It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jordan Neely
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Spaulding wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Kill them on a train or in some kind of electric chair or something

So your position is crazy people should be allowed to threaten, assault, or kill others on a train and people have no right to defend themselves? They just have to accept injury or death on a train at the hands of a mentally ill person?

My position is lock them away at a funny farm or electrocute them. Either way no one wants to pay for my idea

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Or take them to the floor while other citizens contact a defunded and slow to respond police department. But when one in 100,000 happens to die in such an incident, don't demonize the citizen(s).

I think electrocuting them is a more humane way for them to go

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
What’s the end game for those supportive of forcible institutionalization?

Caller Bob locked away without access to CFMB.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hussra wrote:
"often"? it's way more often a nothing burger of momentary discomfort. if someone's making you uncomfortable on the subway, it's like 5 minutes between stops....jump out at the next stop and catch the next train. I don't know what marine dude thought he was going to accomplish by engaging a shouting guy physically who by all reports had not initiated any physical contact with anyone.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Neither of us was on that train. So we don't really know.

But I'll say this much. If I did what that guy was doing in your face, I'm guessing you'd attack me. And I'm 100% certain that if it were some crazy white guy screaming racial slurs, a lot of those now wringing their hands would by justifying his death.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
"often"? it's way more often a nothing burger of momentary discomfort. if someone's making you uncomfortable on the subway, it's like 5 minutes between stops....jump out at the next stop and catch the next train. I don't know what marine dude thought he was going to accomplish by engaging a shouting guy physically who by all reports had not initiated any physical contact with anyone.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Neither of us was on that train. So we don't really know.

But I'll say this much. If I did what that guy was doing in your face, I'm guessing you'd attack me. And I'm 100% certain that if it were some crazy white guy screaming racial slurs, a lot of those now wringing their hands would by justifying his death.

You don’t have all the facts but you’ve convinced yourself this guy should face no potential consequences. Makes sense!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hussra wrote:

while Neely may have been violent in other situations, from what's reported happened on the train when Neely was murdered by the Marine, Neely was only "shouting"...which as everyone who has ridden on public transit has noted we've all dealt with crazy people on trains yelling without needing to resort to violence--fatal or otherwise.

I've only seen one or two witnesses or quotes that said they felt bad for not intervening. The rest of the statements that I saw were supportive, afraid, angry, or not wanting to involve themselves. There were 2 other guys restraining him and New York has a known subway problem. Considering he's been violent in several other situations I'm guessing the passengers took his only shouting seriously enough to consider themselves in danger. He was erratic, aggressive, and hostile. I don't think they meant to kill him and I think the Marine to some degree instinctively did what he was trained to do.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
denisdman wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
What’s the end game for those supportive of forcible institutionalization?

Caller Bob locked away without access to CFMB.

It’s His era

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

very true, we don't know; which in this age of ubiquitous surveillance cams and camera phones, you'd think there'd be video of the lead up but no...

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

hell naw, you're all in shape and shit from huffing and puffing on your bike all the time. i'd have to get the drop on you somehow or you'd tire me out and kick my ass.

haven't really had any of these troublemaker folks get right up in my face. except one time on a walking tour of the West Village in NYC with one of my millennial girlfriends and a struggling Broadway actor tour guide (which his sexual orientation fit the job) some little white homeless looking dude ran up on us and those two booked it down the block and left me standing there listening to this homeless dude spew all manner of craziness. but he didn't do anything. i didn't turn my back to him until he finished and walked off tho.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:

You don’t have all the facts but you’ve convinced yourself this guy should face no potential consequences. Makes sense!

I have plenty of facts. The guy has no criminal record. The guy he subdued was a violent repeat offender. The other people on the train supported and assisted the citizen. After subduing the violent criminal he placed him in a recovery position.

So yeah, it does make sense. It's a prosecutor who is trying to lock up the guy who defended himself and others from a violent criminal he refused to prosecute that doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:12 pm 

You just said you weren’t on the train :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:
haven't really had any of these troublemaker folks get right up in my face. except one time on a walking tour of the West Village in NYC with one of my millennial girlfriends and a struggling Broadway actor tour guide (which his sexual orientation fit the job) some little white homeless looking dude ran up on us and those two booked it down the block and left me standing there listening to this homeless dude spew all manner of craziness. but he didn't do anything. i didn't turn my back to him until he finished and walked off tho.

I've had more than a few yell at me or mean mug me. And they came in all colors, black, white, and Hispanic. One was even a woman. I never felt I was in imminent danger but I did think things could go sideways in a hurry.

I'm not even saying I would step in if a guy were directly threatening a woman. I like to think I would, but I don't know. If I was sure I could take the guy down maybe I would. Otherwise, I'd hope someone else would.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:

One needn't have been on the train to know the facts I stated.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:35 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm not even saying I would step in if a guy were directly threatening a woman. I like to think I would, but I don't know. If I was sure I could take the guy down maybe I would. Otherwise, I'd hope someone else would.

I remember living in the west loop and wandering around the environs when I'd see homeless folks I'd usually give em money, few dollars or a five or whatever. a few times I was really drunk I probably gave em a twenty. But my 5'1" girlfriend at the time -- once we were walking around together and had such an encounter as we were walking off she observed that when she was by herself that person and homeless in general let her be. She asked some of the girls at her work about it and they told her they thought the cops would give the homeless grief if they were seen even talking to a solo woman? I dunno. this was back when the Chicago PD still had teeth (2000-2005 range).

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I remember living in the west loop and wandering around the environs when I'd see homeless folks I'd usually give em money, few dollars or a five or whatever. a few times I was really drunk I probably gave em a twenty. But my 5'1" girlfriend at the time -- once we were walking around together and had such an encounter as we were walking off she observed that when she was by herself that person and homeless in general let her be. She asked some of the girls at her work about it and they told her they thought the cops would give the homeless grief if they were seen even talking to a solo woman? I dunno. this was back when the Chicago PD still had teeth (2000-2005 range).

I think the train is an important aspect in this story. If it's just some nut on the street, you can walk away. I would feel a lot differently if this had occurred on the street. Unless the nut was chasing the guy. But the fact that you're trapped in a metal tube with a threatening person is an important component.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

One needn't have been on the train to know the facts I stated.

You’ve got your martyr. Enjoy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:43 pm 

I wonder how many people on the train that day had interacted with Neely on a previous trip?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:07 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hussra wrote:
"often"? it's way more often a nothing burger of momentary discomfort. if someone's making you uncomfortable on the subway, it's like 5 minutes between stops....jump out at the next stop and catch the next train.

Red Line is running about 18-minute headways in the evenings now, Blue Line closer to 30. That's a lot of time to wait around for more feral bums on fentanyl.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think the train is an important aspect in this story. If it's just some nut on the street, you can walk away. I would feel a lot differently if this had occurred on the street. Unless the nut was chasing the guy. But the fact that you're trapped in a metal tube with a threatening person is an important component.

The fight or flight mechanism has different parameters by necessity. To judge this situation from the comforts of our home doesn't seem to me, wise. There's a certain instinct that comes with people who've had altercations. I don't really trust someone's opinion who's never been in a physical altercation in their adult life. It's pollyanna to think because "I've never had an altercation, so therefore, I never will" leads to black and white judgements. Apparently 3 people read the situation as a pretty dangerous. That must be taken into account.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:17 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hussra wrote:
"often"? it's way more often a nothing burger of momentary discomfort. if someone's making you uncomfortable on the subway, it's like 5 minutes between stops....jump out at the next stop and catch the next train.

Red Line is running about 18-minute headways in the evenings now, Blue Line closer to 30. That's a lot of time to wait around for more feral bums on fentanyl.

sounds like a lost Tubes B-side

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:43 am 

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The fight or flight mechanism has different parameters by necessity. To judge this situation from the comforts of our home doesn't seem to me, wise. There's a certain instinct that comes with people who've had altercations. I don't really trust someone's opinion who's never been in a physical altercation in their adult life. It's pollyanna to think because "I've never had an altercation, so therefore, I never will" leads to black and white judgements. Apparently 3 people read the situation as a pretty dangerous. That must be taken into account.

What about choking out a guy for 15 minutes, especially after he's clearly passed out. Or maybe alerting the conductor before you kill the guy?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I think once the threat has been neutralized, ie the guy is unconscious, you can stop the restraining with the knowledge that of he goes crazy again you can wrap him up fairly quickly. In the meantime you can move vulnerable bystanders away. This stinks a bit.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
I think once the threat has been neutralized, ie the guy is unconscious, you can stop the restraining with the knowledge that of he goes crazy again you can wrap him up fairly quickly.

Isn't that what happened?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:24 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I think once the threat has been neutralized, ie the guy is unconscious, you can stop the restraining with the knowledge that of he goes crazy again you can wrap him up fairly quickly.

No. And that's a real fact.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I agree the dude had to take action but if you have any combat training then you know how to neutralize a guy without obstructing his airway. Plenty of jujitsu holds and other things could have been applied - you could have even broke his leg/ankle via submission hold to render him ineffective but still stayed on top of him anyway until police arrived.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What about choking out a guy for 15 minutes, especially after he's clearly passed out. Or maybe alerting the conductor before you kill the guy?

I'm only addressing the initial takedown. There seems to be people who think life is grand and shit just kinda resolves itself.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:
I'm only addressing the initial takedown. There seems to be people who think life is grand and shit just kinda resolves itself.

It kinda did resolve itself. New Yorkers who take the subway now have one less maniac who may push them onto the tracks or crack and old woman in the jaw to worry about .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

No. And that's a real fact.

Obviously you haven't watched the video. Because it's exactly what happened. He held the criminal as he was kicking his legs and was assisted by two other citizens, one of whom appeared to be "Of Color", and as soon as the criminal stopped attempting to get loose they released him. Those are the facts. And it's indisputable as much as you wish it were otherwise. For what reason I'm not sure. I suppose because you enjoy screaming about "RACISM!"

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
If that's true how did he die?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

So your position is crazy people should be allowed to threaten, assault, or kill others on a train and people have no right to defend themselves? They just have to accept injury or death on a train at the hands of a mentally ill person?

My position is lock them away at a funny farm or electrocute them. Either way no one wants to pay for my idea
As long as the electricity comes from wind, solar, or hydroelectric power I'll side with you on this.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
If that's true how did he die?

I guess that's for a coroner to decide.

As you said above, "once the threat has been neutralized, ie the guy is unconscious, you can stop the restraining." That's what the citizens did. The guy that has been charged was holding him down as he kicked and struggled to break free (possibly to make good on his threats). One of the other guys had his arm and said that he went limp. At that point he was released and the guy who has been charged moved him to a recovery position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next