It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cormac McCarthy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
One of the greatest American authors of all time.

Non Series:
The Orchard Keeper (1965)
Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)
Suttree (1979)
Blood Meridian: Or, the Evening Redness in the West (1985)
No Country for Old Men (2005)
The Road (2006)

Border Trilogy:
All the Pretty Horses (1992)
The Crossing (1994)
Cities of the Plain (1998)

Passenger:
The Passenger (2022)
Stella Maris (2022)

Plays
The Sunset Limited (2006)
The Stonemason (1994)
The Gardener's Son (1996)
The Counselor (2013)

Post subject: Re: Cormac McCarthy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:15 pm 

One of the classic greats. RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:44 pm 

Haven't read anything by him. What would you guys suggest to start with?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
RFDC wrote:
Haven't read anything by him. What would you guys suggest to start with?

Probably the Border Trilogy. All the Pretty Horses is a quick read and helps you grasp his style and his main themes. A good place to start. No Country for Old Men is another option. It's short, too.

Blood Meridian is the insane classic. There are a few websites that help fill in some of the details. The novel is not without its issues, but it will stay with you. It sort of burns into your brain the way an amazing landscape burns into your eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I read The Road and enjoyed it. Got through about 1/3 of Blood Meridian and put it down. No Country From Old Men is one of my favorite movies of all time. Definitely could tell a good story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
one of the best comic book writers of his time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
T-Bone wrote:
I read The Road and enjoyed it. Got through about 1/3 of Blood Meridian and put it down. No Country From Old Men is one of my favorite movies of all time. Definitely could tell a good story.

I had a somewhat similar outlook on him. No Country For Old Men is a fantastic movie, but I read All The Pretty Horses and had no desire to read anything else by him. The prose was very stark and the content brutal, which in and of itself is fine, but the book must have been lacking in story or character development if I wasn't moved to pick up another one of his books.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I had a somewhat similar outlook on him. No Country For Old Men is a fantastic movie, but I read All The Pretty Horses and had no desire to read anything else by him. The prose was very stark and the content brutal, which in and of itself is fine, but the book must have been lacking in story or character development if I wasn't moved to pick up another one of his books.

He writes(wrote) books based on his bad dreams. That was my impression after skimming through Blood Meridian.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

He writes(wrote) books based on his bad dreams. That was my impression after skimming through Blood Meridian.

Hell of a bad dream.

As much as people say that Blood Meridian is a condemnation of the White Man, the Comanche and the Mexicans come off pretty bad, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Hell of a bad dream.

As much as people say that Blood Meridian is a condemnation of the White Man, the Comanche and the Mexicans come off pretty bad, too.

I know, it's a fucking nightmare. Same goes for Terry Gilliam's work. It's just too disturbing for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Yeah his style and prose take some getting used to. The Road is a good starting point. Blood Meridian is a doozy, but very good. I'll be starting the Border Trilogy soon. Found a nice single volume a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
from The Atlantic mag...

Cormac McCarthy's Ex Wife Pulled A Gun Out Of Her Vagina During Argument About Aliens

In the annals of bizarre crime stories, even Cormac McCarthy couldn't come up with one this bizarre. Some sort of sexy version (?) of "guess where I put my gun, honey" turned ugly when 48-year-old Jennifer McCarthy of New Mexico (no, not that Jenny McCarthy) pulled a firearm out of her vagina (where else?) and pointed it at her boyfriend's head after a dispute over aliens (what else?) got a little too heated.
According to the Albuquerque Journal, McCarthy, reportedly stormed out during a fight over extraterrestrial life with her unnamed boyfriend and then returned with a plan for vengeance. The police report describes how she went to her bedroom, dressed up in lingerie, put the gun in a place no guns should go, then somehow performed an unspecified sex act with the gun insider her. Naturally, that was just a prelude to pulling the gun out, pointing it at her boyfriend, and asking the presumably rhetorical question "Who is crazy, you or me?" ...

https://archive.md/CSRg9#selection-829.0-869.162