing bad Mexican drugs made from industrial solvents. They just need to not be here anymore.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Hopefully more and more sports teams will move to the suburbs like the Bears are, then these cities will completely fall apart and have less tax revenue. The anti police crowd can enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:56 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Hopefully more and more sports teams will move to the suburbs like the Bears are, then these cities will completely fall apart and have less tax revenue. The anti police crowd can enjoy.

No, large cities are good. They're better when crime is down.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Curious Hair wrote:
We need to undo what Reagan did and have insane asylums again.

Absolutely horrendous idea! It sure would get people off the street, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:52 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
We need to undo what Reagan did and have insane asylums again.

Absolutely horrendous idea! It sure would get people off the street, though.

troof! let's just toss the mentally ill in prisons with minimal or zero treatment options where they level up on their crazy/criminality before we release them back out into the world.

"insane asylum" probably not the best terminology however.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hussra wrote:

Empty threats? Nah.. trying to shove people on the tracks and sucker punching an old lady..broke her nose and orbital bone. This sack of shit should have been in prison, not on a subway.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He’s fine where he is right now

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:29 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

We need to undo what Reagan did and have insane asylums again. These violent homeless people aren't people who lost their jobs and fell on hard times, they're schizophrenics and/or zombies from doing bad Mexican drugs made from industrial solvents. They just need to not be here anymore.

The Mexican methamphetamine formula is so freaking toxic it's almost an argument for the US lifting restrictions on less toxic meth precursors (ephedrine or whatever). If people are going to do the drugs, might be better off giving them easier access to not safe but less damaging meth.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I’m so very tired of The Discourse

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This seems about right

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Seacrest wrote:

I’d think the other guys merit some charges too if Bragg is going this route.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:59 am 

I was going to say that this guy probably is found not guilty if it even goes to trial based on self defense and the guy mentioning he didn't care if he went to jail which can at least plausibly be viewed as a threat with other threatening actions especially with a jury full of people who have dealt with the same type of concerning situation in the city. I didn't even live in the city and saw it multiple times including one time directly into both my face and then my wife's face.

But, that 15 minute chokehold is going to be tough to justify if that is true.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
I was going to say that this guy probably is found not guilty if it even goes to trial based on self defense and the guy mentioning he didn't care if he went to jail which can at least plausibly be viewed as a threat with other threatening actions especially with a jury full of people who have dealt with the same type of concerning situation in the city. I didn't even live in the city and saw it multiple times including one time directly into both my face and then my wife's face.

You're supposed to be a sitting duck. Or minimally, you're supposed to tolerate all manner of atrocious behavior in the name of I don't know what. "Equity" maybe?

You can be bullied, robbed, and even attacked and the prosecutors will be sympathtic to your tormentor(s). But don't you dare take measures to protect yourself, as every possible charge will be levied against you.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

You're supposed to be a sitting duck. Or minimally, you're supposed to tolerate all manner of atrocious behavior in the name of I don't know what. "Equity" maybe?

You can be bullied, robbed, and even attacked and the prosecutors will be sympathtic to your tormentor(s). But don't you dare take measures to protect yourself, as every possible charge will be levied against you.

Of course it’s in the name of equity . You think there are protests going on about this if some deranged white guy did the same thing on that train and was choked out by a black guy ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next